Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What Birds Are You Bringing to the CHB Seminar?

+5
k.r.l
nuthatch333
poplar girl
Schipperkesue
liz
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

liz

liz
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I am planning to bring my worst Dorking and my best Dorking as well as my best Chantecler and my worst Chantecler. I find it easier to see the qualities of the breed when there is a vast difference between 2 birds of the same breed. Once we finish the seminar I think we should all get our Judging licenses Laughing

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Cornish Bantams- dark, white laced red and red laced white.

Liz, do you have any eating-sized or near eating-sized Dorkings you would like to sell?

Sue

liz

liz
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I don't have any eating Dorks right now but I am growing out a bunch of chicks.I am sure there will be some culls in that bunch.

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I am fighting with myself....I SO want to be there but it is quite a drive. DH is only supportive of a couple chicken events in Red Deer a year so I need to be picky. I would bring dorks too...a couple of the ones I think are best which may be worse than Liz's culls Rolling Eyes

Liz when is the deadline for deciding?

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I am bringing a speckled sussex hen for sure and I am undecided what else to bring.

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I will be bringing some Speckled Sussex one good (hopefully) and one poorer quality one.

Poplargirl this semianr will be well worth your time. The best way to improve your birds ( hence save you money / time
) is to have a professional look at your birds. Pictures are very deceiving. You can make a poor bird look good in the right picture or a good bird look poor depending on how it is taken. It will be well worth your time. Tell your hubby if he really loves you he would understand...

liz

liz
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

P.Girl you can let us know on Friday the 12th if you can attend. Might have another pullet for you if you are looking for more?

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

liz wrote:P.Girl you can let us know on Friday the 12th if you can attend. Might have another pullet for you if you are looking for more?

Oh....you evil evil wonderful lady! Maybe mine can be for Sue's eating dorks if Rico say's they are junk...not like I don't have more at home for my own eating enjoyment!

Okay, I will think about it. This really is an amazing opportunity to be passing up. Sigh. I will see what I can do.

duanescows

Well I am so excited. I will be able to take in the seminar. Now to decide what to bring? Dutch bantams - what colors? Standard Wyandottes - what colors? I sure hope Rico is in a good mood that day and that all mine don't become BBQ.
Hope to see lots of you there. Should be a very good learning experience.
Duane

coyoteacres

coyoteacres

I am thinking that moulting turkeys, or turkeys with tail feathers chewed off by the dog, probably wouldn't be adviseable. So, I will likey just bring a couple White Chanteclers. A good one, but not my best as i have to hide that from Liz. Maybe a poorer one, as well. Not sure if it would be worth bringing a few young bantams or White Rocks. They are definitely small and young, but perhaps i could get a little feedback on them as well.

http://www.coyoteacresranch.com

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am thinking I will also bring a very young blue Cochin (standard). It will be good to know what to look for in the breed when the birds are growing out.

Sue

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Should I have separate cages for my two birds or would one cage be OK??? I know one bird to bring but the second is a question.
My birds don't get handled that much so I am leaning toward separate cages. I have a young blue orph. but it is a spring chick so I am not sure if I should bring an adult Aussie or the young pullet. This is a rare opportunity to get professional advice I want to make the most of it.
I am so looking forward to the seminar, and meeting some of the faces that go with the names.

liz

liz
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I will be setting up show cages for the birds we are having a close look at. Feel free to bring whatever birds you have questions about. I have purchased some senior vitamins and we will have coffee and tea going all day so Judge Rico will be on his game for hours. Bring lots of birds!!

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Are beginning of April and May hatched birds too young?
And it's okay if they aren't groomed right, I can take them straight from the poultry pasture?

liz

liz
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Young birds are fine to have critiqued. Of course they can not be judged on size because they haven't finished growing but type and major D.Q.'s should be noticeable. I will be bringing many birds that are not bathed but I know Coyote acres birds will all be bathed.

coyoteacres

coyoteacres

Bathed, only if it rains.
Oh and since i listen to to country and CFCW, I caught a portion of something that is interesting.
It appears that Hugh MacClennan's wife is changing what she uses to wash her hair, as she found it runs down onto her body....Previously the product she was using increased body and volume. Now she is switching to Dawn dishwashing liquid, since it dissolves fat that is hard to get rid of.

Now in that vein, would it be appropriate to use volumizing shampoo when washing, or would this sort of be considered unethical behavior?

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

coyoteacres wrote:Bathed, only if it rains.
Oh and since i listen to to country and CFCW, I caught a portion of something that is interesting.
It appears that Hugh MacClennan's wife is changing what she uses to wash her hair, as she found it runs down onto her body....Previously the product she was using increased body and volume. Now she is switching to Dawn dishwashing liquid, since it dissolves fat that is hard to get rid of.

Now in that vein, would it be appropriate to use volumizing shampoo when washing, or would this sort of be considered unethical behavior?

Razz

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Sebas49

Sebas49

Patric, that is good. Amazing information when you listen to radio. Keep them coming.

http://www.c-rducks.com

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Nuthatch333 did you want me to bring the Speckled Sussex rooster for you?

liz

liz
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Steve hope you are bringing some ducks!!

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

K.R.L.
Yes I was hoping you might. If you want I can take him home with me from the seminar. I may have to put him in a bachelor pad until I get their honeymoon digs ready but he will be comfortable just lonely for a few days. We can figure it out at the seminar but definiately bring him.
See you then.

coyoteacres

coyoteacres

Looks like mother nature has decided that my birds won't be bathed prior to coming to Red Deer. Mind you, there is still tonight and the trip down.
Still trying to find a good one to bring.

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hope you all have a good time tomorrow, I will be with you in thoughts as I haul bales out of the field...Wishing we would have planned our train trip and travel through Red Deer for this weekend. Sad
Have fun and hopefully someone will take some pictures for us all.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

liz

liz
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I wish the H.R. family was coming. When your husband attends chicken events I have a reason to be inappropriate. Today I am the host and I will have to behave. We will see how that goes! Wink

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well Liz I think you did a pretty good job of hosting today and trying to avoid being inappropriate... but the evening entertainment was a tad questionable lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum