Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hornets this year?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hornets this year? Empty Hornets this year? Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:33 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

In line with my thread about weird weather, has anyone else noticed extra hornets this year?

As some of you know, I got stung finding a nest of black hornets in our flower bed. Now I've found a nest of yellow jackets in a fence post behind the hen house. I'm all for live and let live and I have left hornet nests alone before so long as they were in spots where noone would get bothered. This morning I saw them buzzing just because the fence shook a bit when I let the sheep out. They'll have to go.

I also saw some leaf cutter bees hauling leaves behind the siding of our house (we are residing so there is an exposed corner). They're probably OK. They'll likely be all done before I get removing that siding this year (IF I manage it this year, still stuff to do on other walls).

2Hornets this year? Empty Re: Hornets this year? Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:44 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

We have had so much rain lately, no time to really check things out. But I don't think I have seen any more than we ordinarily have. We have the paper wasps (some refer to them as yellowjackets) that are bothersome. They find every hole that they can find to make a nest in, particularly in the ends of the metal horse fencing that has the opening at the end of each rail. They were bad last year. But usually finding them most bothersome about this time, when they have raised their brood and then the brood and queen have found new places to begin to raise. They are troublesome with the honeybees in August. That is when I set up the beer traps for them, they so do love beer. That time is coming I am sure. When I find the nests where I can reach them, I knock them down and then run for the hills until things settle. That day is coming soon, I know it. Boy do they hurt when one gets a sting (or two in many cases). Never forget one year back on the coast, one flew into the outside of my ear and whacked me a couple of good times, pain for like two days and I could barely sleep, sigh....I know that day is coming nigh. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

3Hornets this year? Empty Re: Hornets this year? Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:22 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I haven’t noticed any over abundance of hornets here. What I have noticed is millions upon millions of fleas. Yuck. Our yard seems to be overrun with the nasty little things! Of course I blame the mice. Between the Pail, expensive veterinarian flea-killer spray, DE and No-Pest strips, I hope I finally got the problem licked in the mini-barn and run.

Fowler, what you need is some guineas! Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum