Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Impacted Crop

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Impacted Crop Empty Impacted Crop Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:22 am

okanagan_peppers

okanagan_peppers

I never thought to much about it before until just a couple of days ago. The question being weather or not to use straw over hay for chicken coops for bedding and flooring material? Well now.... I'll never use hay for my chicken coop. I thought this would be a good topic to bring up to learn from.

I've been keeping chickens for about 20 years and have been very lucking in never having to deal with impacted crop or sour crop. But this year I used hay because it was convenient and didn't see any problems. It became a problem when we went through our cold snap and I locked all the chickens in the coop until it passed. I think because they are use to and love grass, as all chickens/poultry do but my Lavender Orpington rooster developed impactacted crop. Luckily I caught it before it became sour crop. TG. right away I gave hime grapeseed oil via eye droppers and massaged his crop and started cooking up oatmeal, millet diced apples with more grape seed oil mixed in for his breakfast. I took about 24 hour before he started to pass some very long and fiberous strands of hay. I'm on day 3 now and he is looking so much better. I still make him cooked oatmeal.millet and got my lacto-fermented sprouted grain going again for winter and I also added grit as well to his oatmeal mixure. Gosh the poor guy. l

anyways I just wanted to share this experiance with you all, and I'm hoping he will continue to live a long life. And for now on I'll be using straw only. Anybody have more to add or share would be wecomed. I have enjoyed reading everyones experiances and opinions on this forum.

Have a great day all.

2Impacted Crop Empty Re: Impacted Crop Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:29 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

never thought of that possibility!
i often feed alfalfa fines to chickens in winter but that is mostly leaves.
i bedded my ducks on hay this year and they seem to like it a lot
thanks for the info...glad u were able to help him out!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

3Impacted Crop Empty Re: Impacted Crop Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:04 am

Derbyshire

Derbyshire

How did you know he had an impacted crop?

4Impacted Crop Empty Re: Impacted Crop Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:48 pm

okanagan_peppers

okanagan_peppers

Derbyshire wrote:How did you know he had an impacted crop?

The first thing that happened, was while we were having our cold snap and all chickens were locked up in the coop, I went in to do my chicken dutties and my Lavender roo took a watery poop. Although this was unusual cause they've all had pretty solid poop I brushed it off as being maybe because I locked them up and diet had changed, So I just kept an eye on him. Finally a few days later (maybe 5 days) cold snap was done so I started to let them outside again. One day I noticed that he lost his balance and kinda stumbled so I picked him up and although being very young (4 months old). he was alot thinner than what he should be. The next day I noticed something strange again and this time it was that he had what looked like what they call "Pendulous crop" this got me researching and that was when I decided he had a imapcted crop or sour crop. I picked him up to smell his breath to see if he had what people described as a horrible sour smell. He didn't so I started to treat him as he had a impacted crop and do whatever I could to dislodge & break it up. I'm still not so sure if I have all of it out yet. His crop is alot smaller though and a normal shape and he is at least in the mornings after my special breakfast having solid poops. He is steading on his feet and acting like a young roo. I'm still keeing a close eye on him. Giving him special soft foods with oil and crop messages in the mornings and trying to fatten him up. So I got my fingers crossed.

5Impacted Crop Empty Re: Impacted Crop Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:01 pm

Derbyshire

Derbyshire

Okanagan peppers- good job, you are clearly keeping a close eye on your birds- someone else would have missed the early symptoms (now I know what they are too, thanks for sharing). I am sure he will be fine with all that TLC you are giving him. Like a Star @ heaven

6Impacted Crop Empty Re: Impacted Crop Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:01 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sheesh. Thankin' the lucky stars that you noticed this and are working on it. I have honestly, in my years of keeping chooks, had impacted nor sour crop either, and hope not to. I recall another forum member, who no longer hangs out on this particular forum, had impacted crop and performed surgery to remove the debris, successfully I might add and I take my hat off to her for going to that length. Anyways, neither here nor there. I think that hay is very bad for chickens and this is why I think that. One time a couple of years ago, I ran out of that golden straw, could not get it anywhere, so I resorted to taking some of Daughters hay, in a bale and made a couple of nest box material using that. The chickens would eat it, or try to, I removed the hay as soon as I saw that, which was not long after I put it in. I used shavings until I could get straw, which was not too long. I saw a chicken take a piece of hay and it was long and she tried to get that entire length down her throat. I saw her doing this and watched her, it took her a couple of minutes and it still was only half way down. Crikey. So I went over and got that bird and slowly pulled that hay back out. I think that hay would have certainly caused an impacted crop, it freaked me out, hence my action to remove all that hay. Blah. I absolutely know what you are talking about, and I would absolutely never again use hay for bedding. Straw only. they don't eat straw, smiling that big smile. I have thought about putting a bale of alfalfa in for the chooks to pull apart and have fun with, but then thought better of that too, there are long strands in the alfalfa bales, as well as leafy stuff. For sure, stay away from hay for bedding, that is my opinion. Others might have smarter chooks, but mine are not that smart, they eat the stupidist things. Hope all fares well with your cockerel! Keep us up to date about this, and have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

7Impacted Crop Empty Re: Impacted Crop Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:32 am

okanagan_peppers

okanagan_peppers

Hi Cynthia
yah I just wastched a video this morning of a vet doing surgery on a hen with a impacted crop, yuke!

Just wondering being that you are in the Grinrod/Enderby area do you know of someone selling small straw bales? I was going out to Enderby on Saturday (weather permitting) and thought I seen some for sale just past the Log Barn and just before Enderby. But won't know till I drive out that way. Any hoo if you know some where or some one it would be greatly appreciated, I'd rather have a back up plan just in case I am wrong about this straw bale farm address. Thanks and have a great day Smile

8Impacted Crop Empty Re: Impacted Crop Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:03 pm

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have been using hay exclusively for all bedding and nesting material for my chickens for the past 3 years. I too have been a little alarmed by them trying to eat a long piece and running around for hours with it sticking out of their mouths...but they eventually deal with it. Never had an issue with an impacted crop.

9Impacted Crop Empty Re: Impacted Crop Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:59 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

okanagan_peppers wrote:Hi Cynthia
yah I just wastched a video this morning of a vet doing surgery on a hen with a impacted crop, yuke!

Just wondering being that you are in the Grinrod/Enderby area do you know of someone selling small straw bales? I was going out to Enderby on Saturday (weather permitting) and thought I seen some for sale just past the Log Barn and just before Enderby. But won't know till I drive out that way. Any hoo if you know some where or some one it would be greatly appreciated, I'd rather have a back up plan just in case I am wrong about this straw bale farm address. Thanks and have a great day  Smile

Good morning. There is a fellow that used to be on the highway just after the log barn, on the right, as you are heading into Enderby, but I haven't seen that straw sign anymore. There is another fellow that lives up the road that goes left up the hill, just after the log barn, like almost across the road from it,weird name that road, something like McKeechie or something like that, it only goes to the left, he does sell straw, I bought straw off him about a month and a half ago, he may still have straw. I am taking this to email (not PM, as I don't get on the forum as often as email) and I will give you his name. I would suggest that you phone him and ask. I know I too have to go and get a couple of bales of straw from him. Last year I did not have a private source for straw and had to buy at a commercial store at over double what I could get it from the farm for, terrible....and then they did not have any of that beautiful golden straw come late spring when I needed it, just crappy, horrible straw, so I am loading up. I only use about 3 bales a year, so can fit it in big, big black bags in my car, smiling that big smile....so I do. I like to keep the straw in the black bags anyways, as I can keep it clean and get out only what I need. Taking this to email and I'll give you his number too. Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

10Impacted Crop Empty Re: Impacted Crop Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:25 am

okanagan_peppers

okanagan_peppers

Thanks Cynthia I'll go check my emails. I think I know the place your talking about I bought from him a few years ago.

Although my rooster is doing alot better, he is moving his head/neck around to dislodge the thing IMO It took along time to get a poop out of him yesterday but he's active and alert and his comb is alot brighter. When I was younger I would have never thought I'd be discussing chicken pooh. LOL or cooking up specoal breakfasts for chickens. That said I better get cooking some millet for him. Thanks again

11Impacted Crop Empty Re: Impacted Crop Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:44 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Keep us posted on the male please. This is such a good learning curve for all of us and sharing is good. I always worry about that. One time I had a cochin old gal last summer, that had what I would think is termed "pendulous crop", as she would walk and eat from the ground it would waver from side to side. I felt it and it felt kind of mushy. Didn't do anything about it and just waited, it was find the next day. I think she just gorged or something. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

12Impacted Crop Empty Re: Impacted Crop Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:39 am

okanagan_peppers

okanagan_peppers

Well I figure I would post an update today on my young roo.... today is the first day that his croop looks and feel normal, whoo hoo. and what a pain finding straw at this time of year!

13Impacted Crop Empty Re: Impacted Crop Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:54 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh that is so good to hear....that fellow in Enderby did not have straw. I will know better next year when straw becomes available to stock up a little more. I use about 3 bales, maybe 4 a year....I did get some from Buckerfields in Salmon Arm that weekend. It seems like it is the nice golden straw (probably Mr. Delong's, that fellow's). I got two bales, should last me until the fall now. You should phone Buckerfields and ask if they have the NICE golden straw. Not that crap that they can get. I tried to get some in the spring, past, and it was horrible crap, full of ichy long grassy stuff. I took it back and just made do with using shavings for the remainder of the year, which is awful crap to have in nest boxes too, cause it just blows out. Oh bother. Do phone Buckerfields though....someone MUST have golden beautiful straw still....maybe internet shopping? Or if you got some, where did you get it? Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

14Impacted Crop Empty Re: Impacted Crop Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:57 am

okanagan_peppers

okanagan_peppers

CynthiaM wrote:You should phone Buckerfields and ask if they have the NICE golden straw.  Not that crap that they can get.  I tried to get some in the spring, past, and it was horrible crap, full of ichy long grassy stuff.  I took it back and just made do with using shavings for the remainder of the year, which is awful crap to have in nest boxes too, cause it just blows out.  Oh bother.  Do phone Buckerfields though....someone MUST have golden beautiful straw still....maybe internet shopping?  Or if you got some, where did you get it?  Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

I may do that Cynthia. I ended up going to a old client of mine in Enderby on Brickyard road. He only had the very large round bales. sigh I have searched high and low on the internet and have asked other farmers as well....noting to be found. Also check Britelands in Vernon and they were out as well.

I think what might of helped/caused this partial impacted crop in my young guy was the dominating rooster in the coop. Possibly keeping the younger one away from the feeding are and causing him to gorge and eat extra hay. Just speculation on my part. But since I've separated the roosters a few maybe 5 days ago he's greatly improved. So I'm glad Smile Thanks again

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum