Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How to outsmart an owl??

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How to outsmart an owl?? Empty How to outsmart an owl?? Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:22 am

Beep

Beep

Oh help. An owl has been getting my turkey poults. They are mama-raised and we've never had a problem till just recently. It was getting the free-ranging babies by scaring mama off the babies at night then grabbing a couple for its dinner. We have an almost-fully netted area where I had another mama turkey and her 3 8 week old babies, plus the other mama with her now only baby. It got in there last night. Ate the littlest babe and 1 larger one, and just killed the 3rd. Sad I have 1 older babe left. I guess I will make sure the entire thing is netted for tonight, though it's probably full and I won't see it for a couple nights now. The only open part of the net is directly below a couple of huge pine trees. Can owls just drop straight down?? And will the extra netting do the trick or will it slice through that? Question

2How to outsmart an owl?? Empty Re: How to outsmart an owl?? Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:28 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

You would be amazed at what owls can get in. If there is an open area in the netting, they "will" find it. Suspect

Do you have a coop you can close all the turkeys in completely "before" dusk? I\'m Sorry That you are losing so many to that darn owl.

I wouldn't count on it coming back in a couple of days. If it's just killing and leaving them, it will be back. Sad

3How to outsmart an owl?? Empty Re: How to outsmart an owl?? Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:20 pm

Beep

Beep

We've netted over the hole and so the turkeys stay in the netted area overnight now and so far so good. Thanks Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum