Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ravens friend or foe

+3
Farmchiq
Schipperkesue
karona
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ravens friend or foe Empty Ravens friend or foe Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:58 am

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I know that word will stir a lot of you into a rage.

But this year I decided to try something.

Every morning I would take my dirty eggs and put them
on the snow bank for the ravens. My theory was if they
think this is home they will defend it. And so they did.
I witnessed them sending off eaggles several times beating
a hawk up and even chased a fox off that was about 10 ft from
the chicken coop. I know only give them eggs when I find
a hidden nest. Also if they were well fed on eggs maybe
they would not go after other smaller bird eggs as their
bellys were already full. So I have guard llama's, guard turkey tom,
and guard ravens.

2Ravens friend or foe Empty Re: Ravens friend or foe Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:35 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

So, are you training the ravens...or are they training you?  Laughing 

3Ravens friend or foe Empty Re: Ravens friend or foe Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:15 pm

Farmchiq

Farmchiq

I like the thinking behind this. Let us know how it works out as you hatch chicks and other things take place. Nice way to try to deal with a predator.

4Ravens friend or foe Empty Re: Ravens friend or foe Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:48 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I've done this for years with our crows. They nest just a short ways off in the trees. No hawk, eagle or raven comes into our air space without being mobbed.

5Ravens friend or foe Empty Re: Ravens friend or foe Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:11 pm

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Fowler do they also keep song birds away?
That is one thing I worry about as I like all
the sounds of the little birds.

As for chicks mine are kept inside untill
sold and if I am keeping any they stay in
until several months old.

6Ravens friend or foe Empty Re: Ravens friend or foe Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:18 am

Reneggaide

Awesome. The ravens bring their babies here to grow. The fun and games are left to the natural prey. My chicks run free range with all the rest and to date not a loss since last spring's fox. A fox that was driven out of range by a newly purchased neighbor with ethical evils in mind, mind you. My loss really, but the coyotes..er..um, pooped out the culprit onto my daily path in a gesture of respect, which by the way we all owe to each other dont we?

At the end of the season the falcons do a sweep through the area for 3 days of pandemonium that propels the songbirds south, i suppose, i dont really know where they go but they all go after 3 days of wild flight for life. The rest of the year is mostly cat-like calm or pandemonium as the cats wish it to be lol. They all know the chickens and stuff are off limits. We have owls ravens hawks eagles falcons coyotes fox martin weasel wolf cougar and no trouble really.

I dont get it either, ok im lying, still...?????

7Ravens friend or foe Empty Re: Ravens friend or foe Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:51 pm

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I agree with this, having spent over twenty years in BC, the crow capital of the world, I was not kindly disposed to them. However once I came to Alberta and had chickens I was lucky enough to have several pairs of crows nesting close to my coop where I free ranged my birds. I can't speak to their effectiveness on foxes and coyotes, but every flying predator was promptly chased away. It was great.

8Ravens friend or foe Empty Re: Ravens friend or foe Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:48 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

No effect on the songbirds.  I have loads coming to bird feeders.  They clear out when a crow comes in to see what he can find but they come right back when he leaves.

I should add, I toss the eggs (great way to get rid of old, very dirty or crackes ones) in a spot where they are easily spotted and I do it in the morning to be sure they have them cleaned up by nightfall. I'm sure the coons and foxes come around anyway but I don't want to reward them for it.

9Ravens friend or foe Empty Re: Ravens friend or foe Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:05 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Best thing I did (unintentionally) is to have the pig field near enough to the chicken houses that i can toss ugly eggs (beyond dirty, old, cracked) out the door and into the pig pasture. Crows hope to get some but the pigs are like piranahs....

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum