Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Self mutalating hen

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Self mutalating hen Empty Self mutalating hen Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:09 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

My queen bee has suddenly be shaken and I have no idea scratch  what could have done it but she is now self harming. I was out cleaning their coop for the last couple days and have noticed that she has gone from being Queen queen  to being an underling. She has also started to pick at her own tail. Causing it to bleed out everywhere. The white turkey she was sitting beside is now red  affraid 

Has anyone had this happen to them?
Is there some kind of spray that I can use on hens to help clean and heal, or am I stuck with stop pick?

2Self mutalating hen Empty Re: Self mutalating hen Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:03 am

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

What about blu kote? No idea what would cause this, other than just looking back, seeing blood and thinking it would be a divine treat.

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.com/

3Self mutalating hen Empty Re: Self mutalating hen Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:39 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

was she moulting?  moulting can cause a hen to be lower on the pecking order.  if she is getting new quills when they first emerge they are full of blood  and other hens or the hen herself may pick at th causing the bleeding.  best thing I can suggest would be covering her tail feathers with a chicken saddle that is long enough to come to base of her tail.. also check for lice or mites.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

4Self mutalating hen Empty Re: Self mutalating hen Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:50 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have seen this Blu-kote stuff at the local feed store  Very Happy  I think I will try it. Thanks Sweetened

Sadly enough I wish she was moulting but that's finished awhile back. I checked and she didn't or doesn't have any bugs. And this is what bothers me so. There is NO "real" reason for her picking. If I understand it correctly once they start its a hard thing to stop. Do they taste blood? Do they taste anything? They must they like certain foods more than others.

(argh excuse me while I rip my hair out)

I worry that even if I separate her she will still pick. What a freakin rock and a hard place.

Thanks all

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum