Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

first time having roosters processed

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1first time having roosters processed Empty first time having roosters processed Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:39 am

vic's chicks

We are going to have 8 roosters processed on Monday. They told us to check them for lice and mites the night before and if they have any, to dust them an hour before bringing them. Is this OK? It seems like not a very good thing to put poison on the skin of a bird that you are wanting to eat just before killing it. I haven't checked my birds in awhile so I hope they don't have any. My Husband is too busy right now to spend the time to do them.

2first time having roosters processed Empty Re: first time having roosters processed Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:35 am

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

They probably want you to use food grade diatomaceous earth.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

3first time having roosters processed Empty Re: first time having roosters processed Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:02 am

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Where are you taking them? Doesn't seem to make sense to dust them the day before processing. I'd rather not have any fresh pesticide reside on the birds myself...and it kinda seems a little too late even if the chickens have lice/mites as they will be eaten anyhow....I would think the boiling water would take care of anything, unless they have plans for the feathers (maybe fly-tying or something?) and then mites would destroy the feathers I would think...wierd. I've taken my birds to two different places on the island and never heard that.

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

4first time having roosters processed Empty Re: first time having roosters processed Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:30 pm

vic's chicks

My husband said that they would be shut down if they were inspected and found to have lice. My friend had her birds processed there. Paradise Meadows Poultry. It says right on their website they won't process any birds with lice or mites.

5first time having roosters processed Empty Re: first time having roosters processed Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:43 pm

Nom_de_Plume

Nom_de_Plume

Well I can understand why they wouldn't want to process birds with mites, those little buggers get everywhere. They also leave scabbing on the skin from where they've bitten the bird so they are harder to process.

6first time having roosters processed Empty Re: first time having roosters processed Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:34 pm

vic's chicks

I don't blame them either. I was just concerned about the dusting powder. I don't have to worry anyway. We just checked our birds. No sign of any bugs of any kind. Whew!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum