Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chicken skin cooking

+3
mirycreek
Schipperkesue
CynthiaM
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chicken skin cooking Empty Chicken skin cooking Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:24 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

This is not about recipes, so really do not know which forum to put my thoughts under. Oh well, shall proceed. I have a good many young roosters that will be consumed over the next year. I am trying the most and best ways of cooking them. Test dummies ourselves here. I know an old rooster, like the one I cooked that was 2.5 years old was rubber meat. Especially that rubber thick skin. The breast was tender, but boy. Have heard that if he had been cooked all day, he would have been tender. But the skin, not sure how that could have been tenderized. Moot point right now. No old birds around now and the ones in the freezer are young, tender, no older than 24 weeks.

Have tried cooking the male for about 2 hours at 250 degrees and then browning the skin for about 15 minutes at 350. This works, but this is a process, to ensure that two different temperatures are used, slow cooking and browning. Time consuming. But yes, works well.

I slow cooked a male the other day. Meat was glorious and tender, all of it. But being in my slow cooker, the skin did not brown. So I just took off the skin and it was tender, oh so tender, but not crisp. I put the skin in some water, swished and whirled it around to get all the flavour out of the skin, from the seasonings and put that little bit of seasoned water in the gravy. And let the dogs have the skin for a snack. It was soft and not something that I would have liked to eat. I was thinking about how much I love the browned skin when I brown the bird when I bake it. Wondered about something.

I am going to slow cook another bird in the same manner. I am going to remove the skin after cooking and I am NOT going to wash that skin in water to get off the flavours and seasoning. I am going to treat that skin like I do the skin on pork, the ham skin. I am going to take that skin off, put on a little pan and then put in my little toaster oven (much like I would do it in the oven), and turn on hot and then brown the skin that way. Yep. That’s what I’m gonna do. I love the skin and I am not worried about too much fat at all, cause I don’t think there is a lot of fat on these young males. I am in experiment mode and I bet my bottom dollar gonna have some very nice rooster skin cracklin’s. Just how I love the pig skin cracklin’s. Oh boy, mouth watering so early in the morning, thinking about chicken skin cracklin’s.

I always remove the skin when I am carving up the bird meat anyways, so why not take a chance to dry out the bird by putting in the oven at a high temperature to brown the skin. Whatcha think? Anyone think this is a good plan? Well, would just like to hear some thoughts on this. I know when I get Daughter to bake a chicken for us next time, I am going to suggest this. She loves the crispies as much as I do. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

2Chicken skin cooking Empty Re: Chicken skin cooking Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:39 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sounds like a good plan, Cynthia!

I am reminded of the father of a friend of mine. He has 5 daughters. He went to the butcher to complain. "You sell every part of the chicken except the part my daughters like best!" The butcher responded, "We sell every part of the chicken, sir!" To which he replied, "Well then, I will take three pounds of skin please!"

3Chicken skin cooking Empty Re: Chicken skin cooking Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:44 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

might be a plan Cynthia. ..careful not to start a fire though....pretty flammable stuff skin.....we dont have such a thing...ours goes off with the pelt but we are used to it that way I guess.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

4Chicken skin cooking Empty Re: Chicken skin cooking Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:32 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

5Chicken skin cooking Empty Re: Chicken skin cooking Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:22 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Cynthia, Darn the skin is the best part Embarassed  If you have access to an oven, I would put it wrapped up in tinfoil, on a cookie sheet in

the oven. With it wrapped up over the skin. Then take it out and baste it if you can. Each basting making the skin tastier and

browner. Take the tinfoil off when it's starting to get brown, then baste and let it get browner and should be ready to eat. Hopefully

nice, crisp and yummy. cheers 

6Chicken skin cooking Empty Re: Chicken skin cooking Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:21 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh man, this is funny. I am going to do exactly what Lady Leghorn said and bake the living daylights out of the chicken skin, with all the spices on it that I do put on. nevermind giving to the dogs. Coronary. Maybe. Who knows. doubt it. Live a pretty healthy lifestyle. Kind of. Doesn't matter. I like some things and they are probably just horrible for me. But. I like certain things and if that makes me happy, I bet my bottom dollar I will be going to the great beyond from being happy with things I eat, not stressed out because I ate things that did not fill the need to be happy when I eat. I am laughing. Really, I am. My youngest Daughter is mere mirror image of me with lifestyle and foods we eat. The oldest Daughter, right from the get go at a very young age (gack, can thank my Mother for that, she was rather odd and she was into health stuff like I never could imagine). She is health queen, everything healthy. The other day she even bought me a squeeze bottle of low fat Miracle Whip. Really? Don't think so, that stuff is crap, doesn't even taste the same as the high fat Miracle Whip Smile, the regular I mean. What do you do? She is always on me about eating healthy. And I do, mostly, I freakin' love fat and probably will never stop eating fat. Especially a grilled pork chop with crispy fat on it. Yummeeee! Give me fat. I burn it off, I am a slender woman, well sort of, my belly is kind of fat, but I am lean and mean. Can't wait for youngest Daughter and I to have that skin of the chicken I am going to prepare the next time we have chicken dinner at her place, oh bad girls! Oldest Daughter will be wanting to give us both spankings!! And I LOVE butter, and I love sprouting my own greens. Oops, gotta go and get some more alfalfa and wheat sprouting!

Tara, for surely I clearly recall the doily, and the tales of your family in such hard times, so long, long ago, so sad and I am happy for your Grandmother that she came to the realization that your farm was a work of love, not one to toil over, as the Grandparents did. Those were incredible times. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

7Chicken skin cooking Empty Re: Chicken skin cooking Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:16 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am very fortunate to have my old stove blow up and hubby bought me a new double oven with convection bake! That works awesome for crisping the skin while still on the bird!! I get nice tender meat and gorgeous crisp skin when I do the convection bake!! I'm spoiled I know but I also love the crispy skin.

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

8Chicken skin cooking Empty Re: Chicken skin cooking Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:34 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Cynthia & Smokyriver............We are all bad, but Cynthia is right, if we're going to die, (and we all will eventually) we might as well die

happy. Eating our crispy chicken, turkey skins etc. Yummy. Cynthia, good luck with that chicken skin. Yum, yum, yum. Very Happy 

Smokyriver........Bet your really happy that old stove blew up, lol Did it have any help? Suspect  Lol. Hope you enjoy it, sounds

great.

9Chicken skin cooking Empty chicken skin Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:18 pm

jocelyn

Cynthia, it sounds just yummy. I love the skin too. I should add, go for it, as I've always eaten it, am plump, over 60 and have normal cholesterol. Life is not fair, some can eat it and some can't. Just like eggs, 20 years ago, eggs were going to kill you, never eat more than 2 a week, now it's eat all you want unless you are geneticlly unlucky and it puts your cholesterol up.Laughing  enjoy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum