Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

An idea for next year

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1An idea for next year Empty An idea for next year Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:13 am

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Booths at Agribition are surprisingly cheap. The 'small farm' stuff ends up in the family section and consists of terrible looking broiler chickens and turkeys (which kids still love, but are just... ill representations of what all this is about). I've been thinking of founding a group like.. Canadian Small Farm Alliance or... Canadian Homesteaders Underground. It'd have its own newsletter and registry and so on; maybe there's something like it already.

Either way, I was thinking if something like that was developed, why not a booth at agribition with some of our beautiful birds and/or animals, information on solutions for small farms based on experience in the great white north/praries.

Is this something YOU'd be interest in seeing in an event like Agribition or Farm Progress? Would you be interested in being involved in it? If interested in the booth or involvement, what would you want to or think should be displayed/shown off?

a 10ft wide 'standard' booth is $1000 for the week. Split amongst a group of people for the potential return = cheap.

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.com/

2An idea for next year Empty Re: An idea for next year Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:37 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

3An idea for next year Empty Re: An idea for next year Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:20 am

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

HigginsRAT wrote:I believe the only real ugly is the timing regarding seasonal weather...I understand during the REST of the year, people ARE busy doing what they do...like farming, ranching (Christmas hollidays in there some place too) BUT it is a time of year that many of us would rather snuggle in, take care of the beasties and birdies, and NOT have to travel too far a field.

I personally would not be keen to travel and have reservations about travelling WITH creatures in the conditions we often experience, Nov 11 to 16 this year not terrible but it does get ugly some years, very!  

Otherwise it sounds like a good idea...  cheers

Could Canadian Heritage Breeds also join in?  Kinda close timing to the Red Deer show though, so maybe a bit spread thin or maybe you don't want to involve groups?

Glad you observed that the birds being presented sorta sucked.  If people don't know, they can't weigh out the options decently.  I personally was all against Rick wanting turkeys because I truly did not know of any other than the BBB's and they did not suit my fancy of what I wanted to raise.  Told him, "What do you want THOSE for?," thinking busted legs, heart attacks, less than stellar personalities, AI, and copious amounts of poo!  

"Really?  You want turkeys??" tongue

Then I met my first heritage turks (Bourbon Reds) and I was lost in I love you!!!

The first introduction <hit> is free...hooked (lined and sinker) for life!  Suspect

Nice strategy Sweetened, in seeing this need and this solution--good opportunity to promote what we all love--share the addictions, more the merrier.  Twisted Evil

Tara
I can see the weather being an issue as well -- We were somewhat lucky this year, weather wise, though we had some freezing rain over the last day and a half or so. I think though, that that shouldn't exclude Smaller city homesteaders who do canning and the like. Though it's not ideal to only be able to go that route, that is part of homesteading and a skill/art that's being lost, and something I want to bring attention to/learn myself.

I was thinking about Canadian Heritage Breeds, surprised not to see them in the show at all.

4An idea for next year Empty Re: An idea for next year Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:42 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweetened wrote:

I was thinking about Canadian Heritage Breeds, surprised not to see them in the show at all.

CHB is a young club, with most members in Alberta. It is difficult for people who have to divide their time among work and hobby and farm to get involved in too many projects, especially far away ones that involve a bit of planning. But I have an idea. Why don't you and your chickeny friends join the CHB and take on this challenge next year!

5An idea for next year Empty Re: An idea for next year Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:57 am

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Schipperkesue wrote:
Sweetened wrote:

CHB is a young club, with most members in Alberta.  It is difficult for people who have to divide their time among work and hobby and farm to get involved in too many projects, especially far away ones that involve a bit of planning.  But I have an idea.  Why don't you and your chickeny friends join the CHB and take on this challenge next year!
See? Things I don't know!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum