Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pomegranates...

+3
uno
coopslave
Kimberly K
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pomegranates... Empty Pomegranates... Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:00 pm

Kimberly K

Kimberly K

So about a week or so ago my mother in-law bought us a good two dozen of these wonderful, delicious balls of goodness. Problem is, it's only myself and my 2 1/2 year old that eats them and I still have a dozen left. Kinda getting pomegranate out. I was just wondering if any of you have fed them to your chickens? Or can you even feed them to chickens?

2Pomegranates... Empty Re: Pomegranates... Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:10 pm

I would pull the seeds out and freeze them. You can add them to smoothies or whatever later. Don't "waste" them on the chickens!

3Pomegranates... Empty Re: Pomegranates... Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:15 pm

Kimberly K

Kimberly K

Never thought of freezing them! Fabulous idea!

4Pomegranates... Empty Re: Pomegranates... Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:52 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh, one of my favourite deserts is Massacre in a Snow Storm. You need pomegranates to make it.

If you can get a hold of those, not sure what they are called here, meringue baskets is what they were in Australia. Crispy, white, meringue pockets you could put fruit in.

Anyways, find something like that and crumble them up. Make whipped cream, the real stuff and maybe not a sweet as regular, but do it to taste. Then gently fold the whipped cream, crumbled meringue and lots of pomegranates. Massacre in a snow storm!!

5Pomegranates... Empty Re: Pomegranates... Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:20 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Now I have a craving and I will be buying massacre ingredients next time I am in town.....

6Pomegranates... Empty Re: Pomegranates... Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:31 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Massacre in a Snowstorm? Only the Aussies would think of something like that. I think we have to give it a Canadian name. Like...Teeth knocked out in a Hockey Fight. LIttle red bits in a swirl of snow and ice. Perfect!

7Pomegranates... Empty Re: Pomegranates... Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:36 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote: Canadian name. Like...Teeth knocked out in a Hockey Fight. LIttle red bits in a swirl of snow and ice. Perfect!
Love it Uno!!!!

8Pomegranates... Empty Re: Pomegranates... Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:52 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:Massacre in a Snowstorm? Only the Aussies would think of something like that. I think we have to give it a Canadian name. Like...Teeth knocked out in a Hockey Fight. LIttle red bits in a swirl of snow and ice. Perfect!
Good point...and truth be told, does an Aussie really know what a snowstorm is anyway?

9Pomegranates... Empty Re: Pomegranates... Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:56 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hey, you should make your meringues. They are simply egg white and sugar, slow baked and allowed to cool in the oven over-night.
We make them to help use up excess eggs. At least that is the excuse Razz
Thanks for the massacre idea. My son will love it!

10Pomegranates... Empty Re: Pomegranates... Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:46 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

auntieevil wrote:Hey, you should make your meringues. They are simply egg white and sugar, slow baked and allowed to cool in the oven over-night.
We make them to help use up excess eggs. At least that is the excuse Razz
Thanks for the massacre idea. My son will love it!
oh too right Auntieevil, too right!  we make pav's too.  They do seem to need a lot of whipped cream which I find irresistible, just as well  -  it is most definitely good for filling in the cracks if one's pav doesn't look like a bought one when it comes out of the oven -  as I say, mine seldom look like bought ones Suspect Suspect.   I'll put a post up in the recipe's section if it hasn't been done all ready for making pavlova/meringue.  Just the shizzle for us eggy kids.  yup, mouth watering.  feel a pav coming along  -  need to go crack the whip (or beg) the girls to get their game on.  Pomegranate would be sooooooooo nice on there, counter act the sweet with a bit of tangy and the red would look wonderful, bleeding all over . . . no, not a lot of snow storms in Aus   -  maybe a little dusting now and then but nothing like here.  I like Uno's name  -  traitor to the southern hemisphere once again (but no disrespeck Shocked ),

11Pomegranates... Empty Re: Pomegranates... Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:01 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Magelan, I find the Pavs are different than Meringues. I am not sure why they are, will not make Pavlovas in this house!! Hubby made the mistake of saying, over and over again, how nobody makes a Pav like his mothers. Not even gonna bother to try after hearing that the first 10 years of marriage (just figured out we have been together for 20 years this Nov!!).
Many people made them for him in Australia, usually followed by comments to me later like "almost as good as moms" or "not any thing like moms" but he has not had one since back in Canada. I have to say a Pavlova would not be the same for me without passion fruit on it anyways.

12Pomegranates... Empty Re: Pomegranates... Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:44 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

coopslave wrote:Magelan, I find the Pavs are different than Meringues.  I am not sure why they are, will not make Pavlovas in this house!!  Hubby made the mistake of saying, over and over again, how nobody makes a Pav like his mothers.  Not even gonna bother to try after hearing that the first 10 years of marriage (just figured out we have been together for 20 years this Nov!!).
Many people made them for him in Australia, usually followed by comments to me later like "almost as good as moms" or "not any thing like moms" but he has not had one since back in Canada.  I have to say a Pavlova would not be the same for me without passion fruit on it anyways.  
That really stinks when you can never live up to your partners mother.  they know not what they do when they do that thing pale .  I shall educate my boys on this.  Had he known he was erasing the potential of pavs in his future love nest he may have thought better of those comments??  

I know what you mean about there being a diff between pav and meringues  -  maybe it is because the size of the cake spooned on to the baking tray is different that it behaves differently when cooking.  I use the same recipie for either size and usually cooks differently.  My experience with shop bought meringues is that they seem to be all crunchy and pavs seem to be crunchy on the top and mostly marshmellowy inside.  Best meringues I ever had were home done and thick crunchy on outside and caramelly chewy on inside  -  a legend I have never been able to replicate  -  tho I try and love all the failed attempts along the way Embarassed .

13Pomegranates... Empty Re: Pomegranates... Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:16 pm

niglefritz

Why not plant a few for a few houseplants or garden plants? I have 4 growing right now. They are easy to propagate.

14Pomegranates... Empty Re: Pomegranates... Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:03 pm

niglefritz wrote:Why not plant a few for a few houseplants or garden plants? I have 4 growing right now. They are easy to propagate.
Like wise , mine is about a foot and a few inch's right now , four stems though so it will be interesting

15Pomegranates... Empty Re: Pomegranates... Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:09 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

How do you propagate them? We had them in the garden at one place in Australia. Loved having them on had, but the local four legged, pouched and winged population liked them too.

16Pomegranates... Empty Re: Pomegranates... Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:30 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

coopslave wrote:How do you propagate them?  We had them in the garden at one place in Australia.  Loved having them on had, but the local four legged, pouched and winged population liked them too.
would that four legged pouched creature be the infamous flying opussum, rarely seen by the naked eye and certainly not during daylight? Razz 

I have avocados sprouted in a large pot plant for a house plant maybe a bit like you folks have these pomegranates - nice bit of flora for the winter months.

17Pomegranates... Empty Re: Pomegranates... Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:20 pm

niglefritz

I bought a book that is called, "Don't Throw It, Grow It." It is a great book to show how to grow plants from the fruit, vegetables, and spices found in the stores. I have also looked up how to grow certain things on You Tube.

I have lemon grass, dragon fruit, and a mango right now, and have done ginger and sweet potato, but I just can't get an avocado nor any citrus to sprout from seed...but I will keep trying.

Here is a great site as well for buying rare seed...and it is in Canada: http://rarexoticseeds.ca/ I have a few types on my wish list one day when I have more room. Very Happy I only wish that they had a true cinnamon tree. You can get them in the US, but I have never found them here. Sad

Have fun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L56qt8AMULA

18Pomegranates... Empty Re: Pomegranates... Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:17 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

niglefritz wrote:

I have lemon grass, dragon fruit, and a mango right now, and have done ginger and sweet potato, but I just can't get an avocado nor any citrus to sprout from seed...but I will keep trying.
sounds like a good book. I found some unusual seeds for sale on etsy, a giant sized strawberry but haven't tried to grow it yet. I managed to get three avocados to sprout, took lot of patience but got there just before I thought I'd throw them out. I found a site that said to use tooth picks, push them in to the sides of the seed so that it would sit suspended over a glass jar so the bottom half was in water and wait. You have to have it so the pointy end is facing upwards and the butt is in the water. The seeds sort of got pushed apart down their center by the root and leaf ends, root down and leaf up. It did take forever. Once I had something nearly like a shoot showing I put into soil so the top was above the soil. Worth a go?

19Pomegranates... Empty Re: Pomegranates... Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:13 am

niglefritz

I'll try that method out. Thanks.

20Pomegranates... Empty Re: Pomegranates... Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:06 pm

Most seeds have you tube videos that show how to propagate , but avocado is a tough one to start , the half submerged in water part is hard due to humidity being taken away rather quickly ? But I haven't given up on it yet ( don't eat the stuff  but want to grow a plant ? ) .Other seeds are easy ,just put a napkin into a plastic zip lock bag , moisten it and lay your seeds on top of the napkin , then place in a area that has warmth .....I used the top of the fridge , always warm and within a week most seeds are sprouting

21Pomegranates... Empty Re: Pomegranates... Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:49 pm

niglefritz

Just make sure (to those others who want to try it out) that you open the bag when the seeds sprout or you will have dead plants. We had taro root go moldy before it sprouted. I can't remember what else did that, but we will try again another day.

I want to see if I can find some sugar cane. Now wouldn't that be a treat!

22Pomegranates... Empty Re: Pomegranates... Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:56 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

niglefritz wrote:

I want to see if I can find some sugar cane. Now wouldn't that be a treat!
I had friends in NZ who grew lots of sugar cane, their kids were always running around with sticks of it in their hands, chewing and sucking like they had the best treat ever! That was in a sub tropical environment, not sure if it would grow in colder places but maybe indoors? These friends even planted it by their favorite camping beach in a secret spot so when they went camping it would be there waiting for them. Kind of cool thing to do.

Great suggestion Prairiedog about the ziplock and tissue. Will definitely try that. I'm about to get into growing wheat grass for us, the cats and the chooks this winter so we can get all those goodies. The youtube we watched suggested starting sprouts like regular alfalfa etc. - in a jar with fresh water rinse every day. I imagine wheat is easy enough to grow though. It is the odd things that have very small seeds that I'm going to try your ziplock trick out on. I like those little cape gooseberries (ground tomatoes? have a little wrapper like a lantern) but my efforts in the past failed so look forward to trying this with them. Ta. Smile 

23Pomegranates... Empty Re: Pomegranates... Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:50 am

niglefritz

Yes, it would be for indoors. There is NO WAY it would survive here. lol Supposedly you can do it. That's what the book says anyway. It claims that you can possibly get some from a Latin American, Asian or specialty grocer, and that the sugar cane grows easily.

Those berries are most likely sand cherries? I never liked them, but I know others of my family did.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum