Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Moose Jaw Sale

+2
Hidden River
Sweetened
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Moose Jaw Sale Empty Moose Jaw Sale Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:35 am

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Auctions are dangerous places. The weeks leading up to the auction were firmly stressed discussions about picking up laying hens and that’s it! A couple days before the auction, laying hens and maybe some guineas if they’re super cheap. As we climbed into the truck and headed towards Moose Jaw, we adjusted ourselves back to just laying hens. By the time we walked through the doors it was: “we’ll see how prices are and what our stuff sells for.”

The sale prices were ridiculously low for some things and stupid high for others. A trio of buff laced polish, apparently imported from Ontario lines and CLEARLY quality birds, went for $200 when other polish pairs and trios went for $30 or less. $200 I thought… man am I doing this wrong!

Early on I bought a box of 4 2013 hatch unsexed guinea chicks for $30 – to put this in perspective I paid $120 in spring for a box of 4 Royal Purples (worth it, imho). After leaving for a stretch and a walk, I come back to Moose pointing at my tracking page: “I wrote down the ducks I bought.” I looked at him, “You bought ducks?” “Yeah,” he says, “2 for $12.50!” “GOOD DEAL!” says I. I lean over and tell Lou we bought ducks, “You bought ducks!?” she says, “We bought ducks.” Over time, we bought 13 ducks, 13 for under $40, what a deal.

We know nothing about ducks. Our first foray into ducks didn’t go very well. They were call ducks; a guinea spooked the female and she flew off never to return. Later, we came home to find the turkey’s had ripped the drake to shreds and I had to put him down. Since we don’t have turkeys and the birds are locked up for winter, I’m not too worried.

I suppose I shouldn’t say nothing. I get the gist of things, but they’re different than chickens. They drink –so- much. I worry with the frozen waterers that they’ll get enough to drink. I hope they figure out our grit pans so they can digest the wheat, and with my deal with an organic grocery store for cast offs, I should be good on the water fruits and veggies. I spent an hour last night mixing a freezer bag full of treats I can smash and put into water. Some yellow squash, zuchinni, grapes, kale, cucumber, pomegranate seeds, corn, peas and so on went into that bag, looking like a delicious salsa or eccentric salad. WE don’t even eat that good!

So I says to Moose: “If’n we’re going to have ducks, I need a part time job!” The rouen and her 6 ducklings go nuts for the water dish and drink it all down, stomping and splashing in it, flicking their heads. A MESS I tells you, a mess. I’m so worried they aren’t getting enough water, they guzzle it like they have never had any, or is this just how they are when new water comes in?

Such fun, I like them already, but they need their own building with their own way to be and constant outdoor access. They’re lovely and I love their sound.

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.com/

2Moose Jaw Sale Empty Re: Moose Jaw Sale Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:50 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Once you figure out the best way to keep ducks you will absolutely love them Sweetened. Make sure their water is OUTSIDE, if you have it inside you are going to have a big glacier around your water bowl in no time, and then the thaw/freeze does terrible things to your inside floor.
The best thing I found for my waterfowl is a rubber tub (I think it is 15 gallons), I cut a mesh cattle panel to fit inside the top edge, that way they can drink and dunk their heads but not swim. It keeps the water cleaner longer and also prevents frozen feet come really cold weather. I keep it outside and put a birdbath deicer in it (Picked it up at Peavey Mart, 250 watts works well). I like the rubber because if it does freeze it is easy enough to turn over and break the ice out of it.
I bed the outside run with straw, and keep a nice deep straw bed inside the house. Ducks do not scratch like chickens so it is best if you stir their straw every couple days or it quickly turns into a poop mat and you have to keep adding more straw.

I love my waterfowl, they are so hardy and seem to love the rain, snow and cold. Not so much the chickens...

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Moose Jaw Sale Empty Re: Moose Jaw Sale Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:27 pm

loushrop

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I had a lot of fun with you guys! I wish I didn't have to leave but doing chores in the dark is not fun... I will save you a seat in the spring. Lou

4Moose Jaw Sale Empty Re: Moose Jaw Sale Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:50 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Was nice to see you Even if it was from Afar LOL but enjoyed the texting so you bought the Big Cage with the Momma and The Baby Ducks I was wondering who did.
I enjoy my Rouen ducks and what I do is give them their water in a Tip pail that way they can get their heads in but not thye rest of them I am a Home Body so I check their water 3 x's a day
They can make messes but when spring and summer come they are so fun to watch Mine like the Spring/Fall so they can chase Frogs and They love catching Mice

5Moose Jaw Sale Empty Re: Moose Jaw Sale Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:12 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Congratulations on your new ducks!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

6Moose Jaw Sale Empty Re: Moose Jaw Sale Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:24 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member