Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Crikee..... Height of roosts? ramps to roosts?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Crikee!
me again...please don't tire of my constant questions..i think i am a little like Cynthia...in that i have to know things.
Coops suggested i ask this....
We are finished the inside of the coop, just now looking at the insides-guts if you will..so these are the things i need to know:  Everyones thoughts...
1.) height of the roosts
2.)Distance between the roosts
3.) Ramps or no ramps?

my breeds are various
Buff orpingtons, rhode island reds, Barnevelders, Welsummers, barred rocks, ameraucanas''and more..but this will give an idea of extremes of body types
I should mention i want to have the roosts all on one level-no gradation

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My bottom roost is about 20" off the floor. They are spaced about 16" apart. There is no ramps,the chickens jump up onto the 2x4 roosts. I have some larger birds, it seems to work for them.

bcboy wrote:how long is the roost going to be?
Have you thought about a poop hammock?
I have a poop hammock that take 60 seconds a day to clean and no ammonia smell in the coop. cheers

Crikee.....  Height of roosts? ramps to roosts? Roosting
Crikee.....  Height of roosts? ramps to roosts? Roost

Here is a video of my setup...

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Roost height, wherever you want, but higher than the nest boxes so they don't sleep in the nests.

Distance apart, 12".

I have a ramp, but mine don't really use it much.

I have a poop tray under my roosts, so to prevent them from dust bathing in it, my lowest roost is 6" above the poop tray and the taller one I think is 10".

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

authenticfarm wrote:Roost height,  wherever you want, but higher than the nest boxes so they don't sleep in the nests.
Good point Authentic. I like my roosts to be less than 3 feet high. I prefer closer to 2 1/2 feet. I have big breeds. I have both roosts the same height. I find it they are different heights they all fight to be on the top ones or the birds low in the pecking order get stuck on the bottom one.

I think 12" works find for spacing. No ramp, if the roosts are not to high there is not need I think. Unless you have birds that have difficulty flying like silkies.

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yeah, my roosts would be about 34" above bedding height, 38" for the taller one. I put the poop tray at a height that would allow me to easily reach to the back of it for cleaning. Too tall and I wouldn't be able to reach, too short and it would be too much bending.

I am pretty sure I was out there with a tape measure, bending over and then measuring the distance from my body to the wall. And this is why my chickens think I am nuts. Lol

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

k..thanks.
We are also going to have poop boards so the acreage below the roosts is available as floor space....god i can hardly wait.
poop boards will be trays that i can slide out on rollers, and scrape off....or dump.not sure which.
Each section is 5 feet long and there are two sections... and i am thinking each poop tray will be 2.5 feet wide for easier maneuvering... I knew about the nest boxes being lower than the roosts....and ack! affraid  ...roosts are going in this week! bounce  ...then nesting boxes....then.... Chick Help 

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

authenticfarm wrote:Roost height,  wherever you want, but higher than the nest boxes so they don't sleep in the nests.

Distance apart, 12".

I have a ramp, but mine don't really use it much.

I have a poop tray under my roosts, so to prevent them from dust bathing in it, my lowest roost is 6" above the poop tray and the taller one I think is 10".
Authentic farm; what stuff do you use in your poop trays?..or are they just bare boards?
i was planning on using chips/sawdust....someone else said they used stall dry...which may be a good idea also

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]