Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

advice on mandarin ducks

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1advice on mandarin ducks Empty advice on mandarin ducks Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:29 pm

funnyfarm

New Here

just got a pair of mandarin ducks and I live in Manitoba , I was told they need heat for winter, just wondering what the ideal temp is for winter for them. Also would like to know what is best to feed them and any other info about them I could get. Thanks

2advice on mandarin ducks Empty Re: advice on mandarin ducks Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:27 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Did you get these at the Indian Head sale? I wanted them so bad but resisted. I believe they need to be netted in or wings clipped or they will fly away.
Hopefully Lou will see this, I know she had some at one time and maybe she can answer your questions.

3advice on mandarin ducks Empty Re: advice on mandarin ducks Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:09 am

boothcreek

Usually they don't need heat in the winter when they have a perch or two they can sit on out of the wind and also open water 24/7 is a must.
I used a metal horse water trough(about 1.5 ft deep and 3 ft diameter) with a floating de-icer in it for the winter since I didn't trust the de-icer and the plastic kiddie-pool(their summer water source).

If they are full-winged, I would clip them so they get use to you without hurting themselves(them buggers fly with great speed, I didn't clip my first pair and the male scalped himself first time I had to be in the aviary to feed and change water.....). Clip them so they stay grounded(for the most part). By the time the feathers molt back in they know you and the routine and are much calmer.

As for feeding, I fed mine Turkey(Gamebird) grower(mixed with layer in spring and summer) and some rolled corn in the fall/winter as well(altho that made the white mandies awefully yellow sometimes). They are gamebirds and should have higher protein feed.
Mine liked Mealworms, feeder Goldfish(great fun to watch, release a whole bunch in their water and watch the show, water EVERYWHERE! lol) and dry cat-food(lived with my peafowl and that's their favorite treat) as treats.

I hope this helps.

http://www.boothcreekranch.com

4advice on mandarin ducks Empty Re: advice on mandarin ducks Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:16 pm

shelan

They need to be able to get out of the cold . Mine have access in and out doors all season. When the temps drop real cold I close them in . A covered pen is a must , they will fly away if they are full winged . You can clip there wing feathers , for the season , If you have a open topped pen., But I find they do the best when they are able to fly . I feed wheat, waterfowl pellets, fish pellets, mixed grains, corn , greens, and what ever they have access to when they are out on the pond.
They produce best in the second year . The hen nest in a raised nest box. The hens do a great job of raising there broods. You can also incubate the eggs, and raise them yourself , if you wish to do that. Enjoy ...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum