Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Not just newbies...

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Not just newbies... Empty Not just newbies... Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:49 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Recent threads had me thinking that not only newbies get done by people doing the wrong thing.

I will share one of my experiences with you that I had just a couple of years ago.
New back in Canada I was still thinking about which breeds I was going to concentrate on. I like to have 1 or 2 that I really focus on. I had decided not to get back into the Barnevelders and try something new. I had chosen the Partridge Chanteclers but was looking for another.

There was a post on a forum, can't remember which one it was, about someone hatching egg and selling the chicks. They had posted who they had gotten the eggs from and what they had available. They had some from a breeder I was interested in obtaining stock from and I did not have my sportsman yet, so I contacted them about these eggs and purchasing the chicks hatched from them.

Remember, I am not a newbie. Been in the industry for close to 20 years now. I know what questions to ask, I am pretty good with chick down and what to expect them to look like. Especially with breeds I have chosen to work with. I was also familiar with the breeder this person had bought the eggs from.

Anyways, I asked all the right questions. Even said I knew the breeder and only wanted the chicks from his eggs. They were hatching from other sources as well and I was very firm I only wanted what I wanted and not any of the others. I was told hatching date and assured there was no way to have a mix up.

So I get the call, arrangements are made and I drive all the way to Merritt to meet up with the husband who has to drive thru and will deliver. As soon as I looked at the chicks I knew a large portion of them where not what I had paid for. Hubby of course knew nothing, or said he didn't. Some of the chicks even had full wing feathers and they were being sold as day old. I tried to phone her from there, no answer, go figure. Of course I was getting the story from hubby that I had to take them as he had no way of keeping them once he got to the coast. I was really p*ssed off. I even ended up buying 3 other chicks, 2 Marans and a Barnevelder because the person didn't show at the last stop. They were expensive chicks and he didn't even give me a deal even though I was taking them off his hands and they didn't die. The Barnevelder died the next day and the Marans ended up having very twisted feet, but I digress..

I finally got a hold of her and she swore up and down that they were what they were supposed to be, but they were definitely not. I even told her why and how I know. She wavered a bit and said well maybe there could have been a mistake, by that time I was just over it and decided to end it.

I am not sure if she was just a beginner that thought it was going to be easy or if she just really didn't know any better but I can tell you it was not right. If I was a really newbie it probably really would have turned me off. So it is just not the SOP breeders giving newbies a rough time.

I suppose the moral of the story is even jaded, suspicious, nontrusting, grumpy people like me, that should know better can be taken in this industry.

2Not just newbies... Empty Re: Not just newbies... Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:58 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

and of course they set up the drop so as to make it virtually impossible to not take them. Rough situation that could have gotten anyone.

Hard buying anything sight unseen. So much depends on ethics. I know a guy who ordered several cockerels from a show winning breeder in Ontario. He killed them as soon as they arrived because they were all junk. No way that show winning breeder didn't know what he was sending.

3Not just newbies... Empty Re: Not just newbies... Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:08 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I totally agree even non newbies can be had!! Just happened to me, with a breeder from the us (not in the berrytangle order!). She promised things to me, and $1500 later I have nothing to show!! I was pretty upset. I had checked into her and had heard nothing but good:(. Just glad there are good people out there also!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

4Not just newbies... Empty Re: Not just newbies... Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:17 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Just seems like the best you can do is hope the person you are dealing with is going to be honest and that they will fix the situation if something goes wrong.

5Not just newbies... Empty Re: Not just newbies... Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:43 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Coopslave, again, good post, I know who you are talking about, smiling, because I can put two and two together. Glad this came out. I am thinking this was probably in the early days for that person, but who knows. That is crap!! There are people out there that intentionally screw you over, like someone in my area, or close vicinity. I have never been taken yet, well, actually I have, recently, by same one in my area, but not in too terrible of a way. But small issue, but there, regardless, I may be jaded too. so, yes, please, for surely, know full well what you are getting into, sigh. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]