Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Egg Color Question

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Egg Color Question  Empty Egg Color Question Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:27 pm

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have an Americauna Roo and in a couple weeks I'm getting 2 White Chantie Hens. Now it is possible that any hen that would be hatched from this mix would lay light green eggs, right? And then, could he then breed the hens resulting (his daughters) and would that result in a possible shell color difference (if the resulting hens laid the green eggs)? Just curiousity.

2Egg Color Question  Empty Re: Egg Color Question Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:29 pm

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Clearly I am loving the word resulting tonight.Smile 

3Egg Color Question  Empty Re: Egg Color Question Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:54 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

4Egg Color Question  Empty Re: Egg Color Question Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:21 am

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The female offspring of your Amer roo (as long as he's pure) and chantie hen will all lay greeny-blue eggs. (I'm assuming chanties lay pale brown eggs? Is this correct?) The offspring hatched from one of the eggs, mated back to dad, will also lay greeny-blue eggs. Hard to predict the exact shade - depends which modifiers you've got, and the shade of the chantie's eggs.

That diagram isn't quite accurate. The F2 on the left has only a 50% chance of laying olive eggs, and 50% chance of laying brown ones.

5Egg Color Question  Empty Re: Egg Color Question Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:27 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Authentic a Dark Brown layer bred to an Olive egger, the offspring produced also has the potential to lay a dark brown egg, not only an olive coloured one.  Remember the Olive egger only carries one blue egg gene.

Sorry, this is in regards to the graph, not the question here.....

Last edited by coopslave on Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total

6Egg Color Question  Empty Re: Egg Color Question Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:33 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

IPF you and I seem to always post at the same time! Laughing

I have done a similar cross to what you are thinking about Pollywog. I bred a Wheaten Am cockerel to some Mottled Java hens. I have 4 of the 5 pullets laying at the moment and all lay a greeny coloured egg.

7Egg Color Question  Empty Re: Egg Color Question Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:00 pm

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Thanks everyone! I was thinking of maybe hatching out some eggs next year from my birds. Now it appears that I must!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum