Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

the allure of pullet eggs

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1the allure of pullet eggs Empty the allure of pullet eggs Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:42 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

So what is with that? I find something so attractive and exciting about a pullets first few eggs. I always want to have a little celebration for them. Laughing 

I have a project pullet that laid her first egg yesterday. Hard to tell in the photo, but it is actually a beautiful colour of green. Very happy with the colour and it is right on target for what I want. Good size too for a first egg, and in the nesting box, yay!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have a secret suspicion that one of the Coopers pullets has been laying as well. I thought it was one of the old girls and thought she was a trooper as they have been in a pretty heavy moult. Now I am wondering if it is one of the blue pullets as they are not a huge egg, but a pretty good colour.

Here is a PChant egg with the green pullet egg and the suspect Coopers egg. I will have to start watching closer who is visiting the nesting boxes.

So here is my little celebration for all the pullets that are starting to lay for me. Banana 

2the allure of pullet eggs Empty Re: the allure of pullet eggs Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:16 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

So pretty! And exciting. I do like the look of those dark eggs!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

3the allure of pullet eggs Empty Re: the allure of pullet eggs Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:58 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks Miry. Just to confirm, the dark egg is from one of the year old Coopers hens. Caught her in the nest this morning. She has no feathers, but is still laying each day. You go girl!! Smile
She did take a little break but I was surprised she came back into the lay so soon.

Would love to see pictures of other pullet eggs if any wants too. Lets celebrate them!

4the allure of pullet eggs Empty Re: the allure of pullet eggs Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:49 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I dont have any yet:( 
But soon perhaps. Just moved 16 dom pullets over to the henhouse last night they were hatched in midmay but they mature very fast so im guessing mid sept for lots of sweet little eggs!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

5the allure of pullet eggs Empty Re: the allure of pullet eggs Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:33 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I love the pullet eggs. I have 4 buff orpingtons that have been laying them for about 3 weeks. The Coopers should be starting soon. The excess males, in a different area totally, have been crowing for about 3 weeks. Eggs should soon come me thinks. I cooked up two dozen pullet eggs last night, I was going to make some pickled eggs. Perfect size for popping one in the mouth. I had them peeled and in the fridge, covered, in a container. The kids all came for dinner last night and my Husband let that cat out of the bag. He said I had a fridge full of hard boiled eggs. Of course, question from on Son-in-Law was, whatcha gonna do with them all. I said make pickled eggs. He said, nope, you gonna make us devilled eggs. are you kidding me? The other Son-in-Law chimed in, he agreed. I had to make tons of devilled eggs. Sigh...guess I will have to gather the pullet eggs and make some pickled eggs and not tell anyone that I have them in my fridge. I am actually thinkin' this is pretty funny. They do enjoy the devilled eggs I make I guess. Have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

6the allure of pullet eggs Empty Re: the allure of pullet eggs Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:30 am

Those are lovely!

After the trauma of watching their friends ripped to shreds, my older pullets have finally started laying. It's so fun to notice an egg that's shaped differently, a different colour or size and go "ITS NEW! OMG"

Beautiful eggs from those project birds.

7the allure of pullet eggs Empty Re: the allure of pullet eggs Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:42 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

These look more like pullet sized eggs. The dark one is a Coopers for sure as I watched her lay it. Pretty happy with the colour for a first egg, will be interesting to see if the speckles fill in a bit and they get darker.

So cute, the little dark egg and the little green egg. More celebration! Wink

8the allure of pullet eggs Empty Re: the allure of pullet eggs Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:34 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

The first green pullet egg I posted a picture of turned out to be a double yolker! Poor pullet, nothing like a big one for your first.

9the allure of pullet eggs Empty Re: the allure of pullet eggs Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:12 am

Beep

Beep

I love you I LOVE pullet eggs and am with you on the celebration! So exciting to find the first egg in the nest (or just dropped on the ground Rolling Eyes ). My daughter's buffs are starting to lay -- the ones hatched from your eggs CynthiaM! And she is over the moon Very Happy  I am patiently bounce  waiting for my marans to lay. I have never had marans before and one little girl came out of a very dark egg so I'm hoping she is going to lay the same! Pullet eggs make the end of summer all the more bearable!

10the allure of pullet eggs Empty Re: the allure of pullet eggs Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:33 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Beep, I think the Marans and my PChants take a little longer to come into lay. My green egg layers are younger than my PChants and Coopers and they are all starting to look like they are all getting ready to start.
Another little green egg yesterday. Two in one day so I know at least 2 of them have started now!!

11the allure of pullet eggs Empty Re: the allure of pullet eggs Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:14 am

Beep

Beep

My marans are 21 weeks old and according to Briarwood, where I got the eggs, hers start laying anytime after 19 weeks. It seems my girls like to wait to the 6 month mark no matter what the breed! I am taking note of the condition of their combs and vents and it'll be soon!Laughing 

12the allure of pullet eggs Empty Re: the allure of pullet eggs Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:07 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Beep wrote: My daughter's buffs are starting to lay -- the ones hatched from your eggs CynthiaM!  And she is over the moon Very Happy 
Hmm....who are you? Take to a personal pm if you please, no need to say who you are on open forum if you do not want to. I am curious about this Very Happy  . Maybe you have mentioned it before, who you are, but I missed that. Pleased to hear that you have laying pullets now, how many? Hoping that you got some nice looking girls going on....have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum