Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Coccidosis

+3
rosewood
Schipperkesue
olesoftie
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Coccidosis Empty Coccidosis Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:12 am

olesoftie

I just acquired 4 young silkies and noticed blood in their cage-thinking coccidosis-one has blood coming out of her butt. How do I treat this??-will it spread from cage to cage?

2Coccidosis Empty Re: Coccidosis Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:24 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Are they laying or about to lay? When I have had cocci there is a tiny amount of blood in the stool and none coming out of the bird. If they are starting to lay sometimes there is a little blood.

3Coccidosis Empty Cocciciosis Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:36 am

olesoftie

No not laying are just young this spring

4Coccidosis Empty Re: Coccidosis Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:14 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Amprol is the expensive and fast way to treat cocci.  Sulla drugs are cheaper but slower.  There is probable more info on the Internet than I have in my brain right now!

5Coccidosis Empty Re: Coccidosis Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:50 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Last time I had a bit of cocci in the flock I fed treated feed for a period of time determined by the amount of feed in one bag.

6Coccidosis Empty Re: Coccidosis Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:40 pm

Cocci is a gut flora that is naturally carried in the birds. The problem arises when their systems are bombarded with new pathogens and Cocci has a chance to overpopulate the gut.

I treat it for under $15 in purchases for about 80 young birds, and have effectively done so for 2 years. Plain yogurt, no additives, just yogurt that lists active bacteria cultures, oregano oil, apple cider vinegar and Aloe Vera Juice. To a large yogurt container I add 1 full dropper of Oregano oil, mix well and add feed. To the water I ad AVJ, 1 tbsp per gallon, I do this for a full week. Week 2 I continue with yogurt with only half a dropper of oregano oil and change the AVJ for ACV. I change back for one week to AVJ after that feeding yogurt without any oregano oil.

Yogurt: Aids in the restoration of gut flora levels
Oregano Oil: all nature antibiotic to help battle off anything that's overwhelming them
Aloe Vera Juice: cleans the digestive tract without damaging positive flora and bacteria levels
ACV: Good nutrient level and body cleanser

It's worked for me. Others here may advise you against it. All the best.

7Coccidosis Empty Re: Coccidosis Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:34 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

This is a new recipe for me thanks for the info, I will put it away in my book of tricks and hope I never have to use it.

8Coccidosis Empty Re: Coccidosis Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:06 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Are you sure it's cocci and not blood from them picking each other? IF they have a bad case of cocci there will likely be other signs of sickness, not eating or drinking, hunched, ruffled, still, miserable looking.

I have treated cocci with homeopathy.

9Coccidosis Empty Coccidiosis Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:23 pm

olesoftie

Not from pecking. She hadit coming from her butt and was some in cage. I have her separated and on Anprol-hopefully she will be ok she is eating a little and went to drink right away.
What homeopath treatment do you use? The person that uses the yogurt can you buy all the ingredients you use from just a health food store?

10Coccidosis Empty Re: Coccidosis Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:30 pm

olesoftie wrote:The person that uses the yogurt can you buy all the ingredients you use from just a health food store?

I use ASTRO Balkan plain yogurt, its a white and red container, like this one:
Coccidosis Astro%20Original%20Plain%20Balkan%20Style

Aloe Vera Juice, Oregano Oil and ACV (Braggs) I get from any health food store.

I would tend to agree that it seems odd the blood was obviously coming from her rear. I have not yet encountered that with Cocci.

11Coccidosis Empty Coccidiosis Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:01 pm

olesoftie

When I looked up the symptoms blood in the poo was a sign. I will write down the ingredients you wrote as I don't like using drugs and would prefer natural product. thank you

12Coccidosis Empty Re: Coccidosis Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:55 am

Yes, blood in their feces is one of the most common symptoms, but it's also a scant amount, typically. I have yet to find birds with blood on their rear ends, even when they have died of Cocci. That's why we're expressing concern is all. The birds should also be rapidly losing weight, lethargic and tired looking, and this can literally happen within hours. You can go from a relatively normal looking bird to dead in hours.

13Coccidosis Empty Coccidiosis Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:53 am

olesoftie

HMM. She is eating and drinking -still has blood in her poo. Do you know anything else it could be then? I can't see anything else wrong with her???

14Coccidosis Empty Re: Coccidosis Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:26 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Are you sure it's blood?

Chicken Keepers Guide to Poo

15Coccidosis Empty Coccidiosis Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:11 am

olesoftie

I did check that page and yes am sure it is blood.

16Coccidosis Empty Re: Coccidosis Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:22 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I had 1 or 2 chicks in my last batch of chicks for this year that had some bloody, runny stool. Otherwise they still looked quite healthy, but I know that if you don't treat it quickly they can go downhill fast. I separated them and treated with amprol. They were back to normal within 2 days.
I don't usually see cocci show up here as I am a believer in using medicated chick starter, but I had been using up a bag of unmedicated starter from last year that had been mis-labeled.
I'm not suggesting that natural methods won't work too, just adding in here how I choose to treat it. Smile 

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

17Coccidosis Empty Coccidiosi Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:58 pm

olesoftie

She was one of four in a large cage and she is the only one that has shown the blood in stool- I pulled her right away and disinfected cage but had to wait till next day to get the amprol. But she seems to be doing fine. The others so far aren't showing any signs. If she survives can she be put back in with them again or also I have been told not to put her on dirt outside as it stays in the ground. This morning there was a lot of blood in cage still. But she is eating and drinking good

18Coccidosis Empty Re: Coccidosis Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:00 pm

Cocci is unavoidable. Ever. If your birds are alive, they carry Cocci within them. It is a complete natural and an organism that, when in check, is entirely harmless. Keeping them off dirt is somewhat ridiculous, imho.

Keeping her away from other birds helps her, not the other birds if it's cocci, but that's my opinion. I'm still worried, based on the amount of blood you're seeing, that it's something else or that there's something else going on in there. Can you take a picture of what you're referring to and post it here?

19Coccidosis Empty Coccidiosis Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:17 pm

olesoftie

I can try to post a pic I just cleaned her cage so will try later. Not sure how to do it on here though. There is nothing obvious on her. Just on the cage floor .

20Coccidosis Empty Re: Coccidosis Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:20 pm

None the less. What seems like a lot of blood to someone who hasn't been through it may be different from someone who has been, but it's best to be safe.

You'll need to load the picture to photobucket or another file share program and then ad the "image link" or Direct link to a post. If you have trouble, email it to me and I'll get it posted for you.

mrichardson.contact@gmail.com

21Coccidosis Empty Coccidiosis Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:42 pm

olesoftie

ok thank you will try later

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum