Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Headhunters unite!

+2
Schipperkesue
Blue Hill Farm
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Headhunters unite! Empty Headhunters unite! Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:43 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

2Headhunters unite! Empty Re: Headhunters unite! Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:25 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Flicker Chick wrote:I found this quite interesting to read through...Wink 

http://archive.org/stream/BreedingAndCullingByHeadPoints/BreedingCullingByHeadPoints#page/n1/mode/2up

I shall have to read this through when I have some time.  Both the Cochin and Cornish are nothing without great heads.

3Headhunters unite! Empty Re: Headhunters unite! Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:28 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ooh, I should also add, I was speaking with a longtime breeder of Brahmas, another breed requiring a deep head.  He maintains that the more you cultivate a deeper and deeper head you tend to lose fertility.  

At one time he had some of the best Brahma heads around.  He was getting 6 fertile eggs a year from them.  

It will be interesting to read if this is mentioned in the article.

4Headhunters unite! Empty Re: Headhunters unite! Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:35 am

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My guess is that the head had nothing to do with the loss of fertility, but rather excessive inbreeding as a result of stringent selection.

5Headhunters unite! Empty Re: Headhunters unite! Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:48 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is certainly more likely.

6Headhunters unite! Empty Re: Headhunters unite! Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:17 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

7Headhunters unite! Empty Re: Headhunters unite! Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:34 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Flicker, good find. I look forward to having a good look. It will be interesting.
I like lunker heads too....... Laughing

8Headhunters unite! Empty Re: Headhunters unite! Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:45 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hey that looks good! Next rain shower that comes through and forces me to put a halt to my yard work...I'm all over it! study

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

9Headhunters unite! Empty Re: Headhunters unite! Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:40 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Re SAME genetics -
It's not that simple.

If a bird is homozygous for a given allele, say "c" (recessive white, in Tara's example), it implies simply that, i.e. that she's got two copies of "c". It says nothing about homozygosity or heterozygosity at all those other loci. At some (quite possibly far remote) level, that means she's somewhat (possibly only a tiny bit) inbred, since that allele originated at some time in a long-ago bird by mutation from the wild-type C. Barring multiple mutation events with the same genetic implications/outcome (possible but not the norm, and they don't really change the logic here) she must have inherited both copies from that ancestral bird. However, many generations of random mating and recombination (or selection and breeding, also accompanied by recombination) could  lead to her achieving two copies of that allele, either by chance or design, with no matings between near relatives in her recent history. The important thing is that her alleles at other loci could have been inherited from any of her gazillions of ancestors, not necessarily the one with the "c" mutation.

Non-wild-type alleles that are identical at a given locus (homozygous)  are called IBD (identical by descent).

If a bird is inbred, it increases the likelihood for each locus of being IBD, not just the  genes/loci of interest. And therein lies the trick of breeding - to use breeding as a tool to get the loci you care about, i.e. those that define the breed, to be IBD, while maintaining many others (especially those that are fitness-related) in a state of (generally) wild-type homozygosity.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum