Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Flower garden

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Flower garden Empty Flower garden Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:20 pm

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

My husbeast and myself built a 16x16 square garden with a smaller square on top (like a diamond if that makes sense) to hide the lovely crap hole lid. Tonight we got all the dirt in and raked around then I planted so many flowers in the spaces. It looks so good! I'll have to add pictures tomorrow as my camera decided that holding a charge is for squares.

The flowers that went in were petunias (I might be wrong with that one), snap dragons, marigolds, hens n chicks (cool succulent), columbine, peony, low growing wild flower mix, 2 hedgerose and a lilac. We plan on adding a big bird house in the pole that has the junction box for the poop pump. We're hoping to attract butterflies and bees.

Slowly the yard is really shaping up!

Oh! Also in the flowers that I got for putting in the garden was bonus basil! So awesome!

2Flower garden Empty Re: Flower garden Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:01 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, you can't just lay that on us without PICTURES!

Harrumph!

3Flower garden Empty Re: Flower garden Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:29 am

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Well, you can't just lay that on us without PICTURES!

Harrumph!

MWAHAHA! Pictures tomorrow for sure!

4Flower garden Empty Re: Flower garden Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:05 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yes please, I am just planting some things too. They may not mature, but will only rot if I don't plant them. Might as well try.

5Flower garden Empty Re: Flower garden Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:06 am

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Here are a couple pictures of the garden

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The garden is just built using 2x4's for now but next summer we are going to attach landscaping ties to it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ignore the shed that needs painting. That will be a next week project.
This is a birdhouse tree that my husbeast made for me in Calgary. We fixed up the houses and last year we water sealed them. We left the houses outside to weather for a couple years so they look really neat now! LOVE this so much!

In the garden is also a wire cat (body outline with a solid metal face) that my mother in law got me for my birthday one year and a horse shoe butterfly that the hubs got me for mothers day. Slowly the yard is shaping up!

6Flower garden Empty Re: Flower garden Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:57 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Pollywog....Love your bird houses.   Your garden is looking good.  

Mine only has a couple of things that just got planted the other day.  Better luck next year I guess?  I hope.

How high do you have that big water tank?   Also how big are the timbers holding it up?  That is an awesome idea.  

Are those tanks very expensive?  I really want one in my garden.  Not only free water, but so handy.  Great idea.  

Congrats. cheers

7Flower garden Empty Re: Flower garden Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:11 pm

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

lady leghorn wrote:Pollywog....Love your bird houses.   Your garden is looking good.  

Mine only has a couple of things that just got planted the other day.  Better luck next year I guess?  I hope.

How high do you have that big water tank?   Also how big are the timbers holding it up?  That is an awesome idea.  

Are those tanks very expensive?  I really want one in my garden.  Not only free water, but so handy.  Great idea.  

Congrats. cheers

Thanks! I really like how it turned out. We have so white stain that we got for staining some adarondian (totally spelt wrong) deck chairs and if there is any of that left over we'll use it up on the limbers in the garden.

Not sure how much the tank was. My husband bought it through his last job a couple years ago. We are going to put eaves on the shed and collect the rain water in it. The stand is 3 feet tall I think and he used 4x4's and fencing posts. We have a second square tank that will go behind our house for rain water too.

8Flower garden Empty Re: Flower garden Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:41 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Pollywog......What were those tanks originally made for? I see them at the Equipment auctions in olds sometimes, but not

sure about what was inside? Never did watch to see them sell, because I never thought about them for water off the eaves

before. I read about them somewhere else, but seeing the way you have your's set up, really makes me want one or two now.

One for the front yard, one for the back, pretty much like you. It would work really well for our garden in the front yard.

All off the eaves of the house. So glad I saw your post. It's a great idea.

Maybe you could ask your husband what was originally in them? If you don't mind? Thanks in advance. Very Happy 

9Flower garden Empty Re: Flower garden Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:44 pm

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

He worked on a crusher so it could have been used for any number of things. We also have a really big one that we used as a cistern when our house was used as a cabin. I think UFA sells these tanks too. As long as you rinse them out really good then they are fine.

10Flower garden Empty Re: Flower garden Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:57 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well I'll have to call UFA and find out the price. Probably will knock my socks off. Lol I'm going to watch the nest auction

too, and ask what was in them. They "might" be cheaper? Mind you any auctions, people tend to get carried away. Smile

Showed the picture of yours all set up and he thought it was a great idea. cheers  Always good to get hubby on your side.

Thanks so much for the info and the pictures of your garden. Oh, one more question, what is that box type thing in the middle

of your garden? Is that set up to water the garden?

11Flower garden Empty Re: Flower garden Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:09 pm

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

That is the little breaker panel thing for the pump and high level alarm of the poop tank. It is very ugly.

12Flower garden Empty Re: Flower garden Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:20 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Beautiful!  I love raised and terraced flower beds!

13Flower garden Empty Re: Flower garden Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:35 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very nice! Is that the craphole lid in the middle? My in-laws did something similar to their well lid. Put in a big flowerbed and then put some sort of statue on the lid. When everything is up you'd never know it was there.

When we moved to our place the previous owners had one of those old huge satellite dishes. You remember the ones that look like you're trying to find radio signals from space? Guy asked us 3 times if we wanted to buy it (uh... no). Still, when it was gone, there was a 4 foot metal post anchored Gordon knows how deep in the ground. I planted 5 potentillas around it and set a bird bath on top. Looks very nice (we like it anyway).

14Flower garden Empty Re: Flower garden Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:28 pm

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Yes that is the cover. We are going to put a birdbath on it. at the back end of the top bed I planted a lilac bush and 2 hedge rose. The should fill out nicely. We are going to put in a little walkway cutting through the whole thing for decoration and for pumper access. We haven't decided on what type of stepping stone to use yet.

Thanks everyone for the compliments!

15Flower garden Empty Re: Flower garden Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:24 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Pollywog.......I am really excited, we went to a farm auction yesterday, and be darned if they didn't have a tank like your's by

the garden. The auction was going on for so long that people were leaving, and prices were getting cheaper and cheaper.

The tank, and a hose that connects to it, went for $25.00 I got it, cheers  I am some excited!!!!

Plus got a lovely Black plastic fish pond for the garden. Hopefully that can go in next year. That went cheap too.

There was so many good deals, we could have come home loaded!!!!

But I got so sunburned, I look like a raccoon right now. affraid 

16Flower garden Empty Re: Flower garden Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:22 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

lady leghorn wrote:Pollywog.......I am really excited, we went to a farm auction yesterday, and be darned if they didn't have a tank like your's by

the garden.   The auction was going on for so long that people were leaving, and prices were getting cheaper and cheaper.

The tank, and a hose that connects to it, went for $25.00  I got it,    cheers    I am some excited!!!!

Plus got a lovely Black plastic fish pond for the garden.   Hopefully that can go in next year.  That went cheap too.  

But I got so sunburned, I look like a raccoon right now.  affraid 

That's so awesome!! Don't you just love great deals. I've seen those tanks out here on kijiji for about $$100-125. I thought that wasn't a bad price

17Flower garden Empty Re: Flower garden Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:29 am

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

lady leghorn wrote:Pollywog.......I am really excited, we went to a farm auction yesterday, and be darned if they didn't have a tank like your's by

the garden.   The auction was going on for so long that people were leaving, and prices were getting cheaper and cheaper.

The tank, and a hose that connects to it, went for $25.00  I got it,    cheers    I am some excited!!!!

Plus got a lovely Black plastic fish pond for the garden.   Hopefully that can go in next year.  That went cheap too.  

But I got so sunburned, I look like a raccoon right now.  affraid 

That is fantastic! My hubby is going to build a shorter stand for rain harvesting on the shed and use the taller one on the house. This weekend we tinned the roof of the shed (I say we but my husband did it with his uncle) so it is a nice brown roof. I have to paint the sides yellow and then it'll look great! Hubby's aunt also stained our new chairs white and I did so much weeding in my tree nursery. BUSY weekend! But it was all high yield work.Very Happy 

18Flower garden Empty Re: Flower garden Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:50 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I love good deals too, didn't think one would come along that fast though.   I'm am addicted farm sale goer now.  cheers 

Except my sunburn was a bit worse than I though.  Even my lips are swollen, my face is all red and swollen.  One side is going

down, but I really do look pretty weird!   affraid

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum