Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

exploding egg

+3
Hidden River
DLC
nuthatch333
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1exploding egg Empty exploding egg Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:02 pm

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

So I have heard of this, but didn't pay due attention.

I noticed a bad smell in my incubator a few days age and candled them, which I had planned to do anyway, and removed the duds. The smell didn't go away though and last night I noticed one of the eggs was seeping stuff.
I decided to remove it the next morning and I took out the carton it was in, and removed all the good eggs and put them into a new carton and back into the bator. This turned out to be a very good idea. While I was walking towards the door to dispose of the egg it exploded. I got it in the face on my clothes in my hair, and as I was walking through the kitchen at the time, and it got on the fridge, the table, the floor and of course only a small amount remained in the carton. Words cannot adequately describe the stench. Shocked
I opened every window and every door, I cleaned everything within ten feet of the explosion. I washed all my clothes I showered and still five hours later I wretched every time I came in from outside.
If ever there is a good reason to incubate in the barn or the basement this is certainly it.
I just thank God it didn't explode inside the incubator, or on my way through the living room. What a god-awful stench I would have had to replace the carpet and the couch or learn to live with a gas mask on.
The thing is I did candle them, and there was one egg that looked kind of darkish but not solid. I decided to leave it since I wasn't sure about it. I am now sure that was the one, as the contents were kind of dark.
Next time if I am not sure, out it goes, I do not what to go through that again.

2exploding egg Empty Re: exploding egg Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:21 pm

DLC

I had one of my Guinea eggs seeping but luckily it didnt explode. I feel for you if your like me you'll smell it even when its gone and others cant smell it.

3exploding egg Empty Re: exploding egg Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:22 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh yuck. I know what that is all about. Never had one explode in the incubator but I have had many explode when cleaning out the duck coop, and my gosh that is discusting. I cant imagine that smell in my house, I think you are right you would have had to completely replace the carpet.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

4exploding egg Empty Re: exploding egg Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:57 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I wonder if the shell was starting to contract in the cooler air and that set it off.

Don't suppose you got it on video?

5exploding egg Empty Re: exploding egg Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:06 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ewww, that sounds awful. Rotters are like little bom just waiting to go off.

6exploding egg Empty Re: exploding egg Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:57 am

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Update:
today I had another cracked egg, split right across it. I got a paper towel and carefully picked it up and ran outside with it. (To bad there is no video of that Laughing )
I put it in the compost and with a long stick hit it to see what was going on. It had a partially developed chick in it but no horrid smell.
When I started my eggs I used two incubators. I think something catastrophic happened in one of them, as when I candled I had lost all but five from one but I had about 18 good eggs in the other.
I think one bator must have had a temp spike that killed almost all the eggs in the one and probably damaged the few that survived.
I made a huge mistake by putting the five survivors(?) in with my good eggs in the other incubator.
All five were probably killed and now I have added five time bombs to my good batch. When they start to hatch and kick the other eggs around I still have three eggs in there that are probably dead and may be little stink bombs.
I will candled again before lock down and hopefully find the remaining three.
Definately a live and learn experience.

7exploding egg Empty Re: exploding egg Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:03 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

This is a lesson from UNO, use your nose and smell every egg, especially if you smell something when you open the bator. You will know which egg is bad and then you can discard it.
I threw an egg over the fence yesterday that was under a hen, when I candled it, it was liquid floating around, so I knew it wasn't right. It hit the fence in behind and popped, goodness, I could smell it in the yard.
Oh I feel so bad that had to happen to you....but you are right, a learning lesson to be sure.

8exploding egg Empty Re: exploding egg Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:05 am

Prairie Chicken

I got spit in the face by a llama, and I thought that was bad enough......and I have had oozy eggs in my incubator but never knew they might explode. Thanks for the warning.

9exploding egg Empty Re: exploding egg Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:44 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

chickeesmom wrote:This is a lesson from UNO, use your nose and smell every egg, especially if you smell something when you open the bator. You will know which egg is bad and then you can discard it.
I threw an egg over the fence yesterday that was under a hen, when I candled it, it was liquid floating around, so I knew it wasn't right. It hit the fence in behind and popped, goodness, I could smell it in the yard.
Oh I feel so bad that had to happen to you....but you are right, a learning lesson to be sure.

Bet your neighbours LOVE you. lol!

Poor guy is laying in his lawn chair, sipping a lemonade and suddenly he's being bombarded.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum