Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A fox or what else?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A fox or what else? Empty A fox or what else? Tue May 21, 2013 12:57 pm

niglefritz

Can a fox leave absolutely NO trace if they go after 4 mature muscovies, including a drake?

We counted the ducks up yesterday late afternoon and realized that 5 were missing. No trace, no feathers, no bodies, no blood, no tracks or other signs that we could see. We checked an ever widening perimeter around our yard, and even checked an old dugout quite a ways away to see if they decided that it might be tempting. No ducks. The only other thing that we could thing of as far as a predator that leaves no trace is people, but they would have quite some sneaking to do to get through to our back area...and we were outside most of the afternoon. Most people don't even know that we keep more than a just dog because nothing is visible from the front/road.

We have seen a fox come in in the past, but haven't seen it for at least 1 1/2 months...we didn't get it. We saw racoons a few weeks ago about 1/4 mile away, but they were not headed to or from our place, and this is not looking like that either. Coyotes usually announce their kill and are more active at night.

We found that one drake went missing 2 weeks ago, then the next day, 2 duck hens...again no trace. We figured most likely that fox...but 5 within a couple of hours???

We haven't lost any today, yet.

Any ideas? Are we on the right track?

Off to count them again...

2A fox or what else? Empty Re: A fox or what else? Tue May 21, 2013 8:55 pm

chickencrazygirl

chickencrazygirl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

The coyotes that got some of my chickens last year came at any point of the day and unless I had not seen them with chickens in their mouths running I would not have known. No feathers were scattered around. Being I shoulted and made chase one chicken was dropped.
So I would say it could well be a coyote as well.

http://www.wovenndreamscanada.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum