Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Coopers & PChants growing up! (picture heavy)

+3
CynthiaM
KendraG
coopslave
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thought I would share what is going on in my grower pen.
The Coopers are an interesting enterprise. I am enjoying the journey so far. Still lots of variety and I suspect it will be that way for a few years yet. Many different combs and some feathered legs still. I have some that have more feathered shanks than the F1s had. Very interesting.

So, here is one of the cockerels. Took so many pictures and only one of a boy. I had my first cull a couple of days ago, so not many older males left, just the younger ones.
Coopers &  PChants growing up! (picture heavy) SAM_2186_zpsf5151ef2

Some of the pretty pullets.
Coopers &  PChants growing up! (picture heavy) SAM_2224_zps7ddb0b54
Coopers &  PChants growing up! (picture heavy) SAM_2204_zps7c2794dd
Coopers &  PChants growing up! (picture heavy) SAM_2198_zpsf4eeecec

Exhausting having your photo taken.....
Coopers &  PChants growing up! (picture heavy) SAM_2213_zps2807756d

Thought I would show you some of the PChants too. This is a good age for everyone to see pullets compared to cockerels. I don't go by comb as much as feather, body shape and leg thickness. I still have some the fool me, but I find the better quality the pullets get the more distinct the barring on them gets.

Interesting enough the cockerels prefer the front on, in your face kind of shot. Rolling Eyes
Coopers &  PChants growing up! (picture heavy) SAM_2235_zps2584bc42
Coopers &  PChants growing up! (picture heavy) SAM_2199_zps525cae1b
Coopers &  PChants growing up! (picture heavy) SAM_2169_zps0ec71595

Some of the pretty ladies!
Coopers &  PChants growing up! (picture heavy) SAM_2220_zps81820b34
Coopers &  PChants growing up! (picture heavy) SAM_2206_zps45c6ffd8
Coopers &  PChants growing up! (picture heavy) SAM_2190_zpsbd9841c7
Coopers &  PChants growing up! (picture heavy) SAM_2188_zps206ab04c
Coopers &  PChants growing up! (picture heavy) SAM_2173_zpse58c1ff8

Here is a good shot to really see the difference between a cockerel feather and pullet feather around this age. She is younger, but you can still see how different they are.
Coopers &  PChants growing up! (picture heavy) SAM_2209_zpse515368e

I would call this a gaggle if I didn't know better! Laughing
Coopers &  PChants growing up! (picture heavy) SAM_2225_zps29dfdfc4

I also have another little project I have been kicking around. I will not really be ready to introduce them until next years hatch, but here is a teaser for you! Wink
Coopers &  PChants growing up! (picture heavy) SAM_2234_zps5b5328b4
Coopers &  PChants growing up! (picture heavy) SAM_2218_zps9b806d68
Coopers &  PChants growing up! (picture heavy) SAM_2227_zpsfed5fb65

KendraG

KendraG

The blue Coopers are very pretty!

Last year, after you told me how to tell whether my chick was a boy or a girl I went home and looked at his solid red breast - hopefully this year I get more of a variety, and those little fluffies running around out there aren't all cockerels!

I am curious about the new project ....

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Glad I was able to help Kendra. Hopefully these pictures will help others too. It has taken me a couple of years to figure it out. I have to say that pullets that are not going to have good pencilling can fool you into thinking they are cockerels.
The new project will have to wait until next hatching season to see if it works! Laughing

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nice, Coopslave, those blues are looking very nice. I love when chickens look so intently at us when we take their photos. I have a pretty good guess what your mystery chicks are, smiling. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Looking good Coop! Smile I love the gawky, teen stage. lol Also curious about your project...is that mottled I see?

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes CynthiaM, you would have a very good guess at it!

Flicker, it is mottling. I am surprised it has showed up in the F1s, I think it is just juvenile mottling (we have spoken of this on another thread) at this stage, but I am interested to see their next feathers. I suspect they will be all black when they are finished, but wait until next year!!

I love the gawky, teen stage too! All the hope of things to come in a crazy looking package! Laughing

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I thought so. Smile I've never had a mottled bird (yet) myself, but find them really attractive.

Hehe, hope you plan on keeping the muffs and beards! Razz

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have been meaning to post my coopers for the world to see, but my hard drive died and I have lost all photos, so need to start from scratch. Yours are looking good, but mine are cuter Very Happy

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have a good guess at the project too. Very Happy

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

coopslave wrote:

I love the gawky, teen stage too! All the hope of things to come in a crazy looking package! Laughing

Along with the dorky, gawky teen stage too, ever noticed how their voices change? Gone from the cute little peep sound to something, well, just gawky, no other word for it. Not an adult voice, nor a child voice. That is funny too. I need to get my camera and take some video of chicken voices one day. I started doing that once, but then lost that train of thought, somewhere down the road. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Those are some good lookin teenagers. Your little in "your face" cockerl makes me think of the toughest boy at the smokers pit. Makes me laugh when you get those character shots Coopers &  PChants growing up! (picture heavy) 364988687

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum