Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Eggs won't peel

+2
mirycreek
cuckoomama
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Eggs won't peel Empty Eggs won't peel Wed May 15, 2013 2:55 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I want to make my husband pickled eggs. I tried a few weeks ago but the eggs (duck) were too fresh. I saved a dozen duck eggs and put them in the fridge for 2 weeks so that that wouldn't be an issue. Yesterday I cooked up the two week old eggs ( brought the eggs to a boil and then turned off the water, leaving them for 17 minutes as instructed) and immediately plunged them in cold water, then drained them after 15-20 minutes and then put them the fridge. This morning I tried to peel them... and what a mess. So much for the pickled eggs. What do you do when you make hard boiled eggs? Is there a secret to it that I don't know? Please share.

2Eggs won't peel Empty Re: Eggs won't peel Wed May 15, 2013 3:28 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

peel them right away as they are cooling in the water in sink, I have never cooled them overnight and then tried, also never tried hardboiling duck eggs before, maybe they are different to peel?

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

3Eggs won't peel Empty Re: Eggs won't peel Wed May 15, 2013 3:39 pm

I found the duck egg we boiled to peel very easily and it was laid that day. I put vinegar and salt in my water when boiling. Usually, I only boil 2 week old eggs, this was a special case.

That said, I also leave eggs I want to boil on the cupboard for a day or so and then put them in the fridge. It usually works.

4Eggs won't peel Empty Re: Eggs won't peel Wed May 15, 2013 9:43 pm

niglefritz

You can also try putting a little cooking oil into your water.

5Eggs won't peel Empty Re: Eggs won't peel Thu May 16, 2013 6:49 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I always use soft water, be that rain water or water with salt in it. do not cool the eggs and then try to peel them. I think that is your mistake. Peel them as soon as you can handle the eggs after cooling. I put cold water in the pot, drain that off and then more cold water, and peel immediately. Always have eggs that peel easily. For surely, you had let the eggs get cold and then they become horrible to peel. Been there, done that. Don't cool the eggs down, somethin happens. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

6Eggs won't peel Empty Re: Eggs won't peel Thu May 16, 2013 7:40 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

The trick is to crack the shell (I tap with a spoon) before putting them in the cold water. My eggs peel like a dream ever since I started doing this!

7Eggs won't peel Empty Re: Eggs won't peel Thu May 16, 2013 7:42 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Chickencrack suggests massive amounts of salt in the boiling water.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum