Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

buff orpington hen hatching muscovie eggs :)

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

cbrookkelly

cbrookkelly
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Well this first time momma was so determined to set so I gave her 4 muscovie eggs 32 days ago. She is still setting with determination too. I candled the eggs today...risking losing chunks of my hand to do so....and all 4 eggs are right on sxhedule. I love it when a chicken hen hatches and raises ducklings! Pictures to come soon.

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I always feel so sorry for the poor mommas when those babies get playing in the first bit of water they can find!! Poor mommas look so worried and upset! It is pretty funny though to watch! My black Aussie raised 9 last year and would go into the water trying to chase her babies out!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

BirdBrain

New Here

My mom was just sharing a story that we had a hen hatch some duck eggs, it wasn't too long, before the hen realized they weren't chickens and ate the whole hatch. Anyone else have that experience?

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

My momma hen loved her babies!! She protected them like crazy!! Over the years growing up we had many hens hatch ducklings, the only birds to kill the babies were the other chickens, not momma herself!!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

BirdBrain

New Here

Hmmmm, maybe that was what happened .... I'll have to ask Mom if they were in with the others.

Im curious, how does this work for the duckling's need to swim?

cbrookkelly

cbrookkelly
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have had chicken hens hatch ducklings before and never had a problem with the ducklings wanting to swim in their water dish...momma gets a little excited but she gets over it pretty quick. They usually have more anxiety trying to keep them under for warmth as ducklings grow so fast and don't need near the coddling as chicks do. Eventually momma gets over her children not listening to her and she carries on lol. It is really cute to see a chicken hen trying to fluff out over ducklings that get so big so fast. By the time they are a couple of weeks old momma learns to be content just having them near her when they are resting.

My broodies, no matter what they are hatching always have their own coop and run so I don't worry about others taking or harming the youngsters Very Happy

They should be hatching tomorrow or even tonight. Momma is fierce and I don't dare take a look under her until she comes off her nest.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum