Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

which breed of geese are your favourites?

+12
Blue Hill Farm
cornel
Hillbilly
heda gobbler
bckev
lady leghorn
HigginsRAT
SerJay
appway
Schipperkesue
smokyriver
vic's chicks
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1which breed of geese are your favourites? Empty which breed of geese are your favourites? Mon May 06, 2013 10:51 am

vic's chicks

I have been thinking of getting pilgrims for a while now. I was just curious about what kind of geese other people raise and why they like them or prefer them to another breed.

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have pilgrims and love them!! I find them very personable!! Great to have around!! I am also trying to get some sebastopols as I think they are beautiful.

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have Toulouse and I love them.

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

I Have Embdens and hate them
But like the Toulouse and Buffs

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Only have a pilgrim pair and a Buff girl and my pilgrim girl is my favourite Smile She's so curious and sweet she decided to sit on her 6 eggs yesterday so I just came in from bringing her some broccoli and having a pet. My Buff girl is nice too but not as interested in us. I haven't made friends with pilgrim boy I like him to be a bit wary of us. He's protective of his girls but even with girls laying and getting broody we've had no issues of rotten behaviour however my kids have been warned to stay away from nest area for now so he won't feel it necessary to protect.

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

What beautiful birds. cheers I love sebastapols best though.

Last edited by lady leghorn on Mon May 20, 2013 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Super Africans, haven't had them in a long time but have eggs in the mail as we speak. Very excited about it.

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Love my Shetlands and my Toulouse! Quite different characters but both tough as nails...

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I like the Africans as well. I have a Grey that I like too, but I'm not sure he is the norm for the breed having only 1.

cornel

cornel
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

the shetlands are great. very hardy and need very little care, easily tamed and good mothers

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Lovely birds Tara.

My favorite breed is the Canada goose. Very beautiful and extremely low maintenance. Razz

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

HigginsRAT wrote:Heel low:

And ANd AND...the female Shetlands look like our Buff Pieds in a grey pattern, not buff! Gender linked colourations. Don't forget that kewlest of parts about that breed of geese! Cool

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Like a few other goose breeds, including the Pilgrim and Cotton Patch, Shetlands are sexually dimorphic (called auto-sexing in poultry nomenclature), and can be differentiated on appearance alone. Ganders have entirely white plumage, while geese have a head, neck, and upper body with gray highlights and a white underbody.

Flicker Chick wrote:Lovely birds Tara. ...

My favorite breed is the Canada goose. Very beautiful and extremely low maintenance. Razz

Thank you but what a brat FC! Evil or Very Mad

Now if THAT was the case...the Trumpeter Swans that fly over in spring and fall here...THOSE are my all time favourite waterfowl (sorry, not a goose, swanny). Takes my breath right away to see the magnificent wild wonderments and I don't have to lift a finger to maintain them. Best ever kinda eye candy. tongue

Tara

Haha, I couldn’t resist. Nanana

I've tried my hand at waterfowl over the years and discovered I’m a landfowl gal through in through. It’s not that I don’t like them, because I do, but the mess…the wet stinky MESS. affraid Lol
Now I enjoy other people’s ducks and geese from afar ( Kewl Pictures are the bestest) and the wild ones that fly by. I'm hopeful some wilds will choose to nest in our pond. More than good enough for me. Smile

la-chicken

I have Pilgrims as well.
Very easy to work around. Both girls are nesting and the male allows me to walk up and give his girls treats. I get the odd hiss but he knows no harm is coming.

They are also very friendly with the other pond mates and their babies.

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have production Africans, they are nice, have had some real funny / sweet charactors amongst them.

Had Chineese... horrible hateful things, nasty hissing NOISY beasts. Gave you the EEEEEEEvil eye a alot, very self rightious.

Have two Buffs. I think they are very pretty, quite self sufficient and hardy. They just hatched two babies! They are not particularly friendly though. I dont think it is the bred, I think it is just these two.

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Arcticsun wrote:

Had Chineese... horrible hateful things, nasty hissing NOISY beasts. Gave you the EEEEEEEvil eye a alot, very self rightious.

These were the geese I had briefly...I actually really liked them, but they HATED everyone and everything BUT me. Which didn't go over so well with the family. I can still see DH running for his life with four Chinese geese hot on his heels. Laughing

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Years ago we had super africans and loved them.
So a few years ago I bought a trio of africans.
Well they were horrible they attached anyone
that came in the field. When hubby came out
to fix something in the barn for me I had to
walk him in or look out that gander was bad.
So I sold them off.
Thinking about it now maybe I was to hasty
I know the llamas watch out for four legged
danger but the two legged ones could walk in
and help themselves. If I still had those
africans no one would get in to take anything.
He even came at me a few times had to give
him a lesson on who was boss.

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Karona, I bet they were crossed with chinese for larger egg yields. This is where the term "super" came from. Africans are supposed to have dewlaps. Africans without them are most likely crossed with a chinese at some point to increase laying.

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Didn't finish before I hit send...
Some of the hatcheries started calling the dewlaps Super to distinguish them from the crosses.

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Here is a picture of the trio they do have dewlaps

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I wondered if you had a cross with a chinese and maybe that aggression was from the chinese side. I got Africans because of their calm temperment. Maybe yours are just cranky. Here's a pair I have. They appear a bit beefier.

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

the one on the far right in your picture looks more like the chinese body type than the african to me. Small dewlap as well, but maybe just young?

vic's chicks

I really wanted pilgrims but hmmm, buffs sound nice and so do shetlands. The africans sound great but are a little strange looking to me. I heard shetlands fly. Is this a problem? There is a small hatchery called little red hen in vancouver . they have pilgrims. What do I need to know about the parent stock? If the parents are aggressive will the offspring be aggressive or is it an individual thing or based on life experiences. I have also heard they live a long time so I am willing to wait for the right ones. What the heck is a dewlap and what is it for?

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have had Chinese, Embden and Toulouse.

Really love the chinese and toulouse.. I found the embden just aggressive.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum