Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Imprinting other mammals

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Imprinting other mammals Empty Imprinting other mammals Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:59 am

Hi!

Stupid question: There's an 'imprinting' process for horses. Can this be done with goats and other livestock as well? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

2Imprinting other mammals Empty Re: Imprinting other mammals Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:26 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweetened wrote:Hi!

Stupid question: There's an 'imprinting' process for horses. Can this be done with goats and other livestock as well? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

I can't see how it will hurt. There is nothing worse than a sheep or goat afraid to be touched. Makes vetting and shearing difficult.

Wait- upon further thought, it may make a ram or buck too friendly and they may look upon you as a potential target...if you know what I mean.

I leave all the bonding to Doug. When the kids are born he spends hourd cuddling them.

3Imprinting other mammals Empty Re: Imprinting other mammals Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:20 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We used to imprint our miniature foals. Once they were born and licked off, we handled every body part.

Patted under their hooves I forget, about 40 times per foot. Wiggled our fingers in their nostrils, rubbed

our hands all over their legs, in the ears ( important if clipping inside for showing) Lifted up tail,

just so they would let us handle it. Finger in their mouth. Basically handling every body part. Takes a

little while to complete, but soooo worth it. There is a video you can buy on imprinting foals, by a vet

in the states, can't recall his name, but well worth the money.

You could easily do this with other animals.

4Imprinting other mammals Empty Re: Imprinting other mammals Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:34 pm

Butterboy

Butterboy

Imprinting goes a long way, but as sue said, with bucks and rams you need to be careful. I have found with bottle fed or imprinted rams they get very bold and aggressive, with bucks they just get really annoying. I have imprinted yaks, cows, horses, goats, sheep and pigs. All turn out easy to handle but of them all it works the least with sheep, mostly because of their flighty nature.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum