Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

cut pad lab pup

+3
heda gobbler
appway
vic's chicks
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1cut pad lab pup Empty cut pad lab pup Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:01 am

vic's chicks

My 10 month old lab has cut her paw. Not a bad or deep cut but she is limping quite badly and licking it a lot. Just wondering how others have dealt with this. Do I try to bandage it? We have a lot of chicken poop on the ground because our birds free range. I am concerned about infection.

2cut pad lab pup Empty Re: cut pad lab pup Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:46 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would not bandage it he will just take it off
The cleanest is him Licking it
You could Iodine it and let it dry then turn him loose
The LGD are always cutting theirs on something and they are fine even with the poultry poo

3cut pad lab pup Empty Re: cut pad lab pup Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:10 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes, my LGD is always cutting his pads too. I sometimes soak it in epsom salts and make sure there is nothing in it, if he limps a lot put him in his (clean) run for a while until the bleeding stops. But generally if it isn't too deep he is up and normal in a few days.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

4cut pad lab pup Empty Re: cut pad lab pup Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:30 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'd clean it twice a day with epsom salts or Stanhexadine. Leaving it open to the air and exposed to whatever he steps in but cleaning twice a day will ensure it won't become infected.

5cut pad lab pup Empty Re: cut pad lab pup Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:01 pm

HiddenAcresBC

HiddenAcresBC

Be thankful. Our black lab.retreiver cross cut her pad 2 days ago. Except she sliced it straight in half to the bone. A set of stitches to sew the meat up AND a set of stitches on the outside to hold the pad together. $740 later...antibiotics, painkillers, anasthesia, emergency road trip to the vet...equals a very expensive day for us. Vet figures her pad wont even heal back together since it was such a clean sweep split right in half. Grrrrrrrrr!!!

6cut pad lab pup Empty Re: cut pad lab pup Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:42 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

7cut pad lab pup Empty Re: cut pad lab pup Wed May 01, 2013 6:25 pm

vic's chicks

I have been soaking it with epsom salts. It is four days now and she is still limping badly. It hasn't closed up in one spot She has been really good about taking it easy for a 10 month old pup. My son said his dog took three weeks for her pad to heal. thanks everyone..

8cut pad lab pup Empty Re: cut pad lab pup Mon May 06, 2013 2:15 pm

vic's chicks

Well I am giving up and taking her to the vet tomorrow. We have tried everything but it won't close up. We have stitch tape and a bandage on since last night. She managed to get it off once, but has been pretty good leaving it alone today. I hope the vet can do something to help the situation.

9cut pad lab pup Empty Re: cut pad lab pup Wed May 22, 2013 9:18 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

How is your dog's foot doing? I know it was several days ago and you were heading to the vet but I would like to make a suggestion. I usually head to the vet but I also keep one of those lovely plastic cones at home for each of my dogs "just in case". They can really help to stop the licking by limiting the dog's ability to reach the injury. Licking is the enemy of healing. As the dog licks at any wound bacteria is being introduced and the wound is being kept very moist. Bacteria LOVE warm moist environments! Licking also damages the skin and delays healing. Pads can be really tough to heal. Every time the dog steps on the foot the pad flattens and spreads, this action pulls apart any laceration with every step undoing part of the body's repair work. Seek advice from your vet, stop the licking, keep it clean and dry. Watch for signs of infection such as redness, swelling or discharge especially if it is getting worse and try to keep the dog as quiet as possible. Again I hope your dog is 100% and this is unnecessary advice.

10cut pad lab pup Empty Re: cut pad lab pup Thu May 23, 2013 10:21 am

vic's chicks

The vet said to just leave it alone, that it was doing ok by itself. She was spayed a week later so that gave it a bit of time to heal because she wasn't running on it so much for a week. She never did lick it much thank goodness. She wasn't too bad with the spaying either. I hate putting those cones on them but sometimes you have no choice if they won't leave it alone. For a couple of days after spaying she wore one of my husbands t shirts. I am glad she is not a real licker. She doesn't seem to be limping at all now.

11cut pad lab pup Empty Re: cut pad lab pup Thu May 23, 2013 11:40 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Delighted to hear everything is going well and that she is healing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum