Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Got my weasel, will there be more?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Got my weasel, will there be more? Empty Got my weasel, will there be more? Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:13 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

This bugger has killed many of my birds. I moved them all to another location, set a trap but caught nothing. Couple weeks ago I got a trio of lavender D'Uccles (new line) put them in the barn and all was well. Until yesterday, one of my hens had her head eaten. Grrr not happy!
So I set up the live trap and used one of the dead hens legs in the trap, thinking it wouldn't come back so soon. Well this morning I look in the room and sure enough there is the weasel in the trap cheers finally got the little monster.

So my question is...is that the only one or will there be more?

2Got my weasel, will there be more? Empty Re: Got my weasel, will there be more? Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:25 pm

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

In my experience, getting one is all. Have had weasel problems 2 times. First time we shot it and that was it (Fort Nelson). Second time we lost a few youngsters that would fall asleep outside the coop before I put them in, but once they started roosting in the coop no more problem (at the coast). My friend in 100 Mile also had a weasel, but once she trapped it, no more trouble.

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

3Got my weasel, will there be more? Empty Re: Got my weasel, will there be more? Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:51 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

I only ever lost one bird at a time, it never did a massive killing, that's why I wasn't sure if it was a weasel. So I hope that means it was a loner and not greedy...lol

4Got my weasel, will there be more? Empty Re: Got my weasel, will there be more? Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:57 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

This time of year I would bet it has a mate. I made the mistake a couple weeks ago after killing a mink, not to dispose of it immediately and reset the trap. That night I lost a chicken.

5Got my weasel, will there be more? Empty Re: Got my weasel, will there be more? Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:09 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Glad you got the little monster! What kind of trap did you use? As to whether there will be more, I cannot say. I’d probably set the trap again just in case…have you considered the electric ones? I bet an electric rat trap would fry a weasel real good...I use the mouse ones and they work wonderfully.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum