Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pasty butt, a clear and present danger, part 2

+2
bckev
CynthiaM
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Pasty butt, discussion again. What is with this condition?

Yes, so around the date of last Tuesday and Wednesday, chicks hatched. Was a little off with the numbers of what I think are welsummers, but barnvelders and delawares were correct numbers.

Twelve delawares hatched out, healthy, 15 welsummers hatched out, healthy, and 23 barnvelders hatched out healthy.

Eight of those 12 delawares had ichy pasty butt and needed attention on the third day. Cleaned them all up. Nice clean butts.

All 15 and all 23 of the welsummers and barnvelders did not have one with even a remote inkling of pasty butt.

Come on. What is with that? When the delawares went home yesterday, they were 4 days old, if you count day of hatch. When I packed them up, only 3 of the eight chicks had evidence of that mucky pasty butt. I did not clean the butts as I wanted the new mamma to have experience of how to wash those tender little buttlings.

So, still trying to get what causes pasty butt. All chicks were fed identical food and water. The brooding room is warm as toast, with an overhead infrared heater and a 250 watt heat lamp over the brooding box. Enough room to move away from the heat light if they want. They are 100% absolutely not chilled. So why? Anyone want to take a guess on that. Only one breed and zero and I mean ZERO evidence of pasty butt on the welsummers and barnvelders (oh and if chick down colour differentiation between males and females on welsummers is correct, I have two males and 13 females, I actually wanted lots of males, what gives with that, smiling). Please, come on...need more discussion here. I am perplexed and annoyed at the same time. Why, why, why? Nothing to do with chilling or food, so what is it? Are some breeds better at digesting food and utilizing it in the body? Are some breeds just susceptible to it?

I know for a fact that when I incubate buff orpingtons and cochins together, the cochins do not get pasty butt, but the odd buff Orpington will, say 3 of 20 and it is not present after the fourth day of life. What gives. Blah. One of these mornings where I need to get down to figuring stuff out, smiling. Lots to figure out in my life. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Don't mention this to sue it makes her twitch.

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

CynthiaM wrote:Pasty butt, discussion again. What is with this condition?

Nothing to do with chilling or food, so what is it? Are some breeds better at digesting food and utilizing it in the body? Are some breeds just susceptible to it?

I mentioned it before when I noticed it with my cochins, my first year with them..they go hatch the same time a my other breeds and go together in the brooder, same as you: 250 bulb etc. No pasty bum anywhere except the Buff Cochins I need to keep checking the first few days. Then I changes feed and it cleared up much better. Soo,. its just another mistery and maybe a combination of things. I think some lines of breeds are more susceptible as your cochins do not get it and mine do, but my cochins also have incredible much fluff and their confirmation is a bit tipped forward and som it makes a nicer table for the poo to fall onto?? My aunt has the same thing almost, can balance a whole platter of glasses on her rear. ONLY have I had this trouble with the cochins and none with my other breeds, of which I hatched far more. I cannot remember who, but someone posted an article on this with real research and evidence, I think it was feed related.

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Can't they do exercises, like Kegel exercises, to tighten that muscle???

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Suspect

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I hope you aren't reccomending cullling sue, I am sure she would be willing ot join a gym or something to strengthen those muscles now that she knows what the cause may be.

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

glad to hear that, seeing as it is not contagious and the kids in her class won't be going home with it. So she just needs to exercise and cut down on the barley. If that doesn't work a referral to house, he can solve any problem, even in reruns.

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

HigginsRAT wrote:
heda gobbler wrote:Can't they do exercises, like Kegel exercises, to tighten that muscle???

And see...what Cindi with the M draws out of otherwise decent crowds of persons...now we got discussions about butt exercise for chickens?
Cripers...I must quit having coffee time here...sinful ditch vaulting discussions. My mother would be so disappointed in how I have turned out and what I involve myself in...hem hem.
Tara

Good morning Tara Very Happy , you too do have a way of making people smile. Kegel exercises, that has to do with the butt? Razz

Nope, don't quit having coffee here, Tara, aren't we a whole whack of fun loving folk, get any conversation goin' on that we deem to suit the day.

Dan Smith made an interesting comment about pasty butt and not so much chilling, but overheating. He thinks that it could be from over heating in some instances, not chilling. I can see that, that may be plausible, because as I said, the room is warm, so there really is not any chilling going on. But overheating, quite possible, that heat lamp temperature below is very warm and most chicks have the sense to move away from it if too hot, maybe some don't. I don't know. I just know it bugs me. And I always stand watch to see if this arises, and do that picking, washing with a soft little fluff ball in warm water, blowdrying the butt with my breath (don't take long to dry a little fuzzy butt after I have towel dried with a kleenex) (how's that for ya Tara, you now can talk about blowing breath on baby's butts Embarassed ). Tease me all you want girl, I can take it and I love it!!

Pasty butt. A clear and present danger. When I think more about it, I wonder if it has to do with colour. Piet you had buff cochins. With the blues and blacks, I have to pick each one up and do a visual, but buff is so easy to see. Although never found blues and blacks to have much of an issue, ever. Perhaps the colour of the chick. Who knows. I just know that it bugs me and I know I will probably forever more have to watch for this, in every chick I incubate. And...yes, I have seen once, only once, a little buff that a mamma cochin was raising with the issue. Guess she did not notice and didn't pick it off Shocked

Pasty butt, a clear and present danger. have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

Oh yes, Tara, thanks for typing out that information that you did. Always nice for that special touch.

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Just so you know, I AM taking note of all this culling talk. Mad

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Just as long as you notice I had your back even with the pasty butt.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum