Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Treating for roundworm

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Treating for roundworm Empty Treating for roundworm Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:41 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Discovered for the first time a couple of days ago that one of my flocks has round worm, so treated all my flocks yesterday with Piperazine -1/2tsp per 2 litres of water.

Am I correct that I treat for one day only (according to the package) and then treat again in 7-10 days (according to Gail Damerow in 'The Chicken Health Handbook') for one day again?

Also, how much time should I give for egg withdrawal after each dose?

I did treat all my birds topically with Eprinex two months ago - .5cc and it appears it does not kill Roundworm..............nor the Red poultry mite in my past experience.

This leads to my last question: what is Eprinex supposed to treat if, in my experience, it doesn't kill Red mites and Roundworm?

But mainly I am posting this thread to understand the best way to treat for Roundworm with the Piperazine and egg withdrawal.

Thanks. Smile

2Treating for roundworm Empty Re: Treating for roundworm Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:52 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I use piperazine just as you have described. For one day of drinking water. Next day, fresh water. I have NEVER tossed any eggs. The doctor would give YOU piperazine if you had worms so if it's acceptable for you to swallow yourself, there is no reason to toss any eggs. I contacted the vet clinic AND the poison control centre to find information on withdrawl for piperazine and there was none. SO, you have no real chemical concerns.

I found Eprinex to be VERY effective at getting rid of mites and lice and worms. But it does NOT get rid of the egg stage of pests. All the adult worms/critters will die, but you still have a crop of eggs waiting to hatch. So Eprinex is not a one shot deal. You may have up to three generations of eggs waiting to hatch in and on your birds at different times, you have to have enough Eprinex in your bird, over a long enough period of time, to be lethal to all the beasties the moment they hatch.

If you have a large load of crawlers, internal and external, Eprinex is a method to get them under control. But you are going to have to be consistent with it for a dedicated period of time. Be ready to treat, treat again and treat again. ONce that is over, hanging a NoPest strip in the hen house and dosing everyone once or twice a year with piperazine should keep things under control. But complete and permanent eradication of pests is NOT POSSIBLE. What you hope for is to keep the enemy down to the lowest number you can and Eprinex, used properly, has been the single biggest help to me in achieving this. (I also think we get too hung up on measuring out the perfect .5 mil dose. To heck with that, get an eye dropper, suck up a shot and squirt it on!)

3Treating for roundworm Empty Re: Treating for roundworm Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:02 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks so much once again Uno for your thoughtful and thorough reply. I feel confident about my approach now.

Cheers my dear!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum