Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Planting Garlic

+2
CynthiaM
bckev
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Planting Garlic Empty Planting Garlic Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:01 pm

I had a few garlic pieces start to sprout in the fridge and I am curious if I can plant them and they will grow and reproduce ??

2Planting Garlic Empty Re: Planting Garlic Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:32 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have done that in the past and had them grow.

3Planting Garlic Empty Re: Planting Garlic Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:42 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yep, but you will not get a great big bulb with big cloves, you might get a small bulb, hard to say. I know that garlic planted in the fall as a clove will give a full sized bulb the following year with clove separations. Try it, can't hurt, you might be pleasantly surprised. Or plant it and use that clove to provide greens like chives or onions, yummeeee! Have an awesome day. CynthiaM.

4Planting Garlic Empty Re: Planting Garlic Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:40 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

I plant garlic in the fall and leave in the next year and harvest in the second year and it is GREAT, in fact I plan many root crops in the fall and am way ahead of everyone in the spring.

http://www.popscoops.com

5Planting Garlic Empty Re: Planting Garlic Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:22 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

pops coops wrote:I plant garlic in the fall and leave in the next year and harvest in the second year and it is GREAT, in fact I plant many root crops in the fall and am way ahead of everyone in the spring.
Please tell us more about the root crops you plant. Thanks Very Happy

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

6Planting Garlic Empty Re: Planting Garlic Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:27 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Just before freeze up with no chance of warm weather, I plant beets, Carrots, Radish, and any other root crop, then in the spring they are up when most people are planting, I had a friend that has passed away, and they had a market garden , many years ago I asked how come in the end of May or the beginning of June, they had beets carrots and the such all ready and advertised as fresh just picked, they had a HUGE garden and after the first snow fall the had a grader take the snow off, then planted and in the spring when you and I are thinking about it their garden was up. Have been doing this for years now and with great success.

7Planting Garlic Empty Re: Planting Garlic Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:17 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

There is nothing more lovely than a braid of garlic hanging from your wall.

8Planting Garlic Empty Re: Planting Garlic Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:18 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:There is nothing more lovely than a braid of garlic hanging from your wall.

Or your bed post, to keep dark and evil things away

9Planting Garlic Empty Re: Planting Garlic Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:25 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Shocked

10Planting Garlic Empty Re: Planting Garlic Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:11 pm

birish

great idea Pops,peas are another crop that works

11Planting Garlic Empty Re: Planting Garlic Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:19 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes but peas grow fast, but yes I have grown then in a winter garden as well

12Planting Garlic Empty Re: Planting Garlic Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:45 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I find this most interesting PopsCoops, about planting in fall. I know from my experience with the family nursery I had for about 15 years, that many, many seeds had to be frozen for at least 48 hours. Things like snapdragons, in particular come to mind. The reason for this is that the freezing forces the dormancy of the seeds to break. I am pretty sure now that maybe many, many more than I ever understood about, would be greatly assisted by freezing seed first. I keep all my seeds outside in the gazebo actually. They for surely freeze solid in the wintertime, smiling. Think about nature, the plant (veggie whatever) drops its seeds after flowering has completed, the seeds are harboured ON top of the soil and then germinate. That is natural. Also, I wonder how many people know that the only reason that seed companies say to sprinkle seeds with a 1/4 inch covering of dirt. This is not because they need darkness to germinate, mostly to hold the seeds in place. Many seeds require absolutely darkness, hence a heavier covering of soil, but for the most part, most seeds will germinate without cover. Just some little things I know. Also, garlic bulbils, when they fall off the spent flower head of the garlic flower, when it has turned to seed, do not require covering up. I had a field of garlic greens that grew in our old life, where I didn't get around to gathering the flower heads and they fell over the winter. Interesting, the secret life of the plant. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum