Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Word to the wise, double check your feet

+4
CynthiaM
Pollywog
toybarons
KatuskiFarms
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Word to the wise, double check your feet Empty Word to the wise, double check your feet Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:27 pm

I feel so terrible...

I went in to gather eggs and give the beaten up rooster water in his segregation cell. Thanks to the beautiful weather, I was inside the coop trying to chip out the ice blocking the door from closing all the way, shifted and ended up stepping on a pullet's head. I've done this accidentally once before, but I pulled my foot up before doing any damage. This one pulled back quicker than i could lift up and popped its own neck. Not good enough that I didn't have to finish the job, however. *Puke* If I never have to pull with my hands again it'll be too soon.

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Sad Oh man.

Its different, harvesting something and then just taking a life. Just tears me apart to think of what I did, though it wasn't intentional The pullets have never crowded my feet before and usually stay as far away from me as they can get.

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

My family has been forced to get accustomed to death on our farm. Most are unexpected, and those are really hard.
Dead family cat, dead moma cow,2 dead calves, dead moma horse (in labour, died in front of hubby at 4am Good Friday)

Doesn't sound like prosperous place. After the horse I almost wanted to give up on animals totally. Hurts a lot.

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Many ages ago when I was raising quail, Bruce acciendently stepped right full on the back of a small quail, flattening it. It was still alive. He flipped out. I did too. Thankfully, the poor thing died. We broke down we felt so awful. It just happens not meaning too. Comfort

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I don't have any story to share but I do offer a warm, heartfelt sorry you had to experience that. It definitely is different when you do it for harvesting. Crying or Very sad

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sigh...

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hang in there Sweetened, winter will be over soon......

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

It's always traumatic when that happens. So sorry to hear you had to experience this sweetened. Two years ago my husband was working out in the chicken yard when he dropped a 2x4 on a young bird. Thankfully he killed it instantly but he was very shook up by it.

Though I'm not happy that others have gone through this, I'm glad this isn't something that only I have done.

Still bugs me this morning. I had nightmares about it.

Thanks guys.

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

What a bummer!
I caught a chicken in the head with the spring door one day. The pigs were kind enough to finish her off for me. They really enjoyed it!
It took me a few seconds to realize why she was flipping though. At first I thought she had some weird disease. Not the brightest light bulb some mornings....

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

It's always so sad when an accident takes a life. Just one of those fluke things!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum