Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How many here Butcher their own Goats and Sheep?

+3
bckev
coopslave
appway
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Just like it says
I know alot do their own Poultry and Rabbits but how many on here do their own Goats and Sheep
we always did our own
will be interesting to see how many do.

Joe

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hubby does sheep when we can find them. He grew up in NZ so knows his way around sheep! Wink

Never had goat, wouldn't mind trying it.

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

coopslave wrote:Hubby does sheep when we can find them. He grew up in NZ so knows his way around sheep! Wink

Never had goat, wouldn't mind trying it.

I forgot your Hubby was from NZ I bet he did alot of sheep
as for Goat I love it some say it is alot like deer just not gamey
I find it like somewhat like beef
If you can find a Weather goat or doe you should do one I am sure you will like it
Thanks for the answer

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I do my own sheep, goats, deer, elk, moose. I even did a cow once, but my equipment isn't big enough for cattle, fortunately he was a young guy. I love goat, I find it to be more like elk.

Sorry I'm off topic somewhat. I've never done a goat or sheep, but I do have a friend who is dispersing a herd of Boer and Boer Xs, take all or take one, in case anyone is interested. She's here in the north Okanagan.

I love goat meat.

birish

We butcher a couple goats a year plus 2or 3 deer,we also process them also as it saves a lot of money besides having it done in the cuts you want.

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

It is so tempting but I have so much on the go. I am looking at getting out of my sheep and just doing lambs spring to fall, to cut down on the workload a bit. Unless anyone knows someone who will pay me to stay home and farm.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Not sure where I will take my goats and sheep this fall, but I won't do it myself. I wouldn't have any help. Doug is too soft. (In a good way)

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sue if you can do it yourself I can post a link
There is a Girl I know in the states she is 23 and she wrote a thing up for a magazine about it and she posted it on a site I belong to it was written in 2006
it is kind of graphic so dont know if I should post the link
But it is posted on a family site where it is

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

I have always wanted to butcher my own Sheep / Goat. I went hunting for the first time last year, and tagged two deer. Did it all myself.
Hoping to learn how to do a sheep, as it's a skill I will require once I move to my own farm.

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

if you did a deer you can do sheep or goats

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Jonny
here is that link I was talking about to sue
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
If you can do a deer you can do sheep or goat

THIS LINK SHOWS GRAPHIC PICTURES OF BUTCHERING DONT OPEN IF YOU CAN NOT HANDLE

It is from a family homesteading site
Jayme if you dont like it you can delete it

Joe

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

appway wrote:Jonny
here is that link I was talking about to sue
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
If you can do a deer you can do sheep or goat

THIS LINK SHOWS GRAPHIC PICTURES OF BUTCHERING DONT OPEN IF YOU CAN NOT HANDLE

It is from a family homesteading site
Jayme if you dont like it you can delete it

Joe

Based on that link, I would agree I could easily do that.
I even have metal hanger's to hang the goat/sheep with.

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am sure you could Jonny
and not as hard as deer
on Page 3 of the link she shows how she cuts it up

One thing I learned when I did sheep is you dont let the wool touh the meet as it will cause off flavor

Joe

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

There must not be alot of people that do their own
With the Prices the Processors are charging to do it it makes a person wonder should they start doing them their self or should they get out of raising them.

If we end up with a buckling, we'll wether him and do our own (hopefully). Thanks very much for that link.

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

It is getting so expensive, not to mention hard to find a good butcher. Had an experience with a butcher where we did not get back what we took in. After that I started doing my own. I find sheep really easy and quick. I debone my wild game completely, takes up a lot less space in the freezer.

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

appway wrote:

One thing I learned when I did sheep is you dont let the wool touh the meet as it will cause off flavor

Joe

This is a VERY important point!!!!!!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

Grew up with a family that slaughtered everything from Chickens to Beef so a goat or a sheep is small peanuts .....and yes ,you don't let the wool touch the meat ,We normally had sheared the sheep a while prior to slaughter so that was not such a big issue

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum