Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

sticky droppings, feed related

+4
Schipperkesue
CynthiaM
Piet
coopslave
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1sticky droppings, feed related Empty sticky droppings, feed related Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:48 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I thought I would start a new thread here. I was taking over another and thought a new one would be better.

This is a very interesting article on sticky droppings that includes pictures. I always find pictures helpful.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2sticky droppings, feed related Empty Re: sticky droppings, feed related Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:00 am

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I jut ran into this myself. My cochins are prone to poopy bum and i have lost too many in the first week due to plugging of the rear. My other breeds do not have this problem and they share the same brooder. I changed starter feed by coincidence, because for the few bags i needed i just picked it up locally for a couple dollars more per bag, but it saved me from driving 45 minutes. Since the are getting the other brand i have yet to see a cochin with poopy bum, whereas before i had to check/help them daily.

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

3sticky droppings, feed related Empty Re: sticky droppings, feed related Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:04 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is really interesting Piet. I wish they would list ingredients here. In Australia there was always a list of the actual ingredients in the feed, not just the nutrient levels. It frustrates me with horse feed as we have 2 horses that do not tolerate oats, and now with poultry feeds, they may be using barley to make up for lack of other grains. Something to think about for sure!

4sticky droppings, feed related Empty Re: sticky droppings, feed related Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:57 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

How interesting, thanks for doing the research for the paper, Coopslave. That condition with that poopy bum, I am guessing in this particular case, is what I call pastey butt. This often will only happen during the first few days of life, after hatch, and after about 4 days, there is no worry about that. I raise cochins and buff orpingtons currently. With all honesty, I have never once had a cochin with a messy vent, the orpington yes. And this is even more interesting, there is usually only about 2 in say, 40 what have this condition. I always, always check every day for about a week after hatch to ensure there is no pasty butt. After that time, have never seen it in older chicks. I still attribute it to the egg yolk which has been absorbed and then excreted, but that could be wrong. All the chicks get the same MEDicated feed and only a very, very few get pasty butt (sticky poo). What gives, why only one or two, perhaps three, but never any more than that? Never lost a chick to this sticky poo, cause I check daily, that is part of what I do every day when I raise the youngsters. As I said, I don't even bother to look past the 5 day old day mark. It just has never been an issue past this age. Why no cochins? I don't know, raise lots of them. Why only the buff orpington breed? I don't know, I raise lots of them. All on the same food. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

5sticky droppings, feed related Empty Re: sticky droppings, feed related Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:11 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

If you want to know the ingredients, ask at the feed store, They have a binder with all the ingredients of all their feeds listed.

6sticky droppings, feed related Empty Re: sticky droppings, feed related Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:14 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

CynthiaM, the sticky droppings from feed I think is different than the pasty butt you get in chicks I think. Sticky droppings shows in adult birds too and I think are something to be aware of.
I just thought that Piet's personal experience sounds like his chicks were getting pasty butt from feed, but I think there are a few reasons they can get them.

7sticky droppings, feed related Empty Re: sticky droppings, feed related Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:17 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:If you want to know the ingredients, ask at the feed store, They have a binder with all the ingredients of all their feeds listed.

Thanks Sue, I have asked before and some things they seem to know the ingredients of and others don't seem so sure. I think when it is on the bag the company is much more accountable, if it is in a binder and has words like 'could include' you just don't really know. Just one of my pet peeves I suppose. Rolling Eyes

8sticky droppings, feed related Empty Re: sticky droppings, feed related Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:45 pm

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I was told by the feed store that they don't list ingredients because it depends on what is available and how much it costs at the time, so the ingredients could be different every time, but the nutrient values remain the same. They are listed.

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

9sticky droppings, feed related Empty Re: sticky droppings, feed related Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:50 pm

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hmm, I don't think my hens have sticky droppings. Maybe soaking the barley over night does help?

10sticky droppings, feed related Empty Re: sticky droppings, feed related Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:01 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

i noticed this in some chicks, especially hatchery ones that had been shipped but started adding a sprinkle of cornmeal to the chick starter and it seemed to work wonders.
The extra fibre?

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

11sticky droppings, feed related Empty Re: sticky droppings, feed related Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:29 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

SucellusFarms wrote:I was told by the feed store that they don't list ingredients because it depends on what is available and how much it costs at the time, so the ingredients could be different every time, but the nutrient values remain the same. They are listed.

That is what I was told too and I don't like it. I like to know what is in the feed I get, not just what is the cheapest at the moment. Just me though....

12sticky droppings, feed related Empty Re: sticky droppings, feed related Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:27 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I've had lots of problems this year with pasty chick bums. Way more than usual, but they are not chilled or stressed in any way. After seeing this thread I'm thinking it must be feed related. I'm switching chick starter back to my old brand. I'm hoping that will help. Question

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

13sticky droppings, feed related Empty Re: sticky droppings, feed related Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:52 pm

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

coopslave wrote:
That is what I was told too and I don't like it. I like to know what is in the feed I get, not just what is the cheapest at the moment. Just me though....

Agreed, but what can we do?

14sticky droppings, feed related Empty Re: sticky droppings, feed related Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:59 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

So what brands are we talking about here? Shocked How long is feed good for? Could it be expired product?

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum