Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Underground dog fences

+2
auntieevil
DCChick
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Underground dog fences Empty Underground dog fences Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:37 am

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I am considering getting an underground fence along the front of my property to keep my Pyrenese from going on the road.

Does anyone have and experiences with these fences? How effective are they? Or would a lower wire on the electric fence I use for the horses be just as good?

2Underground dog fences Empty Re: Underground dog fences Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:39 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Our Newf never respected the underground fence once we left the property. It was fine while we were home. He actually figured out a way to jump and avoid the shock. Or he simply took the hit, as it meant he'd be with us. We ended up tying him and ripping the whole thing out. We eventually put in a fence with stucco wire. That was only moderately more effective, as he'd climb it or crawl under it. We spent a lot of time finding the weak spots....
Of course this is the same dog that jumped though a plate glass window to try and follow me. He wasn't even home alone at the time, and we'd just returned from an off-leash run.
The underground fences tend to work best with people who have time to train their dogs regularly to the property line and fence. Perhaps the type of dog makes a difference too?
Ours never tried to escape the electric fence after his first experience with it. We could set it low enough he'd not get under it, and high enough he couldn't jump it.
Some people think they are cruel, but after nearly having a dog lacerate itself on window glass, and numerous times be found wandering the roads searching for us, I'll torture a dog with the electric!

3Underground dog fences Empty Re: Underground dog fences Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:55 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

4Underground dog fences Empty Re: Underground dog fences Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:04 pm

LynBar Ranch

LynBar Ranch

LLOOOOOVE them. We have used them for 15+yrs-all different types of breeds too.
My personal feeling is to make or buy steeples to just tack the wire into the ground-so lawnmower can't get it. Works all yr long, ours is still working with tons of snow. We currently run about 6-7 dogs on our system- Pyrenees, Toy Rats, Shepherds. Pet Safe company is amazing to deal with, great warranty, they speak English, lol.

http://LynBarRanch.com

5Underground dog fences Empty Re: Underground dog fences Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:25 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We did the petsafe wireless fence and it was a waste of time and money for us. We had a dog that just didn't care about the warning beep or anything and once they get past the line they're off. We do the training that their territory is about 6ft from the fence and gates not the fence! Dogs should not be jumping up on fences in my opinion. If you already have a horse fence I wouldn't spend more money and time on an underground. We run a wire about 10 inches or so off the ground because our dogs are large and it keeps them from trying to go under and we run one along the top of our fence to keep them from walking over in winter.

i believe the same thing as auntieevil and pups are much safer at home and keeps wandering dogs out! A wireless won't keep rotten wandering dogs out

6Underground dog fences Empty Re: Underground dog fences Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:19 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Yes, that is what I am think ing of bc boy.

I am afraid oaf investing all the money only to find the dog ignores the fence. I have three dogs, only the Pyrenese goes to the road, but then he is just a pup (10 months). The border collie did it a few times too when he was younger.

Part of the problem is is that we have nearly 40 acres and the whole pont of getting the our was to keep cootes away. A buried wire all around the property sounds expensive...

7Underground dog fences Empty Re: Underground dog fences Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:26 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

If you are talking about the electric fences that work with a collar, i wouldn't watse my money on it. The dog will "take" the shock if they are interested in something enough. We walked our heeler on a road, and a great dane was in a yard with the underground fence. We saw him hesitate, then just go for it; he ripped into the back end of our dog and a huge dog fight ensued. Very scarey, and very unreliable.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum