Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Defective chicken

+3
Fowler
smokyriver
coopslave
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Defective chicken Empty Defective chicken Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:37 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Defective chicken is defective.

2Defective chicken Empty Re: Defective chicken Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:47 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Haven't you seen them before? Merechook! Wink

3Defective chicken Empty Re: Defective chicken Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:48 pm

coopslave wrote:Haven't you seen them before? Merechook! Wink

-wut- I so have not seen these before. I was trying to look up chickens with the penguin patterning I ended up with and found that!

4Defective chicken Empty Re: Defective chicken Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:52 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweetened wrote:

-wut- I so have not seen these before. I was trying to look up chickens with the penguin patterning I ended up with and found that!

Sorry Sweetened, I was being sarcastic and a bit of a smart a**. I haven't seen them before either, but they look like the chook version of a merecat. Kinda cute.

The penguin marked chick down is usually a black mature chook. In Marans case, a Black Copper is also a penguin marked chick down.

5Defective chicken Empty Re: Defective chicken Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:55 pm

coopslave wrote:
Sweetened wrote:

Sorry Sweetened, I was being sarcastic and a bit of a smart a**. I haven't seen them before either, but they look like the chook version of a merecat. Kinda cute.

The penguin marked chick down is usually a black mature chook. In Marans case, a Black Copper is also a penguin marked chick down.

Nooo this is different! He's fully feathered now. He was was penguin chick down, but he has a white chest and a black body, 2 white feathers on the wings. He's nifty looking! Pictures later bahahaah. If he was another critter, I'd call him 'pied', but I dont think there's pied chickens (chicken pot pie excluded)

6Defective chicken Empty Re: Defective chicken Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:01 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sounds interesting Sweetened. I would love to see pictures. Remember they go through and adolescent to adult molt too. He may still change. Like I say, would love to see pictures.
Does he stand like these ones????? Laughing

7Defective chicken Empty Re: Defective chicken Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:03 pm

coopslave wrote:Sounds interesting Sweetened. I would love to see pictures. Remember they go through and adolescent to adult molt too. He may still change. Like I say, would love to see pictures.
Does he stand like these ones????? Laughing

LOL no Sad Hilarity would ensue if he did! Yes, I often forget about that first and second molt. Will have to post pictures soon, maybe Higgins would know more after I post!

I think I might end up growing things out to see how they look LOL

8Defective chicken Empty Re: Defective chicken Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:05 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Actually growing them out and learning is the fun part. I think to many don't see it to the end. Just my thoughts.

9Defective chicken Empty Re: Defective chicken Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:11 pm

coopslave wrote:Actually growing them out and learning is the fun part. I think to many don't see it to the end. Just my thoughts.

I take the girls Im not interested in to auction, they pay for whatever I buy. The boys hit the freezer!

10Defective chicken Empty Re: Defective chicken Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:31 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I had a light Sussex/columbian cross chick that hatched healthy, and at about 2 months old started walking like these birds!! I have no idea why she did, but it made her an easy target for hen bullying!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

11Defective chicken Empty Re: Defective chicken Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:39 pm

smokyriver wrote:I had a light Sussex/columbian cross chick that hatched healthy, and at about 2 months old started walking like these birds!! I have no idea why she did, but it made her an easy target for hen bullying!

Did she have troubles laying her eggs with that positioning, or did she nest normally?

12Defective chicken Empty Re: Defective chicken Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:31 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

That's what happens when you keep your Runner Ducks with the chickens.

13Defective chicken Empty Re: Defective chicken Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:59 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Puleeeeze, is this a joke? I'm not kidding. Where did you come across this picture. It's not one yours is it? Ya, to me it looks like an Indian Runner cross with a chicken. Can you please tell me if this is a photoshopped bird or something. Or are you trying to tease us. Just like Shipperkesue teased me when she had a bunch of little bear cubs and they really were her own puppies. I think I am still going to that school of gullible, not sure though Laughing have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

14Defective chicken Empty Re: Defective chicken Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:04 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

My poor little girl only laid one egg, the other issue with them when they are like that is if a rooster try's to do his thing he knocks the poor thing over and they struggle to get back up. They cannot roost, which is what really made my little girl easy pickin for the weasel. I have no idea why she went that way, and I wish I knew as I honestly don't want another like her. It was too hard on her to do something as simple as eating and drinking because they do not have the proper range of mobility!!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

15Defective chicken Empty Re: Defective chicken Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:17 am

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Sweetened wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Defective chicken is defective.

In the bottom left picture I love how this chicken is looking out at the water in a pensive way. Considering all the strangeness in life and wondering if she could get a chicken blazer made...

16Defective chicken Empty Re: Defective chicken Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:50 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Maybe they all do this when we're not looking.

Did a bit of searching. sounds like this stance can be caused by a number of things. Egg bound, impacted, worms, infection. Basically they all sound like abdominal discomfort that would maybe feel better when the bird stand like that.

17Defective chicken Empty Re: Defective chicken Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:55 am

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

18Defective chicken Empty Re: Defective chicken Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:55 am

LOL!!!

19Defective chicken Empty Re: Defective chicken Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:37 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

You know, sounds silly, but I would love to buy him from you. Would pay a decent price too. If it's not a joke, lol.

20Defective chicken Empty Re: Defective chicken Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:14 am

For the record, this is not my chicken. This is what you get when you look up chicken with black and white markings penguin LOL

21Defective chicken Empty Re: Defective chicken Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:34 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I definately feel pretty stupid, that will teach me to "read" first. lol!

Thanks for the heads up. lol!

22Defective chicken Empty Re: Defective chicken Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:30 pm

boothcreek

Any breed that comes in Mottled will be penguin pattern as a juvenile, by the second molt the white face/chest/belly will disappear and they will start getting increasingly more mottled with every molt afterwards.

http://www.boothcreekranch.com

23Defective chicken Empty Re: Defective chicken Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:53 pm

boothcreek wrote:Any breed that comes in Mottled will be penguin pattern as a juvenile, by the second molt the white face/chest/belly will disappear and they will start getting increasingly more mottled with every molt afterwards.

That's interesting!! I was trying to figure that out since I ended up with a penguin chicken

24Defective chicken Empty Re: Defective chicken Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:01 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry, I am not getting it. Is this a joke? A photoshopped picture? Why? Sweetened, you said that you had one, do you? And what causes this if this is truly a form a chicken makes. I don't think it is funny.

I had a chicken, a gold laced wyandotte pullet, actually, that had become egg bound, and walked a little vertically, but not nearly as bad as the picture. The pullet passed the egg after a warm bath.

But. Getting back to this chicken. Anyone know what causes this, or is it a joke? Not getting it sorry, and as I said, I don't think this is funny. And I'm not having a bad morning, I just think this is bizzare!! Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

25Defective chicken Empty Re: Defective chicken Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:02 am

CynthiaM wrote:Sorry, I am not getting it. Is this a joke? A photoshopped picture? Why? Sweetened, you said that you had one, do you? And what causes this if this is truly a form a chicken makes. I don't think it is funny.

I had a chicken, a gold laced wyandotte pullet, actually, that had become egg bound, and walked a little vertically, but not nearly as bad as the picture. The pullet passed the egg after a warm bath.

But. Getting back to this chicken. Anyone know what causes this, or is it a joke? Not getting it sorry, and as I said, I don't think this is funny. And I'm not having a bad morning, I just think this is bizzare!! Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

No, the picture isn't photoshopped Miss Cynthia. I don't have one, I found this picture googling for the pnguin feathering I have on a chicken, feathering, not stance.

Fowler found an article that said it can be almost anything from egg bound, to pests, to abdominal defect.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum