Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

how long do they have to be together

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1how long do they have to be together Empty how long do they have to be together Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:49 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

HOw long do you have to leave the rooster and hen together (usually) to get fertilized eggs? When should the rooster be put back with the hen? or how long does each breeding last?
Thanks Geri

2how long do they have to be together Empty Re: how long do they have to be together Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:28 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I usually have my hens separated for 4 weeks before I start collecting eggs. The Cochin rooster we have only took a quick second today, but I'm sure you had a different time period in mind.

3how long do they have to be together Empty Re: how long do they have to be together Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:33 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

rosewood wrote:I usually have my hens separated for 4 weeks before I start collecting eggs. The Cochin rooster we have only took a quick second today, but I'm sure you had a different time period in mind.

So they are in with a rooster for 4 weeks then you collect eggs? HOw long will eggs be fertile from that one breeding by the cochin?

Geri

4how long do they have to be together Empty Re: how long do they have to be together Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:37 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Geri, if they have not been with a male at all, the eggs should be fertile by the next day. Some take a little longer, expecially if they are young. Takes them a while to figure out the whole process sometimes. I have seen some young cockerels trying to breed a pullets head! Laughing

I know people that only put the rooster in with the hen every three or four days. If you have more than one hen, make sure he has enough time to cover all the hens before you take him out.

As Rosewood said, if the hens have been in with another rooster it is best to wait around 4 weeks to get offspring of the new male.

5how long do they have to be together Empty Re: how long do they have to be together Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:44 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

coopslave wrote:Geri, if they have not been with a male at all, the eggs should be fertile by the next day. Some take a little longer, expecially if they are young. Takes them a while to figure out the whole process sometimes. I have seen some young cockerels trying to breed a pullets head! Laughing

I know people that only put the rooster in with the hen every three or four days. If you have more than one hen, make sure he has enough time to cover all the hens before you take him out.

As Rosewood said, if the hens have been in with another rooster it is best to wait around 4 weeks to get offspring of the new male.

Thanks for the answers

I just thought of something. My silkie hen laid 12 eggs and all were fertile so they lay fertile eggs once bred for at least 12 days at least in this case.

6how long do they have to be together Empty Re: how long do they have to be together Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:21 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

If I am switching Roos I give them a week. I have only had one crossbred chick doing this. I don't sell eggs so it is worth it and I am not wasting what may be a short laying period.

And that one crossbred...I still have her and she is my best layer, a cornish bantam, Ameraucana cross.

7how long do they have to be together Empty Re: how long do they have to be together Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:33 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Schipperkesue wrote:If I am switching Roos I give them a week. I have only had one crossbred chick doing this. I don't sell eggs so it is worth it and I am not wasting what may be a short laying period.

And that one crossbred...I still have her and she is my best layer, a cornish bantam, Ameraucana cross.

yeah but in the case of my silkie she was with the rooster a short time and laid fertile eggs until she went broody 12 days. How long are they fertile for 2 weeks 3 weeks ?

8how long do they have to be together Empty Re: how long do they have to be together Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:40 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Rasilon wrote:
Schipperkesue wrote:If I am switching Roos I give them a week. I have only had one crossbred chick doing this. I don't sell eggs so it is worth it and I am not wasting what may be a short laying period.

yeah but in the case of my silkie she was with the rooster a short time and laid fertile eggs until she went broody 12 days. How long are they fertile for 2 weeks 3 weeks ?

My theory- semen is predatory and the new and healthy semen hunts down and kills the old decrepit semen. And I am sticking to i!

9how long do they have to be together Empty Re: how long do they have to be together Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:41 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

With my present crew I kept finding Cornish roosters in with the Delawares. The Cornish can fly quite easily over a doorway that we left open to the ceiling. I'm waiting 4 weeks although only the Delaware rooster has been in with the Delawares.

10how long do they have to be together Empty Re: how long do they have to be together Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:28 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

rosewood wrote:With my present crew I kept finding Cornish roosters in with the Delawares. The Cornish can fly quite easily over a doorway that we left open to the ceiling. I'm waiting 4 weeks although only the Delaware rooster has been in with the Delawares.

Rosewood, that would be an interesting sexlinked cross. You should hatch a few eggs! Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum