Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Westminster Show dog Poisoned?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Westminster Show dog Poisoned? Empty Westminster Show dog Poisoned? Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:23 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

There are a couple of people who show dogs here so I thought this might be interesting.

Was it an accident? Taken out by a competitor? Statement by an animal rights group? Just some sicko? We may never know.

I know race horses have been killed before because there is big money involved. Can the dog competition really be this intense?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Westminster Show dog Poisoned? Empty Re: Westminster Show dog Poisoned? Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:46 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh, so much I can say...and you knew I would, didn't you, Fowler?

Westminster was the previous Monday and Tuesday. This dog died on the Saturday following, probably while attending the Colorado show. Most shows occur on a weekend. I doubt a poison administered on a Tuesday would affect a dog on Saturday. They didn't say but the dog in question probably showed in Colorado on Friday as well. If he was healthy enough to attend the show in Colorado, there were probably no symptoms until after he had shown the first day.

Debarking is a common procedure in the more vocal breeds. Many people raise dogs in the city and the noise of constant barking that is an aspect of some breeds does not endear yourself to the neighbours. A debark is less invasive than a spay. Debarked dogs can happily express themselves without the stress of constantly being told to shush.

As for the "really creepy world of dog shows", I guess creepiness is in the eye of the beholder. We breed our dogs to an SOP like all other purebred fanciers and most people involved that I know love the challenge of developing animals that conform to an SOP, the social aspects of a show, and the pride you take when the hard work you put into your dogs pays off.

I really feel for these people who have lost their beloved dog.

3Westminster Show dog Poisoned? Empty Re: Westminster Show dog Poisoned? Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Oh, so much I can say...and you knew I would, didn't you, Fowler?

Mwa ha ha

Interesting about the debarking. I'd never even heard of it before.

Heh, if they dog shows are creepy, they should hang out with us chicken people.

4Westminster Show dog Poisoned? Empty Re: Westminster Show dog Poisoned? Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:16 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good Post sue and I agree

The dog was shown at 2 of the 5 Colo. shows
but did not win at the ones he was shown at as I just checked the show results he was shown on the 14th and 15th of Feb, and they said died on the 16th
the abc site says this also
"according to Dr. Tony Johnson, a clinical assistant professor of emergency medicine at Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine, Cruz's symptoms of internal bleeding and eventual death could also be attributed to natural causes such as cancer.

"Two of the things that will cause bleeding in the abdomen are cancer and rat poisoning and people often attribute it to poisoning as opposed to cancer," he said. "We see a lot of dogs that have bleeding in their abdomen due to cancer so that is a possibility."
As for the Handler saying he will not show at westminster again I will have to see that to believe it as when a Handler goes there all the expanses are paid by the owners as well as money for showing the dog. I know what I use to make handling and I know They are making more now

5Westminster Show dog Poisoned? Empty Re: Westminster Show dog Poisoned? Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:47 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler wrote:Interesting about the debarking. I'd never even heard of it before..

There are several methods that vets use to debark. My Cattle Dog was a constant barker and we were in a small subdivision acreage. No one complained but I had him debarked. He had a high pitched, constant, never ending bark that even drove me crazy. His debark was done through his mouth. Many debarks are done with a surgical incision at the 'voice box' area. Apparently there is a method popular amongst US vets that is referred to as 'the punch'. I don't know about that method. After the debark it is imperative that the dog is kept silent so the healing can be done without scar tissue build up. I kept Duster sedated for a few days and when he healed he had a whisper bark. Very pleasant to listen to. He could still express himself well with his whisper bark. Right now I have a Schip up for showing from the states. He is also debarked. His bark is a little louder than Duster's was but out here he can bark all day to his heart's content without annoying anyone but me.

Samoyeds tend to be yappy by nature and are often debarked.

6Westminster Show dog Poisoned? Empty Re: Westminster Show dog Poisoned? Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:22 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Learning a surprising amount on this topic.

Boy, I used to have a rooster that could have used that debarking.

7Westminster Show dog Poisoned? Empty Re: Westminster Show dog Poisoned? Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:04 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler wrote:Learning a surprising amount on this topic.

Probably more than you want to know! You can see, though, why animal rights activists may be all up in arms about such a procedure.

8Westminster Show dog Poisoned? Empty Re: Westminster Show dog Poisoned? Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:35 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:

Probably more than you want to know! You can see, though, why animal rights activists may be all up in arms about such a procedure.

It certainly sounds invasive to the uninitiated.

Having heard of it now... I wonder that people haven't gotten this done on some family members...

9Westminster Show dog Poisoned? Empty Re: Westminster Show dog Poisoned? Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:09 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:

They are. That's how I first heard about debarking. Animal rights call it cruel and have lobbied in the US to have it banned.

I do believe in some animal rights, but I don't see debarking as one of them. I lived a good part of my life in the city, in apartments, and know many people who would love to have a small dog but can't due to possible noise complaints. I think having a dog debarked would save many apartment dogs from having to be given up to the shelter.

10Westminster Show dog Poisoned? Empty Re: Westminster Show dog Poisoned? Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:51 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

toybarons wrote:I think having a dog debarked would save many apartment dogs from having to be given up to the shelter.

Debarking also prevents a lot of dogs from being euthanized.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum