Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Would you do it?

+5
smokyriver
Schipperkesue
SerJay
heda gobbler
cuckoomama
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Would you do it? Empty Would you do it? Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:08 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have a chance to buy an adult pair of Pilgrim Geese. My friend Izayah says don't do it because it will cause a lot of grief in the barnyard with the ducks and chickens. He thinks that I should wait and either buy eggs or goslings that they will be easier to blend into the flock. These Pilgrims are lovely and not mean tempered, but they haven't bee around dogs and we have a wimpy, 12 year old Golden Retriever. Izayah says that one flap from a mad goose can break a dog's leg or for that matter, the leg of a child (I have no little kids but do have visitors). Any advice? Should I take the pair or wait for eggs or young?

2Would you do it? Empty Re: Would you do it? Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:20 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have two pairs of Shetland geese both bought as adults - I understand similar temperament to the Pilgrims - and once they were acclimatized to their pen I let them out and they have been nothing short of wonderful. I wish I had my camera today when they were cuddled up in the straw pile with the sows. They bother no one and no one bothers them except for my herding dog who occasionally feels they should go back in their pen - done very gently.

I also have two pairs of Toulouse geese, raised from gosings. They live with the turkeys and guinea fowl but have absolutely no interest in the other birds. They hiss at me a bit but I don't think it means a thing. I wag my finger at them and they back away.

My view? Bring them home, put them in 3 weeks' quarantine get to know them and then let them rock. I think you'll be pleased.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

3Would you do it? Empty Re: Would you do it? Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:41 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I agree with Heda Very Happy

4Would you do it? Empty Re: Would you do it? Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:48 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

If I were only allowed to keep one kind of poultry it would be my Toulouse Geese. They stand up for themselves, keep the predators away, and keep the weeds out of my grass. They also taught my Great Pyr the meaning of respect. Didn't break any legs, but when he got too rough they cornered him and pulled his hair. He treats all poultry with a different level of respect right now.

5Would you do it? Empty Re: Would you do it? Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:58 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I say bring them home!!!! I love my pilgrim pair. They are awesome with my other birds and only got upset with my ducks when my Muscovy drake decided he was going to establish his dominance!! Then it was a quick smack with their wings and everything was straightened out!!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

6Would you do it? Empty Re: Would you do it? Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:19 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

When opportunity knocks... IF it doesn't work out, you aren't beholden to keep them. I say go for it, as long, as everyone else has said, you have a separate place to keep them for a while. I think it sounds exciting.

7Would you do it? Empty Re: Would you do it? Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:52 am

vic's chicks

thanks for asking this question. I have just been emailed that a group in my neighbourhood is putting an order into performance poultry. I want to try pilgrims but I am scared. I have a lot of very young grandchildren. It is so good to hear that so many of you love them.

8Would you do it? Empty Re: Would you do it? Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:09 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

The only problem Vic will be your grandchildren squashing them with love....

I can pick up all my geese, just have to be careful because their claws are quite sharp.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

9Would you do it? Empty Re: Would you do it? Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:22 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I've brought home 6 heavy breed geese as adults and not had any problems. Its usually the other way around with animals, the new comer is the one to get put in their place.

10Would you do it? Empty Re: Would you do it? Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:14 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have 6 children and my pilgrims are awesome with them. They have been raised with them, but I find pilgrims are fairly mild mannered!!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

11Would you do it? Empty Re: Would you do it? Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:54 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I love my pilgrims and never had a problem at all with the kids or visitors. The geese certainly let us know if there is anything they deem new or out of place in "their" territory especially overhead predators. During breeding season we place them in the garden area because they do get territorial and so they feel safer in there with their nests and there's now worry of them getting aggressive. Once they finish laying they are as calm as easy going as can be. We have far more trouble with rotten bantam roo and turkey tom. The geese patrol the property like busy body security guards and the way to a gooses heart is mmm broccoli LOL

12Would you do it? Empty Re: Would you do it? Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:03 am

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I 12th what everyone else has said. I bought adult sebastapols last fall and they have been fine. They are still scared of my dogs and run the other way. They live my other ducks and bantams chickens and there have been no issues.

The female is starting to lay and that was quite a spectical. I think I will also seperate them when she sitting so there are no issues but they have been fine.

Go for it!

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

13Would you do it? Empty Re: Would you do it? Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:43 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Thanks everyone. Pilgrims are something that I have always wanted since I was a kid. I am going to go for it. We are building a new coop with sections that will house chickens and ducks. I think perhaps I will put the geese in the old coop and yard. They will be safe and secure and after they finish laying they could choose to go into the new area if they wish. I am looking so forward to this pair....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum