Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Not knowing is killing me!

+2
heda gobbler
DCChick
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Not knowing is killing me! Empty Not knowing is killing me! Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:12 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

So this is my first year at breeding goats. My buck is young and I hope he was up to the job... By my calculations I should have kids arriving mid to late march, but waiting is hard for me.

I wish goats were like eggs and I could candle them!

Is there really no way to tell if I will be a goat mama? ( besides ultrasound. Can't justify paying for that just to satisfy my curiosity)

2Not knowing is killing me! Empty Re: Not knowing is killing me! Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:31 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I always wonder if you couldn't buy a preg test at the drug store and test the goat's urine. Why wouldn't it work?

Patience my friend, patience!!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

3Not knowing is killing me! Empty Re: Not knowing is killing me! Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:08 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

This is going to sound strange but look at the female part of the doe
You can usually tell by the shape of it
If it is loose and poofie it would 8 times out of 10 mean bred if it is small and tight it most of the times means no
It is hard to really explain but if you start really looking at the hind ends it will help
also if they are due in march they should be starting to get bellie's or even start getting small bags
Hope this helps
It is how I always figured if mine were bred

4Not knowing is killing me! Empty Re: Not knowing is killing me! Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:53 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

appway wrote:This is going to sound strange but look at the female part of the doe
You can usually tell by the shape of it
If it is loose and poofie it would 8 times out of 10 mean bred if it is small and tight it most of the times means no
It is hard to really explain but if you start really looking at the hind ends it will help
also if they are due in march they should be starting to get bellie's or even start getting small bags
Hope this helps
It is how I always figured if mine were bred

I agree..you should be able to tell if they are bred by their bellies...you should see some girth there..and the back end will be fuller; as they are close to birth their back ends will become redder/inflamed and very poochy.. Bags will start to develop the last week or more; becoming very prominant the day before birth

5Not knowing is killing me! Empty Re: Not knowing is killing me! Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:20 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

DCChick wrote:
I wish goats were like eggs and I could candle them!)

Hmm....got this really strange visual now...

6Not knowing is killing me! Empty Re: Not knowing is killing me! Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:45 pm

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

We had a buck only about 2 months old get one of our goats pregnant last year. Oops!

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum