Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Disinfecting coups for new chicks...

+4
authenticfarm
uno
smokyriver
the.ewerts
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Disinfecting coups for new chicks... Empty Disinfecting coups for new chicks... Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:52 pm

the.ewerts

the.ewerts
New Here

Just wondering what the best way to go about cleaning our coups out for a batch of chicks is...do I just go buy the disinfecting product from the farm store, use bleach or is there a better way...I like to do things the most natural way possible...but these chicks are coming from the states so I'm trying to be extra careful...

2Disinfecting coups for new chicks... Empty Re: Disinfecting coups for new chicks... Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:55 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

We always used creolin (not sure in spelling). Diluted we would use a garden sprayer and spray the whole building, let it dry out for a couple days, put out bedding in and let it dry again a couple days before we put the new chicks in!!

You can also use virkon or another disinfectant also.

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

3Disinfecting coups for new chicks... Empty Re: Disinfecting coups for new chicks... Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:49 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I never disinfect. Ever. I figure that chicks treated like they are made of fine china are likely to grow up to be delicate, susceptible and not tough.

I make every effort to give them warm, draft free place to live. I sweep out old bedding and add new. I dust if the place is dusty (my hen house is always dusty!)Clean water, good food, room to get in and out of the heat as they feel the need. But beyond that, those chicks will have to live in the environment that I have, so they better find a way to deal with the various bugs and germs they might encounter.

It's one thing if you have had a known disease sweep through your flock and kill everyone. Then you definitely have to disinfect. But if that is not the case, you might consider that chicks are not as delicate as we are often lead to believe. That a good shovelling, sweeping and airing out, fresh bedding and warmth might be all you need to worry about. Good luck with whatever you decide.

4Disinfecting coups for new chicks... Empty Re: Disinfecting coups for new chicks... Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:53 pm

the.ewerts

the.ewerts
New Here

No I appreciate that...it is pretty much my thoughts Smile so thanks for the honesty!

5Disinfecting coups for new chicks... Empty Re: Disinfecting coups for new chicks... Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:24 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Virkon is a pretty common disinfectant for all barn-related things. It's pretty cheap, comes in little pouches that you mix with water, and should be available at your local UFA or feed store.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

6Disinfecting coups for new chicks... Empty Re: Disinfecting coups for new chicks... Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:38 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

ditto what uno said. I try to stay away from chemicals and there is actually good bugs for the chicks to find from the previous birds not just diseases. If you haven't had a break out you should be fine with a good cleaning, airing out and fresh bedding. I always wash waterers and feeders though.

7Disinfecting coups for new chicks... Empty Re: Disinfecting coups for new chicks... Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:51 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Absolutely bang on Uno. I would never in a million years disinfect any coop to put new chicks in. UNLESS, I had a horrible disease that might kill them all. There are exceptions to that rule. I don't even disinfect the water fonts that I give to new chicks. They sit on the shelves in my chicken coop, are full of dusty stuff, I blow the dust off, give them a quick rinse with the hose, dry and into the chick area they go. I do not believe in being too clean. Others may, and nothing wrong with that, absolutely nothing wrong, to each his own way. I am just too lazy and don't worry about things like that. All new chicks have clean bedding and a nice warm place to grow in. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

8Disinfecting coups for new chicks... Empty Re: Disinfecting coups for new chicks... Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:52 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree, no disinfectant, except for feeders and waterers at the introduction of new chicks, just rinsing after that.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

9Disinfecting coups for new chicks... Empty Re: Disinfecting coups for new chicks... Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:45 pm

Again, I agree with Uno (we're on an agreement role, Uno!).

If you're worried about succeptibility to cocci overpopulation, supplement their water with whey for a probiotic boost. that's about as far as it'll go for me.

10Disinfecting coups for new chicks... Empty Re: Disinfecting coups for new chicks... Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:34 pm

the.ewerts

the.ewerts
New Here

whey...that is helpful, I love natural health information...thanks everyone!!

11Disinfecting coups for new chicks... Empty Re: Disinfecting coups for new chicks... Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:15 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ya, so getting back to whey. I went and got two big pails of it from the Armstrong cheese factory. Do you think my chickens will drink that stuff, nope. Brats. Maybe if I just put a cup into their drinking water they will have no choice, smiling that evil smile. What's with them anyways, it tasted pretty good to me...gonna see if my dogs like it, think it would do us all good. Do humans drink whey? Oops, sorry off topic, really am, but just can't help myself. Going to the whey thread now Rolling Eyes have a wonderful and awesome day, CynthiaM.

12Disinfecting coups for new chicks... Empty Re: Disinfecting coups for new chicks... Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:14 am

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Sweetened wrote:Again, I agree with Uno (we're on an agreement role, Uno!).

If you're worried about succeptibility to cocci overpopulation, supplement their water with whey for a probiotic boost. that's about as far as it'll go for me.

Also, apple cider vinegar!

http://countrythyme.ca

13Disinfecting coups for new chicks... Empty Re: Disinfecting coups for new chicks... Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:15 am

Country Thyme Farm wrote:
Sweetened wrote:Again, I agree with Uno (we're on an agreement role, Uno!).

Also, apple cider vinegar!
*Thumbs up*

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum