Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The heart's a-pumpin this morning!

+2
triplejfarms
BriarwoodPoultry
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The heart's a-pumpin this morning!  Empty The heart's a-pumpin this morning! Mon May 16, 2011 11:47 am

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I hadn't even got my morning coffee yet when my mom started screaming at the patio door - a quick glance out - a huge bald eagle not 3 feet from our deck and heading towards the chicken pen. Thankfully, my dog the dobie was already ready to be let out of the house, her and I ran out to the chicken coop, both of us barefoot and running for all we were worth. We got there just in time to see Mr. Lavender Roo sqwack the alarm and everyone made it to safety. The dog and I kept up surveillance for a bit longer, but the eagle is gone - for now.

Hm. What's the rule about shooting eagles? Does it count if the dog gets it? Scary morning, my heart is still racing!

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

2The heart's a-pumpin this morning!  Empty Re: The heart's a-pumpin this morning! Mon May 16, 2011 11:56 am

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

yikes! glad you made it on time!...scary! i just love bald eagles as we dont see them much here, but i bet they can be scary if you have poultry ect there you have lots!

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

3The heart's a-pumpin this morning!  Empty Re: The heart's a-pumpin this morning! Mon May 16, 2011 12:07 pm

honeybrook

honeybrook

not sure about were you are but here if a preditor is attacking our livestock we can shoot them, but you could us the three " S " rule to solve your problem. Very Happy

http://www.honeybrooklowlines.com

4The heart's a-pumpin this morning!  Empty Re: The heart's a-pumpin this morning! Mon May 16, 2011 12:36 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Last year I was getting kind of tired of the crows hanging around our place. There is a dump not too many miles away (as the crow flies hee hee) and I didn't want to have too many or a 'Murder of Crows' would have taken on a whole new meaning.

Then I saw a pair of Bald Eagles do a low fly over checking out the chickens. The crows who were, by then, nesting nearby were suddenly on them like flying pitbulls. Those eagles weren't long getting their butts out of there!

Now I love my crows. I throw old eggs out into the field area for them to make sure they hang around(do it early in the day so they are sure to have them cleaned up by nightfall, still don't love raccoons or foxes).

Hawks, eagles, ravens, the crows see them all off.

5The heart's a-pumpin this morning!  Empty Re: The heart's a-pumpin this morning! Mon May 16, 2011 9:53 pm

I find it so strange that crows sttach chickens , Eagles yes , Hawks yes .Crows will pester a larger rapter , but a red winged blackbird will torment a crow till it lands and will keep it there ? strange how it all works .But I do believe in the three "S" rule myself, takes all of the guess work out of a problem .We have so many Baldies here that we see the regulary ...........almost a pest !

6The heart's a-pumpin this morning!  Empty Re: The heart's a-pumpin this morning! Mon May 16, 2011 10:31 pm

Giddyup

Giddyup

Yikes! Pretty sure you can't shoot them here...but...dogs are a different story. Glad the alarm was sounded!

7The heart's a-pumpin this morning!  Empty Re: The heart's a-pumpin this morning! Tue May 17, 2011 7:52 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

OMGosh, that would scare the heck out of anyone!! Never thought about a Bald Eagle taking birds, but guess if they take fish they would also eat chicken.
Isn't it amazing how that head roo will warn everyone and they all run for cover.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum