Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sexing peachicks

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sexing peachicks Empty Sexing peachicks Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:04 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

My peahen hatched four chicks at the end of August so they are coming up on six months old now. I lost two of them in a snow storm Sad and have two left.

Now I am wondering if they are boys or girls. At what age can you tell?? How can you tell??

I will try to get pictures tomorrow.

2Sexing peachicks Empty Re: Sexing peachicks Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:14 pm

Grandma Art

Grandma Art

I dont know anything about peachicks... but I have 4 that hatched late last summer,
and only one of them is " strutting " just like Dad..... I am thinking a cock???? Question
strutting with no train ...... gotta laugh!

Last edited by Grandma Art on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add the last sentence . I just had to.)

http://www.sheltiesalberta.com

3Sexing peachicks Empty Re: Sexing peachicks Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:53 am

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

The strut was the main reason I originally thought my hen was male! She use to do it all the time.

I have to say that she is an amazing mother though. She still takes her babies around and snuggles them at night even though they are nearly as big as her.

Last edited by DCChick on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:55 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Can't type ...)

4Sexing peachicks Empty Re: Sexing peachicks Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:00 am

Grandma Art

Grandma Art

my peahen raised a turkey last year.... now she goes and visits the " turkey " pen where her baby is..... this year I will let her raise her own babies. Nature is so caring.....

but hopefully someone will help with the sexing question. I remember my hen used to strut when she was all by herself. Her train just never grew. Now I have babies to compare, I would like to know what to look for.

http://www.sheltiesalberta.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum