Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Roo what am I?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Roo what am I? Empty Roo what am I? Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:55 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well we were sold this guy as a couple day old chick and told he was danish brown leghorn.....
Roo what am I? DSC07496
Roo what am I? DSC07492
Does he look leghornish LOL Don't much care about colours as we aren't selling any chicks but my son has exchequer hens and no roo. If he's actually leghornish I'd like to refresh sons coop with chicks for some more egg layers. His hens are all getting older and feed hasn't gone down but our egg production is not good No

So leghorn or no leghorn

Oh should say in the pic he was only about 4.5mnths old

2Roo what am I? Empty Re: Roo what am I? Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:23 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

He is the male resulting from the red production laying hens you see around. They go by a few different names. No reason you shouldn't use him to make some chicks of your own, he should pass on some good laying genes.

3Roo what am I? Empty Re: Roo what am I? Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:29 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

He's small (leghorn size), makes party rock roos look huge but he's bigger than the Old English roo we had. He's definately not size or shape of my sons RIR hens or Miller brown leghorn (basically ISA) and he does fly quite well

4Roo what am I? Empty Re: Roo what am I? Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:32 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Perhaps I'll see if my son can get him out with his other roos so his size and shape can be seen better. It's hard to tell when sitting on a post Laughing

It just rarely stays still so I have very few pics of it

5Roo what am I? Empty Re: Roo what am I? Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:38 am

He's lovely. I love mutt birds.

6Roo what am I? Empty Re: Roo what am I? Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:39 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

SerJay wrote:He's small (leghorn size), makes party rock roos look huge but he's bigger than the Old English roo we had. He's definately not size or shape of my sons RIR hens or Miller brown leghorn (basically ISA) and he does fly quite well

It all depends on what birds they used in their ingredients for the 'breed' they are selling. I bet the male was Brown Leghorn, the females could have been any number of other breeds.

7Roo what am I? Empty Re: Roo what am I? Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:08 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweetened wrote:He's lovely. I love mutt birds.

So do I. They can be such handsome, healthy birds.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum