Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lets get an EGGucation

+2
uno
Ruffledfeathers
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Lets get an EGGucation Empty Lets get an EGGucation Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:00 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

In the spirit of mostly likely being under educated about terms. Lets get some POV's on the definitions of,

Free Range
Free run
Organic
Farm fresh
Natural

Now I know that some may find this painful but there are some who could or would like to know how others look at it.
I'm not a real fan of labelling but I do find myself saying some of these phrases. Organic is NOT my favorite word. I would venture as far to say I detest this word.
These are the go to words of marketing trolls.

2Lets get an EGGucation Empty Re: Lets get an EGGucation Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:14 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Free Range - Crown land you graze rent free

Free Run - doing chores without your bra on

Organic - wrapped in brown paper, not plastic

Farm Fresh - the twang of manure just after it's plopped

Natural - birth and death and everything inbetween

3Lets get an EGGucation Empty Re: Lets get an EGGucation Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:27 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

HA HA HA

Awesome Uno!!

LOVED IT, I'm still laughing.

Thank you

4Lets get an EGGucation Empty Re: Lets get an EGGucation Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:29 pm

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

Well, thread closed, Uno's pretty much said everything there is to say!

IMHO:
Free Range: No fencing, survival of the fittest
Free Run: Fenced runs with reasonable numbers of birds in the space, pen contains grass
Organic: No syntheticly produced chemical additives, herbicides or pesticides. Hormone and antibiotic free. Raised eating stuff I can pronounce, in varried and reasonable quantities!
Natural: Should be a source found in nature with no human alteration (in reference to feed). This is a term Im warry of when used on commercial products. Big buisness has realised the marketing advantage of stamping this word on their products.

5Lets get an EGGucation Empty Re: Lets get an EGGucation Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:33 pm

uno wrote:Free Range - Crown land you graze rent free

Free Run - doing chores without your bra on

Organic - wrapped in brown paper, not plastic

Farm Fresh - the twang of manure just after it's plopped

Natural - birth and death and everything inbetween

LOLOL - Here's mine, less humorous, equally honest.

Free Range - Out and about on the open plane, this can mean in a tractor or willy nilly. Free Range insinuates the change of pasture and maintenance of constant greens.

Free run - Big ag means birds bunched so tightly together on the floor they can't move, laying in their own excriment. For me it means winter locked in the coop, able to fly about, lay eggs, eat and drink water freely. The ability to scratch the ground and climb the tree limbs to rest in front of the south-facing window.

Organic - Adheres to a stringent routine and custom feed in order to verify organic contents -- likely can't live between canola fields like I do either Very Happy

Farm fresh - Raised, plucked and harvested from a small acreage/hobby farm. Maybe even a bigger one, however animals are kept in 'idealistic' conditions and not overcrowded.

Natural - Probably a lot like me -- somewhere where organic is nearly impossible, feeding feedstore feed. However, anti-biotic and direct-chemical free (ie, I didn't spray them but the fields may have some blown over residue on the grass). Unconventional cures to treat the ill.

6Lets get an EGGucation Empty Re: Lets get an EGGucation Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:54 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I thought you might be interested in the definitions according to the BC Chicken Marketing Board as follows:
Free Run
Free Run means that a bird is able to move freely throughout a barn and is not confined in a cage. All chickens grown in Canada for meat purposes are free run.

Free Range
Free Range means that a bird has access to the outdoors. Due to the weather in Canada, the free range season is short.

Organic
Organic chickens are birds raised using certified organic feed and fresh, untreated drinking water. The Certified Organics Association of BC (COABC) also requires growers to allow their birds access to pesticide free pasture for a minimum of 6 hours a day, weather permitting. These chickens may have started out as conventional chicks. A list of all certified organic producers can be found on the COABC website at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

7Lets get an EGGucation Empty Re: Lets get an EGGucation Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:56 pm

rosewood wrote:I thought you might be interested in the definitions according to the BC Chicken Marketing Board as follows:

Free Range
Free Range means that a bird has access to the outdoors. Due to the weather in Canada, the free range season is short.

I've read that that can mean a small pop door only very very small birds can get through counts as "access"

8Lets get an EGGucation Empty Re: Lets get an EGGucation Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:20 pm

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The bias is obvious, but the facts are pretty accurate.

http://countrythyme.ca

9Lets get an EGGucation Empty Re: Lets get an EGGucation Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:34 pm

Keibler77

Keibler77

Sitting up on my side of the bed...DH sound asleep and snoring loudly (I'm an insomniac). Read Uno's straight up answer...laughed out loud...too loud. Couldn't help it! Hubby wakes up...asks what the heck could possibly be so funny (in his grumpy thanks-for-waking-me voice). He reads the post...laughs out loud. Then rolls over and promptly falls back to sleep. Dang I wish I could do that!

Thanks Uno...I needed that Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum