Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Look out Alberta, here it comes.

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Look out Alberta, here it comes. Empty Look out Alberta, here it comes. Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:41 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Woke up to -25C this morning. I knew last night it was going to be cold, and restrawed the dogs and got fresh water to all the birds. I didn't think we would be quite THIS cold. It was -12C when I went to bed and I thought it might get done to -15C. Surprise!

It is going to be a beautiful, sunny day when the sun finally makes it over the mountain. Not sure if I like paying this price to see the sun. I think it is supposed to be like this for a few night.

Haven't been out to see the birds yet, but hubby walked by the dogs this morning and said they were all bundled up in their straw caves. Only see the tips of their ears and eyeballs. Laughing

We usually send our weather out your way AB and it often builds momentum over the big rocks. Hope it doesn't hit you to hard!

2Look out Alberta, here it comes. Empty Re: Look out Alberta, here it comes. Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:49 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

We were -28 yesterday, -18 the day before-8 the day before that and today we are -18 again. Supposed to warm up if the forecast doesn't change.

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

3Look out Alberta, here it comes. Empty Re: Look out Alberta, here it comes. Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:54 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Same temperature here - minus 25C at daybreak - would have been colder but there was low cloud (fog? what's the difference?) blanketing us so this morning everything is covered in hoar frost, very pretty! I have the clothing for it and once the sun hits it will be magical and quite pleasant, probably -16C. After years in Toronto, London, and various other places I'd much rather have cold and sunshine than endless wet mild grey, hands down.

Finally after 8 years I am all set up for cold weather watering (if I keep on top of it) and cold weather machinery and none of the animals worry me except maybe my old arab horse who should get a little extra special geriatric feed. As long as it is dry I won't blanket him. The ponies rip his blanket to pieces but he hates being taken away from his company!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

4Look out Alberta, here it comes. Empty Re: Look out Alberta, here it comes. Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:12 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

The forecast for Tuesday is +6! Nanny nanny, boo, boo on you, Coopie!

5Look out Alberta, here it comes. Empty Re: Look out Alberta, here it comes. Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:25 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sue!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You just jinxed it! Lol

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

6Look out Alberta, here it comes. Empty Re: Look out Alberta, here it comes. Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:30 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hedda, hoar frost is beautiful, some photos would be nice.

Sue, just you wait, they only forcast a low of -12C here. I may be nanny nanny boo booing back at you!

I hope not actually, you guys have had enough cold weather and we haven't really, YET. It is still to come I am afraid. February can be cold here and we an not through January yet. Right in the middle of calving now with the heifers and commercial cows and the purebred cows start around the 20th. That is usually when we get the real cold, when we have all sorts of new calves on the ground.

7Look out Alberta, here it comes. Empty Re: Look out Alberta, here it comes. Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:40 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

smokyriver wrote: Supposed to warm up if the forecast doesn't change.

You jinxed it first, little Ms. Smokey!

Yes, we had our share of cold over Christmas. My coops are unheated and I always brace myself to lose a few birds, especially if some are a little compromised already. But this last snap was not too bad.

It is sunny today so I think I shall take a few pictures.

8Look out Alberta, here it comes. Empty Re: Look out Alberta, here it comes. Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:40 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Whoo hoo, the sun just broke over the mountains and it feels WONDERFUL!

9Look out Alberta, here it comes. Empty Re: Look out Alberta, here it comes. Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:03 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I took my camera out with me but I was on the tractor (no cab) feeding when the sun finally broke through the fog so no photos. It was incredible. Everything is covered with a sheet of ice except, fortunately, the ground, where we still have 2 feet of powder snow.

January is usually a series of thaws and freezes so the whole valley turns to ice. Just as glad to miss that thus far.

March is often our coldest month. Just as our sows start farrowing.

And yes, the forecast is for +4C on Tuesday.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

10Look out Alberta, here it comes. Empty Re: Look out Alberta, here it comes. Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:56 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I can provide a picture of our Christmas card type winter. I was surprized with the cold this morning. All the waterers were frozen and so was the outside tap.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum