Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hello, is this the petting zoo?

+13
Hillbilly
KendraG
coopslave
CynthiaM
Ruffledfeathers
Fowler
vic's chicks
Schipperkesue
ipf
Critter Haven Farm
happychicks
bcboy
uno
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Hello, is this the petting zoo? Empty Hello, is this the petting zoo? Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:55 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

THis is a rant in which my crabby nature will reveal itself. But good Gordon, what a high stress event for me!

People drop in, unannounced and bring their 3 kids along, with snow sliding devices in tow.
"Hi!" they say at the door just as I was about to head to town for groceries. "The kids wanted a place to go sliding and we know you live on a mountainside." They say hopefully.

Well yes, I live on a mountainside, a heavily treed mountainside. Sliding here means a good downhill slope with an abrupt tree-to-the-face bout of traumatic head injury to boot. If you manage, somehow, to make it to the bottom without smacking your noodle off a huge pine tree, then that broken down barbed wire fence will prevent you from crossing onto the neighbours property. It's like a crash safety net on a ski hill, only made of barbed wire.

When Horse Daughter was into sliding, many years ago, we did have one run, past the well and out into the driveway. But that was it. Since Horse Daughter is now into big trucks and boys, the toboggan run is no longer high priority. Hubby pushes a big snow bank against the bottom of it when he plows. So I tog up in snow boots and coat, plans to get to town put on hold, fetch a shovel and go out with the kids to hack a path through the frozen snow bank, plowed in place by truck and blade. One kid, without asking, grabs another shovel and brings it along. I hack through the frozen snow and instruct the kids where to slide, tell the other guy to lean his shovel up against this post when he is done,. Later I see it hurled mid-driveway, waiting to be flattened by a truck.

I go back to house where parents are cruising the livingroom for Christmas chocolates. Peevishly I hope no one has found my stash of Turtles. Just as we get seated at table I hear all hell break loose down at chicken pen. One child has rushed down there and cannot figure out how to open the door (thank Gordon!) but is running around the outside of the pen and the birds are freaking out! I have roosters and I know them and they know me and I still keep one eye peeled for stupid bird behaviour. I know for a fact that a strnager in the pen is fair game! What on earhth makes these kids think they are allowed to barge wherever they want without so much as a by-your-leave?!

I am still boggled over chicken pen when another pair of muddy, wet mitts are pounding on the glass of the door, smear, smear, smear. "Can we go in the horse pen?" HELLO!!! One parent smiles at me appealingly...can they?

Let's review the intelligence of this idea. A) your kids are city kids and not aware of the loaded end of a horse. While my horses will not kick me, I do not make it a habit to shriek, holler and dart mindlessly around behind them. And while we expect our horses to behave themselves, we also expect parents to safeguard their own, stupid children who have no clue about the vagaries of livestock! B) the baby horse, so cute, likes to bite. It is her idea of a contact sport. She does not bite me...but anyone else seems to be fair game. So let's see how happy your kids are when they are missing sections of their winter coats.

One horse went horribly lame on Christmas morning, of course. Her hind ankle is swelled and she does not want to put it on the ground. We suspect a sprain or perhaps upcoming abcess. Either way we have separated her and are taking pains to keep her from stressing the injury. What she does NOT need is 3 strange children shrieking and bouncing around her. I want this horse STILL, not trying to move away from the annoyance.

My thoughts were of the potential injury to children coupled with annoyacne and disturbance of my animals. The one brief moment of joy was when I pictured one of the little blighters coming in contanct with the electric fence, or as we call it, the yard tazer.

I am not a petting zoo. This property is not for the blundering adventures of unsupervised children. I cannot be in the house being a hostess AND supervise the safety of visiting children at the same time. We NEVER once in our lives took our daughter anywhere, to anyone's property and let her run around like a lunatic. We explained that farms are full of things that can hurt you! Farming is, as I understand it, one of the most hazardous ways to make a living. And while we are by no means a farm, there are things here that can go wrong if you don't have the sense Gordon gave a duck. Which these kids did not, and niehter did their parents!

No! This is NOT the petting zoo! And I am stressed to the max feeling very cornered when people drop in and create mayhem while smiling sweetly and waiting for me to make coffee and resuce my animals and their kids at the same time! Sheesh!

2Hello, is this the petting zoo? Empty Re: Hello, is this the petting zoo? Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:16 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Next time tell them that you are doing farm chores. Would you guy like to help me clean out the chicken coop litter? After that we will clean the horse stall and so on. cheers

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

3Hello, is this the petting zoo? Empty Re: Hello, is this the petting zoo? Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:25 pm

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Phew! How ridiculous was that!!! Obviously this family not only had NO understanding of farm animal, they also had NO understanding of decency and manners!! Should have charged them an entry fee along with "stress pay" for you. Mad

4Hello, is this the petting zoo? Empty Re: Hello, is this the petting zoo? Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:37 pm

Critter Haven Farm

Critter Haven Farm

!!!!!!!!!!

5Hello, is this the petting zoo? Empty Re: Hello, is this the petting zoo? Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:41 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Just related my day of trauma to HUbby who gave me a look and chastised me for being cranky when all these people wanted to do was visit. Why can't I just be a nice lady and bend over backwards to accomodate the random imposition of people who drop in and assume I have nothing better to do than cater to their needs and shovel, BY HAND toboggan paths for their children. Why can't I smile and cuckle as children terrorize my animals and leave gates open?

Duly noted. Next time this happens I will show children to where the very expensive snowmobiles and dirtbikes are parked and invite children to climb all over them at will, playing vroom vroom. GO ahead and twist knobs, pull levers, break small plastic pieces, knock yourself out, have fun! Will that make you happier, HUBBY?

Hubby will be going to bed without supper. Bed will be the sofa tonight! Mad

6Hello, is this the petting zoo? Empty Re: Hello, is this the petting zoo? Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:53 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

uno wrote:
Hubby will be going to bed without supper. Bed will be the sofa tonight! Mad
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Hell have no fury like a woman scorned. Laughing

Last edited by bcboy on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

7Hello, is this the petting zoo? Empty Re: Hello, is this the petting zoo? Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:18 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Doesn't it kinda depend on who these people were? Random strangers? Close rellies? distant but fond rellies? Distant and estranged rellies? Best friends? Old enemies trying to turn into friends? Old friends trying to turn into enemies? Next door neighbours? New neighbours? Well. . .

8Hello, is this the petting zoo? Empty Re: Hello, is this the petting zoo? Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:22 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't get this. Do you know these people, Uno, or are they just random strangers that showed up on your doorstep.

The liability alone that you may have incurred had there been an accident boggles the mind.

9Hello, is this the petting zoo? Empty Re: Hello, is this the petting zoo? Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:22 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hee hee...posted at the same time as you, IPF!

10Hello, is this the petting zoo? Empty Re: Hello, is this the petting zoo? Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:28 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

ipf...NO! It does NOT make a difference who these people are. I expect ALL PARENTS to supervise their own children at all times. It causes me untold stress to be sitting at my table yapping with anyone, even people I like, while I know children, uninvited ,are letting themselves into the hen house! Or into the horse pen. Or worse, letting horses OUT of the pen.

A phone call in advance might have been in order too. But boom, there they are, hi, we're here to have our boredom fixed by you. THey each had a cell phone in hand but for reasons unknown, were not able to give me 10 minutes of heads-up.

I know you are playing devil's advocate. For that I wish upon you a stranded busload of ADHD grade 2 students and a chaperone who is happy to sit, STUPIDLY while 35 little terrorists run amok in your flower beds. Twisted Evil

Sue: relatives.

11Hello, is this the petting zoo? Empty Re: Hello, is this the petting zoo? Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:38 pm

In a "" kind "' sort of way just say ......NO.....not today ! We have to help these kids as much as we can as that they are our future right ? If my son ever did anything remotely close to what you discribed ! well he knows better is all I'll say ,but just say NO ,no one gets hurt and if they respect a adults authority then they will listen

12Hello, is this the petting zoo? Empty Re: Hello, is this the petting zoo? Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:02 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ha ha! BC Boy, that is SO Mr. Uno tonight! Tell me I should smile and serve. HAH! Here's mud in your eye!

13Hello, is this the petting zoo? Empty Re: Hello, is this the petting zoo? Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:08 am

vic's chicks

It has been my experience that very few people teach children respect for animals. I have trouble with most kids when they are running around my property. They go into the chicken coop and stir everyone up and cause stress and chaos. It takes time to be with kids . To show them how to act around animals. It is really difficult to spend that time when you are trying to entertain people. It stresses me out as well when I am trying to play hostess to a bunch of people when half my mind is on wondering where the kids are and what they are getting into. We had to get rid of our best rooster because he started getting mean to the kids. It started right after my grand daughter was chasing the hens around trying to pick them up. My neighbours roosters both turned mean for the same reason and a friend of mine who just got chickens told me one of their roosters started attacking the kids. When they were over the other day their littlest guy started chasing my hens around(not for long!) I asked her if that happens alot. She said "as a matter of fact a he and a few of his friends were having a great time in the chicken coop the other day and it was just after that the rooster started attacking them". I have lots of rules about the type of behaviour I will allow with my chickens. You have my sympathy Uno

14Hello, is this the petting zoo? Empty Re: Hello, is this the petting zoo? Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:55 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dropping by unannounced is not OK no matter who it is. I have a close relative that likes to do this and it is extremely irritating. "Oh did you have plans? Not anymore! Bwa ha ha"

Been there done that with the people acting like your running a free zoo but that has all been strangers. You step out the door and there are people deep into your backyard looking and taking pictures. Fortunately, them being strangers, they were told to come and knock first next time. They seemed genuinely shocked that I didn't like finding strangers in my backyard.

Relatives does make it a bit more sensitive. I probably would have done something like;

"Sorry, you can't go see the chickens, the rooster is nasty. Good Lord no! That horse is even nastier than the rooster! You want to slide down the hill? Well OK but watch out for the cougar. People have been seeing one in the area and they think it took a German Shepherd just down the road..."

15Hello, is this the petting zoo? Empty Re: Hello, is this the petting zoo? Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:24 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well uno you have my hubbys sympathy as well as mine. Usually the hubby greets these unwanted vistors with "what the hell do you want!" I'm not kidding you either. Hes not a people person but still has great social skills scratch I am a firm believer of call 1st. No don't let your kids run amok on my property because somebody is gonna get hurt.I don't take my kids to your place and let them trash it! Why would you do this to me? I have developed a habit of telling people that these kids are a reflection of me affraid some get it others don't.

We personally would have said no, have plans today. Can't stop and chat now. And that would have been it. I am not saying that I never ever have company and we are total recluses but we have a life and 3 schedules. Its a juggling act I have little room to move.

Last but not least my home is my sanctuary. Very Happy

16Hello, is this the petting zoo? Empty Re: Hello, is this the petting zoo? Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:46 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh boy, I hear ya. Been there, done that, many times, too many to begin to speak to. But I will tell of a certain one, not that long ago. It must have been end of summer, early September, cause I remember I was out harvesting in the garden. I had a wheelbarrow full of stuff and I was walking to the driveway that will lead up to our home, alongside the riding area, alongside the chicken coops at the beginning of it. I could see a whole whack of my buff orpingtons running. What? How weird. They were all running to get into their little pop door. How many can fit through that teeny tiny door, amazing, but two can at a time. Chicken bodies are much more small than we give them credit for.

Hmmmm.....looked around. The chickens are not afraid of our 8 dogs. Well, not really afraid of ANY dogs, the dogs here actually don't mind the chickens at all and will lay there, and the chickens can all walk right by, but then I suppose that can be a problem, actually. But that was another story told, before.

So, what gives. Put down the handle of the wheelbarrow and have a look around the horses' paddocks. More birds running for their lives and two little kids running as fast as they can after them Shocked Rolling Eyes

As loud as I could yell, "hey" they stop cold and look at me, the birds still running for their life. Feathers all over. It was molting time anyways, but boy, feathers really fell out that day.

I walked over to the little boy and girl, Brother and Sister, children of a couple that were staying overnight, from some distance away, visiting Daughter and Son-in-Law. The parents were visiting on the deck at the house.

Probably sounded like a mean ol' woman, but I had to let things be known. I knew these children, had met them before. They are nice kids...just don't realize the implications when chickens are chased.

I sternly told them that if I ever saw them chasing my chickens that they would never be allowed to come over and visit here again, sigh. Don't like to put on my mean voice, but sometimes this is a very important thing.

I spent some time with the children. I explained what can happen to chickens when they are terrified. The kids did not know that the chickens could have adverse effects. They just thought it was so much fun to run after these blondies that tried to outrun them. I very nicely explained that when chickens get really scared that they may stop laying eggs. I also told them that chickens can get sick from being scared. I also explained to them that when they are being chased that they are very, very scared. The kids really did not understand before that the chickens were scared. it was fun, and kids love to run, I know that, we know that. I told them too, that chickens can have heart attacks from being too scared. I was very blatent, made the points come clear and these two siblings listened to me. They are nice children, never meant any harm. But they had to have these things told to them, how else would they know. Another thing that I explained to them was that the roosters take care of the hens. Sometimes a rooster could get angry at them and attack them if they feel like their hens are being attacked. I told them this was also another reason that they should not chase the chickens. Thank goodness for the boys that are not aggressive here. So, the children carried on their merry way, holding hands, the little girl takes wonderful care of her little Brother. That is a very pleasing thing to see. This was about dinnertime. Evening came and went.

Now during the nice temperature days, I spend a whole lotta time outside, all day long.

Next morning (there was an overnnight visit, obviously), the little boy and girl were out playing around the chicken's pens, playing in the sand in the arena. Just doing little kid things, nothing harmful. I let the chickens out for some free ranging and the chickens carried on as there was nothing array today. The little girl came over and asked if she could come in and see if the chickens had laid some eggs. I smiled. Of course, and in the chicken coop we went. The chickens were still laying a few eggs a day, not all were in the molt. There they were, four beautiful eggs. I could see this wave of relief that came over this little girl's face. I smiled too. I did explain to her though, that we were very lucky that these chickens did not get so scared that they really did stop laying. I was happy. This little girl was happy. She really never had a clue. And all the chickens came out of the house, not one had any detrimental effect from the scare of the day before. That was a good day, a day that made me happy. The children understood that bad things may happen when chickens are scared, but in this time, the chickens were all well. It made me feel bad in a way. I am sure that the little girl was worried all night long that something horrible may happen to the chickens. But then too, it gave her good fuel for thought. The little boy, well, he was only about 4, her I would say 8, he just didn't get it and carried on playing in the sand. Gads, shoulda started out as a simple comment, but as usual, rambled on and on Razz , such is life. Have a most awesome day, CynthiaM.

17Hello, is this the petting zoo? Empty Re: Hello, is this the petting zoo? Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:24 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

"Sorry, you can't go see the chickens, the rooster is nasty. Good Lord no! That horse is even nastier than the rooster! You want to slide down the hill? Well OK but watch out for the cougar. People have been seeing one in the area and they think it took a German Shepherd just down the road..."

I think Fowler nailed it. You will have to remember this for next time.

We have the same sort of troulbe, it is usually the boss bringing his family and friends around to see our dogs, chooks and horses. Drives me crazy to be on display for the city folk. Rolling Eyes

18Hello, is this the petting zoo? Empty Re: Hello, is this the petting zoo? Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:04 am

KendraG

KendraG

Putting aside, for the moment, the showing up unannounced, I believe I am most startled by the "let the children run wild while we have coffee" attitude. Sounds like the same sort of people who allow their children to terrorize a restaurant while they enjoy a nice meal.

We have Miniature Horses, so very often have people - relatives, neighbours, etc - calling to ask if they can bring their kids over to see the horses. We accommodate this by having several of them, with like aged children, come at once. We ALL go see the foals, then I catch a couple quiet geldings for the kids to lead, and jump if the kids are big enough, get Hawk to do his tricks, maybe, and when the grown ups start to look bored, my Gram tells the kids "There's cookies in the house!" and we ALL go in. No unsupervised children in our horse pastures.

What amazes me are the random emails I get from strangers, asking if they can come see the horses. "I know you're a private farm, and probably don't usually do this, but we wanted something fun to do with the kids." Subtext being "And we didn't want to pay to go to the real petting zoo."

I think you have every right to be irked, Uno!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

19Hello, is this the petting zoo? Empty Re: Hello, is this the petting zoo? Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:39 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We don't have troubles like that very often. The 3km of school bus losing sized potholes on our logging road keeps all cars away. But, when we do get the rare random visitor, the first visit is to the goat pen, with parents watching their kids get knocked around like bowling pins in a Saturday night beer league.
I then mention that the horses are 10X heavier than these little demons, and kick as well.
No random visits to horses follow.

20Hello, is this the petting zoo? Empty Re: Hello, is this the petting zoo? Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:58 am

There you go Uno - problem solved. Get some goats!

And from the "Birth Control should be free" files.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

21Hello, is this the petting zoo? Empty Re: Hello, is this the petting zoo? Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:13 pm

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

This will probably sound cruel, but I am so picky about the call first, that even my in-laws that live on the same farm as us have to call first, otherwise they dont get in. I had to fit with them alot in the beginning, but all I have ever asked for is 5 minutes notice. They now respect that. No other relatives live close enough to drop in. We have neighbors that come by, but most are either older people with no kids at home, or younger with out kids yet. I have a few that will bring their grandkids, nieces, nephews, but again, I always tell them they have to call first. I have no problem telling people "sorry, I am busy today, but here is our number, you are welcome to call us sometime so that we can make sure we are in the farm yard". I also installed a locking gate to keep those out when we arent in the farm yard. We have came home to people in our pastures, sitting on our porch, etc.

I so feel for you. I am just not as nice about the people that just drop by.

http://dtfarm.webs.com/

22Hello, is this the petting zoo? Empty Re: Hello, is this the petting zoo? Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:59 pm

foal0069

Maybe I'm an old meany too! If it had been me at the door when these folks showed up, I would have politely told them that I was just on my way out and so sorry they made the trip for nothing. I would have then suggested the next time they call first as I have limited time to get out and about as I have to look after my animals, so I schedule my time out. That is without letting them in the door. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

23Hello, is this the petting zoo? Empty Re: Hello, is this the petting zoo? Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:10 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

Most people know that I am usually home and will entertain them if needed. On the flip side they also know that I will treat their children as my own. My animals are special and have the right to not be disturbed unnecessarily. If their children disrupt my animals, they get a warning that their backsides are about to be disturbed this is done in front of the parents. Normally the parents step in and control their children. I have only had one case and it was my nephew and to this day I am the "meany" auntie that he prefers not to visit, and so be it as I had lost 6 chicks the day he visited to him running through my chick building and stepping on the poor things while his mom stood their and laughed. He got a warmed up bottom and was told to get out it sit down, and his mom was told she owed me $20,00 for my losses. I never got paid but when she does come for a visit she watches her din a lot closer and he knows to listen to auntie

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

24Hello, is this the petting zoo? Empty Re: Hello, is this the petting zoo? Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:41 pm

I think that some parents take there kids somewhere just so that they can get a break from them instead of takeing control of there behaviour !As I said I would not tolerate it with my own child never mind someone elses ,family or not ! We have apolicy here and the small people that come here understand it because we have explained it to them .....Nice to see ,Nice to hold ,but if you break it .....consider it sold ! And what we have for them to play with is what we have .........unless I want to go the extra mile and do something ,that's what you got to play with ! like it or not !

25Hello, is this the petting zoo? Empty Re: Hello, is this the petting zoo? Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:28 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

farmchiq wrote:There you go Uno - problem solved. Get some goats!

And from the "Birth Control should be free" files.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum