Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Splash Offspring

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Splash Offspring Empty Splash Offspring Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:48 pm

foal0069

If you breed a splash back to a black, what will the offspring look like?
I have cochins and marans that I have splash.
Thanks.

2Splash Offspring Empty Re: Splash Offspring Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:55 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

If you are just wondering about colour, a splash to a black will give you all blue offspring.

3Splash Offspring Empty Re: Splash Offspring Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:57 pm

foal0069

Thanks CS
Not what I wanted to hear but I do love the colour blue. Or maybe I will see how they lay when they get older.

4Splash Offspring Empty Re: Splash Offspring Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:51 am

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

foal0069 wrote:Thanks CS
Not what I wanted to hear but I do love the colour blue. Or maybe I will see how they lay when they get older.
what did you want to hear ?

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

5Splash Offspring Empty Re: Splash Offspring Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:22 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Piet wrote: what did you want to hear ?

That was funny Razz

Yep, black to splash that is what you get, blue. That is a very good thing for some people. Blue is a very desirable colour. I think I will have lots of blues this year, I have two black hens and a splash rooster. As well as a blue rooster and 4 blue hens. Think I will have lots of blues, and that thrills me!! Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

6Splash Offspring Empty Re: Splash Offspring Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:36 am

foal0069

I was hoping for some blacks out of that crossing. Lost my only black pullet the other day, went in and she was dead (not that I wanted any to die but it could have been my splash) I do like blues but wanted some blacks. santa

7Splash Offspring Empty Re: Splash Offspring Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:34 am

R. Roo

Last edited by R. Roo on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

8Splash Offspring Empty Re: Splash Offspring Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:35 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

R. Roo wrote:Does it depend which bird is black, the male or female?

No, it is purely a colour genetics thing.

9Splash Offspring Empty Re: Splash Offspring Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:36 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

foal0069 wrote:I was hoping for some blacks out of that crossing. Lost my only black pullet the other day, went in and she was dead (not that I wanted any to die but it could have been my splash) I do like blues but wanted some blacks. santa

You will have to wait another year to get your blacks. After you breed your splash to you blacks and get all blues, then the next season when you breed your blues together, you will get some black birds then.

10Splash Offspring Empty Re: Splash Offspring Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:10 am

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

coopslave wrote:
foal0069 wrote:I was hoping for some blacks out of that crossing. Lost my only black pullet the other day, went in and she was dead (not that I wanted any to die but it could have been my splash) I do like blues but wanted some blacks. santa

You will have to wait another year to get your blacks. After you breed your splash to you blacks and get all blues, then the next season when you breed your blues together, you will get some black birds then.
thats right and this is why i asked what you wanted for colour. , you can still make black. Just have to wait for the f2 generation and the black will show. If you breed the black roo back to the blue pullets, you will get more blacks than if you breed the blues together.

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

11Splash Offspring Empty Re: Splash Offspring Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:15 pm

R. Roo

Last edited by R. Roo on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

12Splash Offspring Empty Re: Splash Offspring Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:41 pm

foal0069

Thanks all & Merry Christmas.
I have to run as we are eating dinner at 5 pm and it's 3:40 here already. santa

13Splash Offspring Empty Re: Splash Offspring Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:29 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

R. Roo wrote:Is it true that pure blacks and whites can be crossed up into splash's and blues and can be easily bred back to their pure white and black origins?

Yes, it should work. I don't have a lot of experience with white, remember it can cover many things. You can have some red hiding in there that you do not want in your blues and blacks. Best way is to do some test matings. I have hear about some people in Aus using splash to help clean up white, but I am not sure about it.

There are others that say the quality of a black produced from blue is not as good either. You will get lots of different opinions about this.

Remember recessive white is what covers up other colours and dominant white only covers black. Dominant white will show red through, especially in the cockerels who will show it on their shoulders. I am familiar with the colour being called Jubilee, not sure what it would be called here. I would have to crack a book to be more helpful than that. I can only retain so much and usually only study what is interesting me at the moment. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum