Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Marans! From the beggining of time.

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Marans! From the beggining of time. Empty Marans! From the beggining of time. Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:15 pm

fergy623

fergy623
New Here

I am trying to dig up info on the Pure black Marans. I read the Hierarchy of all Maran chickens. Dated back yo the late 1800,s the black maran was becoming extinct. how many of them are being raised today? I have some cuckoos and they some how dropped me 12 Black marans this past summer. I have raised them to 5 months now and wonder if I can find a Rooster to mate with them.
Does anyone have the same experiences I am going through? or should I post Rooster wanted. Must be a pure breed Black Maran

Any input is accepted Smile

2Marans! From the beggining of time. Empty Re: Marans! From the beggining of time. Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:22 pm

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

https://wcps.canadian-forum.com/t537-for-those-who-own-and-breed-the-marans?highlight=Marans Was a post i made a while ago. It is always best to go deep down to the true origin of the breed for information. If you know french then even better. It is a fairly new breed to North America, but there is an abundance of them around it seems..

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

3Marans! From the beggining of time. Empty Re: Marans! From the beggining of time. Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:38 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

fergy623 wrote:I am trying to dig up info on the Pure black Marans. I read the Hierarchy of all Maran chickens. Dated back yo the late 1800,s the black maran was becoming extinct. how many of them are being raised today? I have some cuckoos and they some how dropped me 12 Black marans this past summer. I have raised them to 5 months now and wonder if I can find a Rooster to mate with them.
Does anyone have the same experiences I am going through? or should I post Rooster wanted. Must be a pure breed Black Maran

Any input is accepted Smile

Are all 12, hens? If not use your own black roo. One generation of in breeding should not yield two headed chickens.

4Marans! From the beggining of time. Empty re Marans from Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:00 pm

fergy623

fergy623
New Here

yes all of them are hens. But I am learning I can use even a darker Maran Roo to produce more black Marans. I just have to cull all the colored ones out and aim for the feathers dark shanks to improve this breed. I may be wrong tho, the info varies across the globe

5Marans! From the beggining of time. Empty Re: Marans! From the beggining of time. Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:12 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

All hens! Being lucky is not so lucky, eh? Do you have just one rooster? I would breed them back to their father.

6Marans! From the beggining of time. Empty some sites Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:30 am

niglefritz

fergy623

fergy623
New Here

Schipperkesue wrote:All hens! Being lucky is not so lucky, eh? Do you have just one rooster? I would breed them back to their father.

I could give that a try, or use another dark Maran rooster from the hatches. I wonder how my older male would stand up to so much fun

fergy623

fergy623
New Here

niglefritz wrote:You've most likely seen these. It is all that my search found:

http://marans-club.chez-alice.fr/nuniang.htm#NUNI
http://maransofamericaclub.com/blackmarans.php

Thanks for the links, they are of great help. and nice to see them posted in various places. I see you have 1 cuckoo hen. I happen to have plenty of roosters if you are interested? all Cuckoo. or maybe you want a darker one too? I only have Marans. and they sure taste good. Plus they lay the darker eggs
where do you live?

9Marans! From the beggining of time. Empty far, far away Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:21 pm

niglefritz

We lost a bunch that we had to something, and she was the only survivor. She's a real trooper. She's now the kids' pet...so gentle.

I live in western MB. That is a bit far. Thanks for the offer, though!

If all works out, we should be getting some black coppers this coming spring from a lady who got some eggs from Dan's flock. Yippee! We will get both BCM and blues. bounce cheers I am SO excited, can't you tell?

10Marans! From the beggining of time. Empty Re: Marans! From the beggining of time. Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:51 pm

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I am un sure what you will find when you breed them back. You may just have black masking up everything else. So when you breed back to anything else you might not get black or even cucook. Any ways breed and see

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum