Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Roundworms !

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Roundworms ! Empty Roundworms ! Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:06 pm

Misouki

New Here

I have been quite upset in founding out that my chickens have roundworms. Very depressing as I never had any thing like that before and I keep a very clean coop. I found out that it would have been a good practice to prevent this outbreak by deworming twice/year. I really wish someone would have pass down that knowledge. It is preventative medicine. I will use apple cider vinegar in their water from now on and garlic.

So very very early this morning I administered Piperazine and I see this morning that they are pooping with some little white worms in them. The discouraging thing is that they are eating them!!! Out one way, in the other! iGeejavascript:emoticonp('tongue')So my questions now are:

Are we not to eat the eggs for a while? If so, how long?

When should I do a repeat? I read 2 weeks or one month.

Also read that it could be a good idea to give them Ivermectine after 2 weeks.

Can someone enlight me on this I would appreciate it very much and could be very useful for other.

Thank-you, Misouki

2Roundworms ! Empty Re: Roundworms ! Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:11 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Dont beat your self up. Worms are in every creature in varing amounts, even people. I am not sure about egg withdrawl with piprazine I would assume yes dont eat the eggs. You will probably need to dose a few times to get all stages of worms. Some people believe ivermectin should have a egg withdrawl but I have used it and consumed eggs and have read about people who dont do a withdrawl. Your call. I would deworm them every 2 weeks for probably 3 treatments if they seem that loaded then quarterly.

I am sure you will have other opinions given.

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

3Roundworms ! Empty Re: Roundworms ! Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:45 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't think it is possible to eliminate all worms. What I aim for is to keep their numbers to a reasonable amount. I think birds can surivive with some worms, but too many and it tips the balance.

Once a year I do piperazine in the water. I also piperazine my meat birds half way through their life (around 5 weeks).

I do not do egg withdrawl for piperazine. If YOU get worms the Dr is likely to give you piperazine, so if it's okay to stick in your own face, I doubt the amount that will be passed into an egg, and then cooked, will be an issue. I do NOT toss the eggs.

Yes they eat the worms, mega gag. I assume the worms come out because they are dead. Dead worms do not lay eggs, but are digested like anything else. It's eating LIVE worms or worm eggs that is a problem.

The other approach is to use Iver or Eprinex, which takes care of both internal and external bugs. The decision to toss eggs when treating with those substances is a personal decision. When I use Eprinex, I eat the eggs, but I do not sell them to anyone else! What I choose to put in my mouth is my business, but I would never assume to make that choice for one of my egg customers. So I do not sell eggs to anyone for a week after I've treated with Eprinex.

Don't panic, chickens are wormy. Keep it under control and everyone will be fine.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum